It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User
Can drinking too much water cause you to gain weight?

I know this sounds like a stupid question but I have to ask it as my bf has told me I drink too much water and says it is making me gain water weight.He says this is why wrestlers drinks gallons of water before a match to make them heavier.I drink average 8 glasses a day.+ I drink other liquids like soda.Cutting back to 2-3 a day and then a couple light beers a night some nights.I am not a very active person so is it possible I'm keeping extra water weight by not working it off or something?

Old 04-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Re: Can drinking too much water cause you to gain weight?

Water has zero calories and will not make you gain weight.The only reason you would retain water is if you had a medical condition like congestive heart failure and your body was unable to clear fluids. Sometimes if you eat alot of salt you might notice puffy eyes but it's not going to make that much difference on the scale. Your bf is wrong, drinking water is healthier for you than soda and beer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

countrykid HB User

If anything is causing you to gain weight it is the couple of light beers and soda. The more water you drink the more it flushes out the impurities in your system. 8 glasses of water a day is what is recommended by doctors and nutritionists. Look at what the other foods you are eating.
Don't deprive your body of water then you will really put on the pounds. Your body will retain the little bit of water you are drinking to supply your body. I was always told the more you drink the more easily it is for your body to release the extra water. It only stores the water when it thinks it is not going to get any for a time.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

This is what I thought.I know all the other liquids cause weight gain but I guess I was just trying to see if it is healthy to be drinking some form of liquid excessively.I'm never without "something" to drink.Always sipping on something even when doing nothing at all.He thinks I have a problem because it's like i'm scared of going thirsty I drink so much water,etc.
So then there shouldn't be any reason to stop reaching for my glass every chance I get? I am prone to UTI's though,so I'm always flushing my system because of that.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Are you always drinking just because of habit, or because you are thirsty all the time? You mention that you are always drinking, and that you are prone to UTI's... Have you ever had your blood sugar tested? These can be signs of diabetes.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Can drinking too much water cause you to gain weight?

It's important for you to continue to drink alot of water because of your frequent UTI's. Never mind what your bf says. Make sure when you urinate that you wipe from front to back so as not to introduce bacteria into your urethra and cause another infection. Plus you should urinate before and after sex for the same reasons don't mean too get personal but this is a very important preventative measure for UTI's)

Old 04-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

It has been a few yrs. since I had blood work done but I was tested for everything so I don't think I could have developed anything like diabetes in that time? I am not over weight at all.I am about 122 lbs and about 5.3 in height.I know I need to lose about 5 lbs but am only concerned about it because not even half my clothes I own fit anymore and am having problems buying new clothes for my height that will fit on me.I am eatting better and go swimming now to get in better shape.

I am extremely thirty when I wake up so I drink about 2 glasses of water after rising everyday and will wake up a few times while sleeping for the water on my nightstand.I have cut back on soda so I think my thirst was mainly due to so much caffeine everyday.Therefore,I'll drink a soda and then water water water....
Also,I was told by a Dr. that I had too much alkaline or not enough,I forgot,in my urine which was making me think I had a UTI but it wasn't.Just too much coca-cola in my system I guess.I've had an actual UTI a couple times and do all the things noted to prevent them.I've been checked for cystitis of the bladder but nothing was wrong with it.I've even been told my PH balance is fine when i'm having burning urination and inflammation at the time.No Dr. can figure it out.But by drinking a lot of water and flushing my system I haven't had this problem too much now a days.I still drink soda but I'll just drink water in between and it all seems to work out.If I don't though I am in SO much agony.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
(male)

JonnyApplesauce HB User

Yes, drinking water causes you to gain weight, but definately not fat. The water weight he was talking about only lasts until you pee it out, boxers dehydrate themselves before a weigh in to get into a low class then drink up after. The opposite also occurs, if one guy/girl is lighter than their opponent they can drink water to get up there.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Can it cause you to gain Weight? Yes! Gain Fat? No. You can gain Weight in Water...to an Extent..your Body can only hold so much water..then you Let it go. If your Water weight is already low then drinking water will cause you to gain. But so what? Weigh yourself in the morning then at night..you will see that you gained weight...It will be water...then the next morning your weight will be down. again..it will be water.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Closed Thread