It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User
The truth about "diet pills"

Hello,

Diet pills have become much more common among my classmates. According to some of these labels, these pills work by boosting the metabolism. In addition to this, in conjunction with a reasonable diet and a moderate exercise plan, one can lose mostly fat weight rather quickly. But how does one wean off of the pill and not gain back the weight dropped from the artificial metabolism boost? Leaving the pill will lower the metabolism, right? Wouldn't one either need to fully adjust the diet or increase physical activity in order to suppliment the drop in metabolism? Or is the cruel trick to the diet pill that one is stuck using it for a large portion of life?

Old 04-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Yulka128 HB User
Re: The truth about "diet pills"

Well, you can use not metabolism speeders but fat blockers or appetite supressants. They don`t speed your metabolism up.
So you won`t have such problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

metabolic aids can be good to give initial encouragement so the diet is continued due to slightly faster results; this can be important as many people lose heart if they don't notice results quickly. this will mean the person is more likely to stick with the diet and get into a regular exercise routine- basically keeps interest in the diet/ early days of exercise until healthy habits have been formed (habits take about 30 days to form).
considering you can do more exercise, and more often, as you get fitter, that drop of metabolism from the pill will be replaced by increased metabolism from doing more exercise, as intensive exercise carries on burning calories in the hours after the exercise has fininshed, and exercise (esp. weight training) builds lean tissue which is metabolically active and so you burn more calories even when you're resting (50 calories more for each extra pound of lean tissue).
diet aids just speed things up a bit to begin with for weight loss, just in the same way ergogenic aids can speed things up a bit intitially with body building programmes.

alex.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Yulka128 HB User

Yes, I agree on that! You do need to see results to keep going.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I read that Hoodia is great to take.. it is all natural and makes you feel full, thus causing you to not overeat or snack too much. I'd say this sounds like a healthier way to go, instead of diet pills that speed up the metabolism. Most of those all of some kind of risk of another and can make you have to keep taking them to see results.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa
I read that Hoodia is great to take.. it is all natural and makes you feel full, thus causing you to not overeat or snack too much. I'd say this sounds like a healthier way to go, instead of diet pills that speed up the metabolism. Most of those all of some kind of risk of another and can make you have to keep taking them to see results.

Hoodia has Great potential......but there is a big problem....MOST of the Hoodia that is out there is is fake or doesnt have the active ingrediant that suppress's the appetite. Even some of the manufacturers dont realize that their product has bogus goods in them as the "Scam" has been perpetuated by the Exporter in Africa.

So you dont really know what stuff is good and what stuff isnt. It has been estimated that there is more Hoodia for sale then what Even exists....

The Only place that grow and exports Hoodia Legally in Africa supplies only to The Makers of Slimfast who own the rights to it.

So until Slimfast comes out with their Hoodia Products it is Buyer beware.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa
but, again, surely the moment the appetite suppressant is withdrawn the original appetite will return and so potentially the weight that was lost will be regained? the same logic applies whatever the type of diet aid. the effect only last when the person is taking it. the pills don't correct deficiencies or inbalances they simply act as a means to speed up the process initially. other longer term solutions must always be found.
in the context of appetite and appetite suppressants, a good long term solution would be exercise and good diet. diet pills will indeed control the appeteite (hoodia contains a substance called P57 which is 10,000 times more potent than glucose and fools the hypothalmus in to thinking that much glucose is in the body thus shutting off the deire to eat more), but a good diet (with good dietary habits established during the initial period of appeteite suppressant use) comprised of low GI complex carbohydrate foods and moderate amounts of lean protein and unsaturated fats is the best long term natural appetite suppressant. if excessive appetite still remains, regular exercise can burn off the surplass calories ingested and in time can improve the regulation of blood sugar levels, thus also regulating appetite (again the exercise routine would be established during th einitial period of appetite suppressant use).

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 05-11-2006 at 01:52 AM.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Yulka128 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
but, again, surely the moment the appetite suppressant is withdrawn the original appetite will return and so potentially the weight that was lost will be regained? the same logic applies whatever the type of diet aid. the effect only last when the person is taking it.
No, it`s not exactly right!
You see, the more you eat - the bigger your stomach is. It stretches along as it gets filled up.
It also has the opposit result - the less you eat - the smaller it becomes. So, the result should stay after you stop talking the pills - as there is less space to put the food in - so you continue to eat less. But.. it starts streatching of cours later on if you don`t controll your portion size!
You can learn about the effect of shrinking stomach in the abcence of food if you read about World War Two. About those people in concentration camps... who were dying later, when they first ate the whole portions of food first time after they were released! They died because they ate too much at once - their stocmach shrank during their camp time. so - your stomach will stay smaller after you stop taking Hoodia!

Last edited by Yulka128; 05-11-2006 at 10:34 AM.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
(female)

I'llbefineNtime HB User

I tried Hoodia for 2 weeks and it was a great energy booster! However, I it had my heart racing at least once a day around 4pm. It did not supress my appetite but it did give me energy. One side effect of it was the numbness in my fingers or a tingling type sensation. I took them for 3 weeks and stopped b/c I didn't like the racing feeling I got.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Yulka128 HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulka128
No, it`s not exactly right!
You see, the more you eat - the bigger your stomach is. It stretches along as it gets filled up.
It also has the opposit result - the less you eat - the smaller it becomes. So, the result should stay after you stop talking the pills - as there is less space to put the food in - so you continue to eat less. But.. it starts streatching of cours later on if you don`t controll your portion size!
You can learn about the effect of shrinking stomach in the abcence of food if you read about World War Two. About those people in concentration camps... who were dying later, when they first ate the whole portions of food first time after they were released! They died because they ate too much at once - their stocmach shrank during their camp time. so - your stomach will stay smaller after you stop taking Hoodia!
actually you're right. intersting point about WW2 too. but still important to also establish good habits or else it will gradually stretch back to what it was!

alex.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:32 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Yulka128 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
still important to also establish good habits or else it will gradually stretch back to what it was!
alex.
Yeah! I agree with you! But I still think, that diet pills, if not abused can help a bit with better eating habits.

Closed Thread