It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

mr_panicky HB User
Can a lot of water make you hungry? Am I drinking too much water?

I drink 150-200 oz water a day. Can it make you hungry?

Is it too much?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
(female)

Anjjou72 HB User
Re: Can a lot of water make you hungry? Am I drinking too much water?

The question is, do you feel hungry? Or hungrier than usual? Drinking that much water isn't bad, especially when you take into account your size and activity level. I don't know your size or activity level, but the bigger you are and the more active you are, the more water you require. For instance, I'm 5'3" 132, very active and I take in a minimum of a gallon a day, (128oz) sometimes more. Some people are shocked to know I drink that much because they think it's excess. Mind you these are the people who only drink when thirsty not realizing the body requires water long before a thirst is generated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anjjou72 For This Useful Post:
Anisha Kaul (11-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

panicky,

Thats a LOT of water. No, it won't make you hungry, but forcing water can result in water intoxication invvolving the loss of too many electrolytes and the overdilution of the ones not yet lost. It also goes primarily by the term hyponatremia.

Water intake of 150-200 ounces is really appropriate only for high heat- high exertion environments with profuse sweating. A gallon (128 ounces) is more reasonable and certainly enough to wash away the toxins produced during dieting.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Has anyone heard of polydipsia(spelling)? I'm not saying that's what you have Mr. Panicky. I was just wondering if people have heard of it. It's a rare condition where people have, like an addiction, to drinking fluids, such as water. They just keep drinking and drinking throughout the day. It can eventually lead to serious health consequences. Sorry if I'm off topic here.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

mr_panicky HB User

I have had several major panic attacks and many anxiety attacks that brought out depression, a little OCD on my health, agorophobia, and made me realize that I was a hypochondriac.

I weighed 317lb and I know weigh 275-280 and thats approx 5lbs a week due to drinking massive amounts of Mt Dew, massive consumptions of fast food for the last 10-12 years. Thankfully I am young, 30 yrs old, don't smoke or drink and my family medical history for heart disease is good. I have passed several tests on my heart and how Lance Armstrong thanks his cancer saved/changed his life my panic/anxiety was a big wake up call about my health and I believe that panic/anxiety has done the same for me.

I just happened to have 3-4 32 oz Taco Bell Star Wars Episode 1 cups I use to measure my water intake but I will definately keep my daily water consumption to 128 oz of water and under.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:54 AM   #6
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

Wow, I never knew that drinking too much water could be dangerous. I always assumed, the more the merrier.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I think a good rule of thumb is to drink water when thirsty and then a little extra. So many dieters take a good thing, like extra water wo wash away dietary wastes, and run it into the ground with overkill.

Too much water can KILL and probaly faster than too little.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-15-2006 at 07:34 AM.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
(male)

SteveGn HB User

I agree with Lenin.

Are we supposed to also eat before we're actually hungry? Before all this "minimum eight glasses of water a day" advice came about, I'm sure people only drank water when they actually felt thirsty and stopped when their thirst was quenched. If today's water consumption recommendations are accurate, then that would mean that throughout the history of mankind, excluding the last couple decades (or whenever the water recommendations came along), everyone must of lived in a state of constant dehydration. I doubt that we were designed or evolved that way. When your thirsty drink; when your hungry eat, IMO. Also, assuming that the rest of the animal kingdom drinks only when they're thirsty, are they then in a constant state of dehydration, as well? Again, I doubt that they were designed or evolved that way. Water a plant too much and it dies!

I saw a report by Peter Jennings a few years ago in which they couldn't find one single bit of research that supported the water intake recommendations. Does anyone know of any reliable research that's been done - research that wasn't backed by some water bottling company? Maybe I'm wrong here, but didn't the water recommendations surface about the same time that water bottling companies went into business? If that's true, then that should raise suspicion, unless of course, reliable research has shown the recommendations to be accurate. Unfortunately, in today's money driven society, can anyone really know for sure whether any research that has been done is truly reliable?

Just thought I would rant a bit. Not trying to offend anyone. I drink when I'm thirsty and I feel just fine. Steve

Last edited by SteveGn; 06-24-2006 at 09:03 PM.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

SteveGn,
I hear what you're saying. But you have to remember what the human body is made up of, concerning water intake. Some animals besides humans, such as cats, don't require near as much water as humans. I've seen various reliable information which shows that a person can start to get dehydrated long before they start to feel thirsty. And the info. wasn't for advertisements for companies that sell water, and things such as that.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Count me in with the drinking when thirsty crowd.

However, I live in the humid tropical state of Florida and drinking 200 oz in the hot summer months is very, very easy to do. When tourists come here, they are strongly advised to carry water with them at all times.

I am lucky enough to live in a part of the state where we see some semblence of a wintertime. The summer months average a temperature of 95, a heat index of 105 to 110 (humid, sweating all the time, even at rest, hot). The winter months, the lows are as low as the teens, the highs can make it up to the 60s. Usually it's somewhere in between. In the winter months, I find myself drinking between 50 and 75 oz.

I've actually discussed drinking too much water with my doctor. I had a kidney stone scare last year, and he advised to drink as much water as I could until it either passed or my ultrasound results came back. On a follow up, I asked him if I could drink too much water. He said if I drank all day, every minute, for weeks on end, yes. Drinking extra to lose some weight, to deal with kidney stones, upper GI troubles or gallstones will not hurt me. BTW, I had a full battery of blood work done while consuming copious amounts of water waiting for this dreaded stone, and my labs were fine.

So depending on the circumstance, I drink 200+ oz of water a day or 50, and I seem to be fine either way. I just listen to my body -- or my doctor

Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGn

Are we supposed to also eat before we're actually hungry? Before all this "minimum eight glasses of water a day" advice came about, I'm sure people only drank water when they actually felt thirsty and stopped when their thirst was quenched. If today's water consumption recommendations are accurate, then that would mean that throughout the history of mankind, excluding the last couple decades (or whenever the water recommendations came along), everyone must of lived in a state of constant dehydration.
Except we also once ate fruit all day too. Which provides water. Many animals don't drink water at all, but get it from their food.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #12
(female)

therapydog56 HB User

You should drink more gatorade or juices because they replace the eletrolyes water just washes them out and does not replace them,

Old 08-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
(female)

CalistaBear HB User

I believe that water cannot hurt you. Have you ever heard of the Water Cure? Look it up. Take your actual body weight number and divide that by 2. Then devide that by 8. Whatever number you're left with is how many 8 oz glasses you should consume per day, every day! More than that is not necessary. So drink away your problems!!

Old 08-14-2006, 03:00 AM   #14
(male)

808Lion HB User

why not just divide by 16?

Old 08-14-2006, 05:37 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

What that calculation is doing is taking bodyweight in pounds and dividing by 2 to get water intake in ounces (the 8's cancel out.)
What it does is overestimate the amount of water a grossly obese person needs. After all why account for the water needs of fat deposits, there isn't any because fat doesn't contain any water.

If the formula took LEAN body weight and divided it might be a little closer to reality. THe formula says that a lean 100 pound women would need 50 ounces of water (probably too little) and a 400 pound man would need 200 ounces (probably WAY too much.)

Just to keep it in perspective, the old rule of thumb was 8- 8 ounce glasses a day or 64 ounces or 1/2 gallon. Doubling that to 16- 8 ounce glasses is a LOT of water but takes into account some extra water to keep flushing extra wastes produced by dieting seems sensible.
Tripiling the recommendation to 24 glasses if water or 196 ounces seems excessive by most standards and quadrupling it to 36 glasses of water, 256 ounces, or 2 GALLONS of water is dangerously nuts inless one is exercising in inferno conditions and sweating out quarts and quarts of water.

There is excellent and frequent evidence of trained athletes who fell over dead from water intoxication..too much water. There is NO evidence of dieters who stopped losing weight because they drank under 100 ounces of water/day...NONE!

Closed Thread