It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
(male)

ksaguy HB User
How much Flaxseed OIl and Cod Liver oil to take?

well i have been taking 525 mg Cod Lover Oil capsule from sevenseas (one-a-day) for a few months now. and i started taking flaxseed oil (liquid) for about few weeks ago. please note that i got flaxseeds and then had the oil taken out of them with no filters (all the goodness).
now i have heard and read that these two should be taken in ratios.

can someone please tell me how much pure flaxseed oil should i consume every day with 525 mg of cod liver oil? what should the ratio be?

also can anyone kindly confirm that FIsh Oil and Cod Liver oil are basically the same but because of the oil of cod liver, it has Additional vitamins (A,D etc).

one last thing, is 525 CLO a day enough or should i consume more?

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
(male)

ksaguy HB User
Re: How much Flaxseed OIl and Cod Liver oil to take?

i am sure someone here knows the answer of my question.

Can anyone please reply?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

I'll try here....The ratios you are refering to are the omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids?? Well both Cod Liver Oil and Flax are very high in omega-3 and not in omega-6. As far as a ratio between both of them i don't know but i'd either cut down on Flax or i'd add Evening Primrose oil to add omega-6. Yes cod liver has A and D and fish oils have little or none....

Old 05-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
(female)

x0ticsin HB User

Are you a vegan or a vegetarian? cuz if you're not...i believe its better to eat a flaxseed cereal or snack bar and eat fish instead of taking supplements. Fish and flax seeds are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids but also many other nutrients that are beneficial to the body. I'm taking nutrition classes along with my biology classes at a UC. We had a special guest speaker yesterday who gave an good lecture on dietary supplements for one of my nutrition classes who mentioned fish oil omega fatty acids and the supplement vs. eating the foods themselves.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:19 AM   #5
(male)

ksaguy HB User

Thank you very much x0ticsin and 6foot3 for replying.

Well x0ticsin, i am not a vegan or a vegetarian but i eat healthy.
you are right about taking actual fod instead of supplements but the problem is, i live on my own and i cook for myself but i cant cook fish frequently because of lack of time and interest to do so.

i do eat veggies though. lol.

i just want to know the amount of each to be taken.
Thanks alot for your input.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaguy

i just want to know the amount of each to be taken.
Thanks alot for your input.
The question is why are you taking cod liver oil?? For EPA/DHA? Heres my advice...get rid of cod liver oil for if you take a high amount for EPA/DHA you risk vitamin D and A toxicity. Get rid of Flax as this has to be converted in the body to EPA/DHA and just take Fish oils as these are already converted. Little or no health problems then i'd taike a softgel in morning and nite (1000mg). I personally take 10 soft gels a day with no problems just so i maintain good cardiovascular health and also for anti inflammation. If your under 40 then you can take less.....

Old 05-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
Yes cod liver has A and D and fish oils have little or none....
fish oil (from the body of the fish) has about half the amount again of the EPA and DHA element also found in cod liver oil. of the top of my head for the supplements we sell: fish oil, 1000mg- 180mg EPA, 120mg DHA; cod liver oil, 1000mg- 110mg EPA, 90mg DHA, 100% RDA of vitamins A and D (though i think these levels have ben topped up).

alex.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0ticsin
Are you a vegan or a vegetarian? cuz if you're not...i believe its better to eat a flaxseed cereal or snack bar and eat fish instead of taking supplements. Fish and flax seeds are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids but also many other nutrients that are beneficial to the body. I'm taking nutrition classes along with my biology classes at a UC. We had a special guest speaker yesterday who gave an good lecture on dietary supplements for one of my nutrition classes who mentioned fish oil omega fatty acids and the supplement vs. eating the foods themselves.
indeed. the whole flax seed gives benefits that you will not get from just the isolated oil. the whole seed contains lignins that have an anti-oxidant benefit and hormonal balancing action. they also generally rich in fibre and contain a special type of fibre called mucilage (also found in marshmallow and slippery elm) which creates a protective and soothing coating on the lining of the gut (very beneficial for IBS).
fish is a valuble source of protein and B-vitamins. however, i would say with the price of fish if you need large amounts of EPA or DHA for therapeutic reasons then it would be hard to get that from fish. you'd be eating a load of it EVERYDAY (how much would 6foot3 have to eat to get his 10,000mg worth of fish oil? lol), you'd get sick of the stuff and it'd be bloody expensive (well you could become an eskimo i suppose and catch your own!)!!! okay, eat the fish for the all round benefits but if you need extra EPA and DHA then the supplements are the only viable option for the reasons stated.

alex.

Last edited by thedeadrat83; 05-22-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:50 PM   #9
(male)

Iron_Fist HB User
Wink Re: How much Flaxseed OIl and Cod Liver oil to take?

I personally take 1000mg of flaxseed between meals. Others may not agree but it works well for me.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-05-2006 at 10:55 PM. Reason: [Please do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.]

Old 06-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I have no use for flax oil becasue Canola oil that I use for everyday cooking has plenty of alpha-lenolenic acid, or ALA, which is the plant based Omega-3. THe Canola is MUCH MUCH cheaper than flax oil. Canola can be readily be found for $4 a GALLON.
Neither is a source of DHA or EPA which are the heavier animal based Omega-3 oils. Recommendations are to get a gram total of these 2 acids and it can be gotten very effectively with 5 grams of cod-liver oil, a teaspoonfull. This amount of cod-liver oil has about 5,000 Units of Vitamin A, and 500 Units of Vitamin D, almost an ideal amount of each.

However you take it, aim for a total of a gram of DHA + EPA...andd you can only get it from fish, no plant sourced ALA can be converted in sufficient quantites.

THere is some evidence that the ALA's are also good for us but the real winners in cardiac health are the DHA's and EPA's.
If I see a bargain in capsules, I'll get the fish oild and must take 4 of the 1200 mg. capsules to get theis much. Usually the cod liver oil in a bottle is cheaper for me.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-01-2006 at 04:53 AM.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Alright, I have a question on the Cod Liver Oil and vitamin A thing. I take a teaspoon of cod liver oil in the morning and the evening. I take a multi-vitamin 3 times a day that gives me a combinded total of 15,000 IU beta-carotene. Now I also take 25,000 IU of beta-carotene along with other anti-oxidants before and after my weight lifting workouts 5 days a week. I generally eat 4-6 servings of veggies everyday as well. I have been doing this for over a year now. Does this sound dangerous?

Old 06-02-2006, 04:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Max,

Vitamin A in doseages of 40,000 IU is definitely way above the toxic level and over a period of several months can cause a lot of harm.
Beta-Carotene, on the other hand, while CONVERTIBLE to Vitamin A, is convertible at inefficient levels...USDA just weighed in at for 0 to 11%. Safe upper limit usually recommended is between 10,000 and 25,000 IU's depending on who you believe.

Remember though, that any Vitamin A as fish oil is the real stuff (retinol) and more potent than beta-carotene.

I'd venture you say that you are taking a risky amount of these Vitamin A sources. Try to cut some out. THe worst damage of hypervitaminosis A is to the skin and LIVER.

Remember though, individual tolerance to Vitamin A varies wildly among people with some suffering problems at 10,000 I.U/day and others showing no harm at 100,000.

Thing is, after a certain minimum, little is to be gained by piling more and more in.

Does your Vitamin D intake soar as well from all that supplementation? Often they are packaged together...except in the 5 servings of veg.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-02-2006 at 04:59 AM.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Thanks Lenin, I know there is big different between beta-carotene and retinol and from the research I have gathered beta-carotene toxicity in healthy individuals is extremely high. There are 600 cases or so in the medical literature concerning Vitamin A poisoning and world renowned expert on toxicity, Dr. John Hathcock concludes that Vitamin A poisoning (beta or retinol) does not occurr in most healthy people until they take a dose above 1000mcg per kilogram of body weight. For a 155 pound athlete that's 70,000 mcg RE (230,000 IU) of vitamin-A. I put no stock in the RDA for nutritents because it is grossly unapplicable to athletes.

Intense exercise creates an abundance of free radicals. I lift weights 5 days a week and do cardio 4 days week both at very high intensities. I am creating a huge demand and putting a big strain on my body. Therefore supplementation becomes crutial. I bracket my weight workouts (1 hr before and immediatley after) with 1000mg Vit C 400IU Vit E 25,000 IU Vit A and 200mg of alpha lipoic acid to help combat free radical damage. I am creating a high demand, well above the RDA. I am interested in your thoughts and opinions on this so what do you think about this approach.

Last edited by MaxOT26; 06-02-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Max,

What do you find to be the BENEFIT of megadosing with Vitamin A to the tune of perhaps 50,000 IU a day?

A personal experience:
An ancient health book (Adele Davis) recommended 50,000 units a day for 90 days to cure plantar's warts. I had then so bad and was getting sick of cutting them out of the soles of my feet and limping around, and by the time they increased into the dozens I was desperate for ANYTHING but surgery.
I tried it and by day 85 (that close) they miraculaously disappeared.
I was absolutely AMAZED!!!!
Years later I recommended it to a friend who was suffering with the damned things. He did it and would up in the hospital after 2 months, with an ugly red rash all over his body...his doctor diagnosed hypervitaminosis A.

I felt bad. But when I asked him about his plantar warts, he said "Oh, they went away!" A true story.

In general though, after years of trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that most claims for "Łber-suppplementation" to be a crock designed to separate the gullible from his money.
Bodybuilders seem to be the most vulerable group and there is this endless bombardment of supplements peddled by beautifully muscled hunks selling all this crap while denying to the death the truth...that they GOT the gorgeous muscularity by daily doses of testosterone, oxandrolone, deca-diabonol and HGH.

But if I got another dose of plantar warts, I must admit I might OD on Vitamin A again, but my feet have been clean since that bout 30 years ago. The cure was miraculous.

I have a strong chemical background and I know that virtually all chemical processes are oxidation-reduction reactions effectuated by "free radicals." If there ever was an effective "anti-oxidant" it would be far more deadly than high dose cyanide. And without free radical production, all life on Earth would come to a complete standstill before your next heartbeat. The major FREE RADICAL is the nascent oxygen atom, one O of the O2 molecule...it is the source of all energy production...the active form of oxygen.

Selling all this crapola with the mandatory "antioxidant" and "free radical absorbing" buzzwards had gone totally over the edge. It really is a lot of nonsense. But both terms sell to people who really don't understand what they mean so everything is touted as either one or the other. Mentally substitute the word "goodness" every time you see either term and you'll begin to appreciate the power of advertising.

I too am a bodybuilder (though an aging one) and I resent the lies spouted by BIG WEIDER and the other mega-supplement billionaires...they are lying with every ad they push (while tacitly ignoring the daily HORMONAL megadosing that actually gives the big, cut bodies to the models holding yet another 5 pounds sack of creatine..."with added 'antioxidants.'")

Last edited by Lenin; 06-03-2006 at 05:40 AM.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Amen, I agree with you 100% on the suppment companies and the media propoganda that does nothing but spew lies, crooked science, and bought and paid for "research" studies. I assure you I am not a mindless automaton that gets my fitness advice from magazines or roid-heads, and as I said earlier I put little stock in other peoples' recommendations until I see the science behind it. I am no expert on toxicity or food science, as my background is focused on sports science; however, within resent years I have been pursuing biochemistry and have found it very interesting. It is the O atom that I am referring to when I talk about the free radical damage created by exercise. Exercise intensity plays a huge role in the production of free radicals and in your bodies natural ability to fight free radical damage (which interestingly improves with regular exercise). The harder you train the more free radicals you create, and your bodies natural abilities to combat this rise in free radicals lowers with higher exercise intensities.

Your saying that antioxidants such as C, E, and A (although obviously not "perfect") don't help reduce free radical damage if they abundant in the blood stream durning the free radical bombardment surrounding intense exercise? Go further into what you know on this Lenin. Thanks!

Oh ya, great story on the plantars warts.........thats interesting!

Last edited by MaxOT26; 06-04-2006 at 04:59 PM.

Closed Thread