It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

lazedays HB User
what's with the freakin word "diet"?????

ok, why are us Americans stuck on diet???? Why can't we be like the french and call it "healthy eating" or making lifestyle change? Hearing everybody talk about diets makes me not want to be part of the healthboard. Sorry guys, When i was 12 I was an outpatient at a hospital for and eating disorder. when i was pregnant, I couldn't stand anybody to touch my growing belly. I gained 85 lbs, finally lost 85 ibs 6 years later, and fight like hell to keep it off and not go into the old habits that led me into the hospital. hearing the word diet and all the crazy stuff i read about low carb, high protien, no meat, toooooo much fruit, not enough fruit, not enough water, more diary, cut claories, eat only 1200 cals.... well it's making me sick! do we all have some form of eating disorder? is that the root to our thin obbsessions? If we all stopped trying to "diet" we would be healthier physically and emotionally wouldn't we?

Sorry, hope you don't think I'm nuts! just 1 girl trying to save the sanity of other women out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
(female)

PinstripedBabe HB User
Re: what's with the freakin word "diet"?????

hey..i know what your talking about..im currently recovering from anorexia (im usually on the eating disorder recovery boards).i usually come to the diet and nutrition boards so i can learn how to put on good weight from healthy nutritious foods to nourish my body because right now im a little malnourished from the anorexia. i hate reading about everything you just said, "low carb, high protien, no meat, toooooo much fruit, not enough fruit, not enough water, more diary, cut claories, eat only 1200 cals." first of all, right now to me, it kinda sends little triggers, like the 1200cals thingy blows my mind because my nutritionist has me on 2400 calories!! (if you want to loose weight people, there's another board for that!! the moderator even posted "this is not a weight loss board") second, i dont understand why people cant just eat when their hungry and stop when they're full but in the process eat healthy foods? ya know? I think worst thing that ever happened to america was fast, processed junky foods because people are so stupid with it. like you said, we should be like the french and eat those foods in moderation and eat everything elese healthy. well sorry if i was starting to ramble but just know that your not alone....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
(female)

lazedays HB User

pinstripebabe----THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!! Atleast one person doesn'r rhink i'm a little nuts, and agrees with me. guess we got to stay strong, keep our heads up and tell ourselve the we are on the road to a more healthy life, and we're not going to be overtaken by gimmicks and our emotions.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
(female)

lorri23 HB User

hey i just wanna say i too know where u coming from and 2 had an ed i think there is just as much obsession out their, the fad diets that claim this and the other, 4 us who have had/or have ed it just fuells r disturbed minds into havoke- i think like u potentially we all have ed;s and what i find is how can u eat norm? whateva that is how can we esp challenge our thoughts of ed only 3 comfrount media telling us conflicting advice for u eating fruit is a major achievemtnt but 2 atkins it is bad gossh how do we get out of this trap thanks 4 raising this topic
...............hey i wanna extend this board............does any1 without an ed have any view?????.........

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-25-2006 at 10:43 PM. Reason: please spell out words so that people can read and understand what you are saying. This is not an sms message site.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
(female)

lulu123 HB User

I have tried to respond to this thread 3 times now but I find I always end up focusing on weight, the physical aspect, not "diet and nutrition". So for the 4th time I'm going to try again.

You all have been discussing the connotation of the word "diet" and how it makes you FEEL. For some people it does not make any difference if we use the word "diet" or healthy eating, or change of lifestyle. If a person is excessively thin or over their ideal weight they have to discuss this problem in ways that they find useful. Hence, all the different ways to eat..Atkins
South Beach, Weight Watchers. Others even delve into the quick fixes, because we are all human and want things to be a certain way, yesterday. This this the mental part of "diet".

We cannot take away this type of discussion by simply removing the word diet from our vocabulary. There will always be another to take its place and then that word will become the next target.

I guess you might say I am "normal". A little over my ideal weight but eating nutritionally and attempting to change my lifestyle my way.

Ta for now. Very interesting discussion folks.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:50 PM   #6

mod-anon HB User

please spell out words so that people can read and understand what you are saying. This is not an sms message site.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

It is because the word "Diet" is ofton Misused. You dont actually go on a "Diet". Your "Diet" is what you eat! People change their "Diet" they dont go on one!

If I eat 5000 calories a day of Krispy cremes...that is my diet! Not a healthy one though!

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 07-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
(female)

kikidee HB User

In total agreement Lazedays! I think the problem is we all THINK we want to look like the celebs plastered all over glossy mags! yes it would be nice to have a personal trainer every day, a gym in the basement and a chef preparing us nothing but fat free, carb free every thing free meals every day! - but thats just not the real world, how many of them would just love to tuck into a chocolate bar once in a while!

Old 07-15-2006, 01:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I"m not in America, but on tv it's always discussed how there are so many very over weight people in America and then they go on to talk about fast food outlets and how so many people take advantage of those. I think fast food has done a lot of damage world wide. People used to eat a lot more wholesome food once upon a time. My parents would never let me buy Mcdonalds when i was a kid or anything like that and my mother ALWAYS had a home cooked meal made every single night of the week, plus salads/vegetables to go with it. We rarely if ever ate desserts, they were a treat not a daily occurance. We only ever used olive oil, no butter or vegetable oils for cooking. No sugar high fizzy drinks, that was only for visiters. As a child i simply followed what my parents did. To this day i have no craving for ice cream. I might eat a Mcdonalds burger once in two years. If i eat out i buy healthy. I rarely even buy take away for myself. If it's too late to cook i'll make a toasted sandwich and a side salad. I might have a glass of wine or fruit juice, herbal tea or water to drink. I do like ordinary tea and will have a instant coffee a few times per week.

So you see, it's not about how much you weight, it's about eating healthy, sensibly, knowing where to draw the line, knowing what certain foods/beverages will do to you. Sure if you go overboard it's likely you will end up the size of a house, especially if your metabolism is very slow.

So going back to the French and Europeans in general, sure some might be plump and others are thin, but you wont see the types of obese people you will get in eg: England, America, Australia. Europeans eat healthy and you wont see them gorging themselves in fast food outlets or buying take out virtually each day of the week for lunch or dinner. The ingredients they cook with are fresh, rarely canned or frozen and the odd glass of wine doesn't harm anybody.

So all in all, i think it's the way you cook your foods, the types of foods you consume and the amount of foods you consume when it comes to processed and fatty foods. Everything must have a healthy balance and then it wont hurt to have the odd hamburger and fries or dessert. As someone once said "take the T out of diet and what do you get......"

One last thing, i have seen on tv recently that a particular gene has been discovered which makes some people obese. This gene stops the person from knowing when to stop eating and they feel they have to eat non stop.

Closed Thread