It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 05:20 AM   #1
(male)

Worriedinlesta HB User
Is is okay for my girlfriend to fast?

Hi everybody!!!

Thanks for all the contributions to this board and allowing me to post....

I'm a little bit worried about my girlfriends decision to fast tomorrow and would like some advice or whether she should really speak to a doctor first... She is Hindu and obviously quite intent on making the religious obligation but if I could convince her that she needed to a doctor and he told her not to fast or delay it then she would listen or if people don't think its a big deal then I can relax

Anyway her period is over a week late at this point - We did a clearblue home pregnancy test and although I'm not sure she obeyed the instructions 100% (about 90%) it came back pretty quickly as negative and we were pretty sure it probably wasn't that anyway. I think it is probably to do with her eating as she is very skinny (35kg for just over 5 foot I think) and she has lost a bit more weight recently. She also doesn't eat regularly, often missing meals but she is fairly strong, surprisingly so for her size having grown up on an Indian farm. It could also be stress as we both have dissertations to write for our masters degrees that we are both behind on and there are other pressures as well especially for her as her family can't know about us. A final contributing factor might be that around the time her period was due we were at the end of a very physically exhausting (but fun) city break where we spent 4 solid days walking seeing sights and carrying round bags.

The fast however is pretty mild and although it lasts for 5 days milk, milk products, fruits (although not vegetables) and nuts are all allowed. She can also have roti a very plain flat Indian bread once a day.

What do you think?

Any help very much appreciated!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
(female)

Anjjou72 HB User
Re: Is is okay for my girlfriend to fast?

I wouldn't worry about it because technically speaking, a true fast involves the consumption of NO food at all. Water, juice and tea are typically the only things allowed when fasting. If she were to do that kind of fast, then I'd be worried given her size and stress level. She'll be fine. Just make sure her water intake is adequate.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 AM   #3

silkworm HB User
about fasting

hi.. well, fasting is a very wide topic b/c many people fast in different ways. hindus have another way of fasting, that is a vegan diet for a number of days usually.i dnt think there is any problem with fasting.

Last edited by silkworm; 07-07-2006 at 04:43 AM.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
(male)

Worriedinlesta HB User

Thanks for the advice

I know its not a full fast and the foods she is allowed to eat are pretty nutritious but I was concerned as the delay of her period suggested that she might not be in the best shape anyways. I know in the month of rammadan muslim women are encouraged to abandon their fasts and catch up the days later. I'm not really aware how common it is to have delays like that. It has started again now though.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

One could live on milk products and naan (bread) alone for many years and years!

Closed Thread