It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User
dairy free diet

i have problems with mys tomach and are going to try a dairy free diet. Do any of you have any suggestions what I can use as substitutes? I have a lot of gas, pain under the sternum, etc..i would appreciate any suggestions!

Old 07-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

MzK HB User
Re: dairy free diet

Have you ever tried soy milk? I'd recommend the unsweetened organic kind rather than the flavored ones for better health benefits.

Other sources of calcium are bok choy and other green leafy Chinese vegetables. They are delicious steamed and eaten with oyster sauce, or stir fried in some olive oil.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Eliminating wheat is something that many with GI track issues find helpful.

But what kinds of substitutes are you seeking? There are many, many recipes and menu plans that do not use dairy.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

I think I have trouble with dairy because I have noticed on the days I eat ice cream (fat free, no sugar added dreyers) those are the day my relux is worse. Starting on Wednesday I am going to try no dairy for a few days and see what happens. That means no butter, etc right? What is a WHEAT free diet? Thanks for all of the help!

Old 07-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
(female)

Anjjou72 HB User

I'm dairy free as well, with the exception of having ice cream maybe twice a month. It's not that I'm allergic to dairy, but is causes me to have horrible congestion and breathing problems. Green leafy vegetables are a great source of calcium as are raw almonds. Also consider a liquid calcium w/ magnesiumn supplement. Calcium is very important for us women!

I don't know much about soy milk because I'm allergic to soy. I do know however that too much soy is not good for us. There is also rice milk and that is ok, but it is quite watery. Good for cereal, but I personally wouldn't pour myself a glass of it!

Wheat itself is a whole other issue and you can find it in all sorts of packaged stuff like bread of course, cereal, pasta, and other convenient type foods. To avoid wheat you're best to stick with whole foods that you'll find on the perimeter of the grocery store, and be an AVID ingredient reader! You'll find a lot of things that contain wheat!

Don't worry about excluding dairy and wheat, you won't starve! I'm allergic to wheat as well as all of the whole grains, (and a whole lot of other stuff) and I don't starve. Eating out is a pain in the butt sometimes, and so is shopping, but it's not impossible.

Best of luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Aaaah, reflux. I had a friend with reflux who struggled with her diet for quite a while and found relief when she finally admitted that she needed to cut dairy. (I have a cousin who insists dairy is causing her no problem with her reflux, but I think she is in denial. She won't even try, and follows her physicians recommendation to drink 3 glasses of milk (of all things!) for calcium. Boy, I'd develop reflux if I drank 3 glasses of milk a day!)

But I digress . . . Take is slow . . . experiment . . . maybe butter would be okay . . . or maybe some other forms of dairy like yogurt or ricotta would be okay for you. Try eliminating different things and see. People react differently.

Closed Thread