It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
(female)

specialK12 HB User
Wink organic really better?

is organic really healthier i eat loads of veggies but cant afford organic im just wondering if im doing more harm than good???????
also does ne one know of any herbs that can help depression ... ive herd st. johns wart????

one more........ i take like almost an hr to eat lunch im wondering if it does ne damage to take long amounts of time to eat ...... i seem to just like to pace myself and i feel more confitable ....... thanks

Old 07-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
(female)

sarabellaefc HB User
Re: organic really better?

First, you are certainly not doing more harm than good eating non-organic veggies! Obviously, the fewer pesticides, the better... but if you can't afford it, you can't afford.

Second, I don't really buy into the whole organic craze that seems to be everywhere. Farmers markets, sure. But the ones at the supermarkets are just big corporations like all the other vegetable producers and, have in fact successfully lobbied the governments to have the standards changed so they can label their food "organic" (i.e. so they can charge more).

I've tried St. John's Wart for depression, but it didn't do a thing for me. Others I know swear by it. I think it's different for everyone.

I've never heard of damaging yourself from eating too slowly. In fact, all the evidence points to the exact opposite.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

specuialK,

Is organic better? Probably, but not better enough to warrant the price tags on these items. Maybe if I had $$millions$$ to spare I'd feel differently. But right now I just giggle at the eggs at $4 a dozen.

St. John's Wort: I tried it for SAD (seasonal depression)...it made things WORSE. I couldn't GIVE them away. I recommend against SJW.

Sunlight and exercise worked a lot better.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

I second that for Exercise...running is a great antidepressant.

As For Organic......It is Probaby better for us and I think It is definately better for the environment.

When you Eat organic you arent just eating something better for you but you are supporting a better environment.

I buy Organic whenever I can but only if the price is comparable. Luckily Where I live some of the grocery stores have their own line of organic products which are ofton Less expensive then brand names. the exception is Meat and Veggies..they are always more expensive and I rarely buy them.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 07-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
(female)

AmandaH HB User

Yeah, and the $5.00 half-gallon of milk.

I do buy organic when I can, but I can't pay $10 for a gallon of milk.

Closed Thread