It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

qwerty3 HB User
Random question about CORN

Sorry this is sort of gross but I was always told that when you eat corn you poop it out whole. I eat a lot of corn and never noticed this. But a few days ago I ate corn and it happened. I'm not sure why all of sudden it happened (it could be because I started taking fiber pills???). But my question is what is the deal with corn? Is it really pooped out whole..it looks like it...and if so is corn good for you...how can the nutrients get into your body? And if it does go out whole how do the calories get into your body?

thanks i know its a random question

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User
Re: Random question about CORN

Corn, as good as it tastes, is not easily digested (as you discovered) and, in fact, mostly goes through the digestive tract unless it is ground into flour. This is one reason why we should never feed babies corn, because as cute as it is to watch them nibble on the cob, the results do show up in the next BM. It's usually not as obvious in adults but it does happen. Probably the volume of the BM hides the minute amount of kernel corn, but the more corn you eat at a meal, the more you will see later on.

Corn is listed as one of the five highest intolerant foods, along with wheat, soy, dairy and citric acid. I'm not read up on the nutritional value of corn though I know we do absorb it's calories (that's why it's not allowed in any reputable weightloss dietary plans) and probably what nutrients it contains are minimal and we are actually better off if we limit the amount of corn we eat. Especially the corn syrup that's being put into so many pre-packeged products at the grocery store. There's no health benefits in corn syrup, it's basically corn sugar and not good for you.

Why not do an online research on the pros and cons of eating corn and it's byproducts and see if you can get an answer? You've sparked my curiosity to learn more. But, personally, I hardly ever eat corn/cornbread myself as it's heavy in my stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread