It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

macss HB User
HELP! cholesterol and triglyceride levels too high!

I just found out that my cholesterol levels and triglycerides are too high. I was wanting to know what foods I should eat besides oat meal and apple sauce? I have increased my fiber intake and fluid intake (water) and also trying to improve my exercise. I am finding that while I am trying to lose weight, which is not alot, I still would enjoy having some sugars
I have read that according to your total daily calorie intake, it should be 30%.
I have also read 10%, I am worried that this is still to much fat intake when you are trying to get your levels down. I need help on some advise and advise to what other foods I can eat that will be beneficial.

Also, Can Estrogen play a role in ^ levels?

Thanks,
macss

Old 09-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
(female)

joniann HB User
Re: HELP! cholesterol and triglyceride levels too high!

Estrogen can play a role with a falsley elevated cholesterol. If you are taking a birth control pill, you may need one that has a higher level of progestrone in it.
Did you get the breakdown of the cholesterol numbers? HDL? LDL? Having a high HDL is what you want and exercise will produce this.
In terms of the triglyceride levels, they are typically elevated with an excess of carbohydrates. Again, exercise is your ticket.
In the meantime, I would focus on lean foods with a moderate amount of carbohydrates. Begin an exercise program of 30-60 minutes daily and you should see a marked difference in your numbers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

I don't know much about high trigs, because I've never had that problem; however, I have dealt with high cholesterol. My mother-in-law has high trigs and they told her to watch her fat and carb intake. Me, I'm lucky. I just need to watch my total fat intake. I find that sat. fats are low, if I concentrate on total fat intake. According to the pamphlets from the AHA, which you can get for free, the total fat intake should be less than 30% of your total cal. and the sat. fat should be 10% or less. They also recommend the DASH diet, which you can find on the internet for free from the USDA website.

I try to keep my total fat intake between 10-25%. (10% is usually drastic measures for heart patients) I take in 1400 cal. and 16-27 g. of total fat, which is enough to keep my body in top shape. Keep in mind that I am only 115 lbs., but still have to keep my diet in check. I try to exercise 45-60 min./day. The diet really isn't that hard to keep up with. Just think lots of fruit and veggies, stay away from red meat as much as possible, stick to chicken and seafood, keep all snacks single servings with less than 3 g. of total fat in them.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I've been reading the book The South Beach Diet (although I'm not following the diet) and it's designed specifically to improve triglicerides and bad cholesterol. Briefly, you cut way down on starches like bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes, and certain kinds of fatty foods (I don't remember which are good and which are bad). It would probably be worth your time to read it.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
(female)

macss HB User

Thank you all!

I want to say that I have had a total hysterectomy and have been on estradial for 7 yrs. I have gotten my labs done for the estrogen levels, and the doctor keeps telling me that my levels are normal, I finally this last time had asked for a copy and I noticed that what it says for post menopausal is no more than 27. and mine was 77. I am under the age of 65, but I feel I should still be classified in the postmenopausal state. I honestly feel that my levels have been high for some time now and it could be linked to this med.

I weighed 128 and this last week I have been dieting and now down to 123. What I have been noticing is that when Im watching my intake of total fat, that my calorie intake is 900-1000, and that is pushing it. I want my weight to go down to 115 like it is suppose to.(for my height and body frame).

just to add the levels of my labs= chol-243, trig-645, LDL-off the charts, HDL-44. No high blood pressure either, its low.

Im currently not on any chol/trig meds to lower it, I wanted to try to decrease it myself, but when I look at these figures, I dont know if Im doing the right thing.?

I will look into the south beach diet, I have heard alot about this diet.

Thanks guys for the info.

macss

Old 09-05-2006, 05:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

The oral estrogen (estradiol) will raise your triglyceride levels...and that is your largest problem.
Perhaps LESS of it might help especiall if there is evidence that your blood levels are high enough...or even TOO high.

(I'm not really much of a WIZ on female hormones though.)

Closed Thread