It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

Joanboo HB User
Post HELP - Small Cell Lung Cancer

I need some advise on my husbands small cell lung cancer. I don't understand the Blood Counts and what it means. After chemo he usually needs blood transfusions. The cancer has spread from his lungs, liver and bone marrow.........is this the problem...the bone marrow??????? Is there any food he should be eating to help this situation. I know Peter Jennings died very quickly from this.......April - August 2005. My husband was dianosed in June and has had three chemo treatments and 10 radition....help..thank you.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: HELP - Small Cell Lung Cancer

Hey Joanboo.....Cancer is really tough especially since its spreading as most DR's would give up on it. But i do know the cancer fighter foods are the Crucerferous vegetables (brocolli,brussle sprouts,cailiflower,cabbage) have powerful compounds that prevent and /or fight cancer. Also onions and peppers have Quercetin and green teas have EGCG'S and Catechins. Also herbs Curcumin and Ginger are cancer fighters. Also take high amounts of Vitamin-C to raise immune cell Interferon and take Pancreatic Enzymes on empty stomach to dissolve protein coating around cancer cells so immune cells can attack. Lastly go very low sugar as this gives fuel to these abnormal cells. I wish you and your husband sucess on this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Joanboo,

As you know small cell carcinoma of the lung is perhaps the most aggressive cancer a human can get.
Since it is so far metasticized, there is probably little reason to do any more radiation and he should entertain only those forms of chemo that will make him feel better rather than worse.
If he can still travel, why not go somewhere where you both want to go.

Many of the chemo treatments produce anemia with or without bone marrow involvement with the cancer.

Try to get him on some sort of systemic experimental treatment as long as it isn't likely to make him feel worse.

His prognosis is very, very poor even for the short term..

Old 09-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
(female)

shadowcharmed HB User

My aunt had small cell carcinoma, in the lymph system, but which almost certainly started in the lung. Her initial prognosis was 5 weeks, but she actually survived just under 2 years. However, it has to be said that for much of those 2 years she was very unwell, either from the cancer, or from the treatment (4 separate lots of chemo, plus radiotherapy, and steroids for the associated brain tumours). As was previously said, it is the most aggressive form of cancer, and as far as I know, has a practically zero cure rate. Maximum survival time is given as 2 years.
I am very sorry that your husband has this diagnosis.
As far as nutrition goes, I have heard that eating/drinking nothing but fresh, juiced, raw fruit and veg (absolutely nothing else) can at least assist the immune system, and may stop him picking up other illnesses/infections. But unless he is already a strict vegan and likes juiced veg, I can't imagine it's a very attractive proposition for one's last few months of life. I believe that it is also only effective if all other treatments are stopped, as the chemotherapy will negate any good effects of the nutrition.
Chemotherapy basically kills off blood cells. Ideally, you would want it to only kill cancerous cells, but unfortunately, it also kills the healthy white cells which are what you need to fight illness and infection. But that is why they do a blood count (a CBC or Complete Blood Count, counts the proportion of red cells, white cells and platelets in the blood) - your white cells have to reach a certain proportion of your blood in order for you to be considered healthy enough for your next round of chemo - which kills off the white cells. You can see how it's a vicious circle.
Having seen what my aunt went through, I would be inclined to agree with the previous poster. While your husband is still well enough, DO STUFF! Travel, eat out, talk - lots, anything he'll really regret not doing when it's too late.
I wish you both the best, and hope that he stays as comfortable and pain-free until the end.

Emma x

Old 09-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
(female)

Joanboo HB User

Thank you all for your help and prayers - Bless you all. We need all the prayers we can get. I believe prayers are answered..

Closed Thread