It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
(male)

northeastguy HB User
Protein makes me sick?

I feel like hell after I have a lot of protein. I have tried protein supplements (Whey protein powder) in the past and have had the same feeling after taking them. I decided to give it another crack and so far I have the same feeling. My symptoms are heartburn type feeling and swollen throat (swallowing is really weird and annoying). Is this normal? Will it improve? Should I stop taking the supplements or fight through the bad feelings.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 04:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Protein makes me sick?

northeast guy,

How do you take the protein supplement? In a thick creamy shake?

A couple options: you can switch to a soy based protein powder or give it up entirely.

Few people in the United States have trouble getting adequate protein in the diet with meat, fish, and dairy. How much protein are you trying to get each day?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
(male)

northeastguy HB User

It's not a thick shake. I am using 2% milk (8g protien) with Whey powder (approx 16-18g of protein). I drank one after my workout yesterday and the sick feeling was mild. I drank one this morning and the sick feeling is definitely worse than yesterday. I don't get it, millions of people do the same thing that I am doing and are fine. Why does it affect me in this way?

It seems like it happens when I cross the 20 grams of protein threshold. If I eat a Cliff bar (approx. 10 grams) I feel fine. If I try a bar that has 20+ grams I get the same sick feeling.

Perhaps I need to spread it out more over the day? Any help would be great!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Is it possible you are lactose intolerant and it's the MILK in the shake that's causeing the digestive woes?

Does a 20 gram dose of protein from a chicken breast or a fish filet cause trouble?

Try the SOY protein powder to rule out an allergy to whey. It really is almost the same amino acid components.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-25-2006 at 06:32 AM.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
(male)

northeastguy HB User

I thought of the lactose so this time I got lactose free milk. I can eat a ton of chicken and be perfectly fine...

It might be the whey though, I didn't think of that. I am going to give soy a try. THANKS!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User
Talking Re: Protein makes me sick?

Try SILK brand soy milk, especially the chocolate or vanilla kind... SO yummy!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
(male)

depot HB User

You definitely could be lactose intolerant.

Another possibility is that you are not used to injesting whey powder. With food it need to be digested. With whey powder it goes into the blood stream pretty quickly.

Try building up your dossage over a week or two, so your digestive system gets the time to adapt.

Closed Thread