It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
(female)

fairycake HB User
daily sugar intake

According to the FDA you shouldn't consume more than 40g of sugar a day but does this include natural sugars from things such as fruit or does this just refer to refined/simple sugars? I'm trying to limit my sugar intake so I've been counting how much sugar I consume in a day and I've discovered that I get about 40g from my five portions of fruit and veg alone. That means if I eat anything else like milk/yoghurt and any starchy foods like bread and potatoes then I'm going well over the advised 40g limit. And here I was thinking that I had a low sugar diet because I don't eat any sweets or highly processed food .

Old 10-03-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
(male)

zevi8 HB User
Smile Re: daily sugar intake

first of all, i wouldnt take the advice of the usda or fda too seriously. Much of their advice is influenced by the food industry. For example, they say that you should have 2-3 servings of the meat food group, which in every nutritionist opinion is way too much. That being said, the sugar they are talking about is added sugar to foods. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you like. Eat bread to your fill. Make sure its whole grain bread with no sugars added. Some atkins people might suggest to limit your fruit intake, but people who say that fruit is bad for you because it has sugar in it, does not know anything about nutrition. I would recommend reading a book called "The China Study". Eat plenty of fruits, veggies and grains, nuts and legumes for good health

The Following User Says Thank You to zevi8 For This Useful Post:
adimaria (05-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: daily sugar intake

its all a matter of extrinsic versus intrinsic sugar intake. the 40g will be refering to extrinsic sugar intake (refined added sugar/ sugar not contained naturally in the matrix of food) rather than the sugar contained in things like fruit. much on!

alex.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
(female)

tealdreams HB User

i agree with zevi8. dont take the FDA or Canda's food guide too seriously. they are strongly influenced by the food industry.

i also agree that you should eat as many fruits as you want, but you do need a good balance. if you eat nothing but fruit you will have problems. balance your fruit and veggies and protiens. i dont agree that you should be eating grains so much though. breads are still highly processed and most people do have wheat, and gluten intolerances. some grains in your diet are ok (try to eat sprouted grains, or brown rice wraps) but dont let them overpower your veggie and fruit intake.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
(female)

GurlyGurly_17 HB User

You know, I was wondering the same thing. I'm on a weight GAIN diet but im worried about my sugar intake. How much fruit do you eat in a day? I eat quite a bit. My Kashi oatmeal also has 12g of sugar and I eat that twice a day. I probably eat 2 large sized oranges, an apple, and maybe some pears a day...and tons of bread. Is this all too much? I'm just wondering if it's going to put unhealthy weight on me...like in my gut.

What's everyone else's sugar intake like?

Old 10-04-2006, 05:25 AM   #6
(male)

zevi8 HB User

There is nothing wrong with eating alot of fruit. Its full of good stuff.What kind of bread are you eating? It should be whole grain. The white stuff is just empty calories and will probably add chunk where you dont want it.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
(female)

GurlyGurly_17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevi8
There is nothing wrong with eating alot of fruit. Its full of good stuff.What kind of bread are you eating? It should be whole grain. The white stuff is just empty calories and will probably add chunk where you dont want it.
Thanks Zevi. Well, I'm eating whole grain bread but I eat like 15, 16, maybe 17 servings a day of grains. Is that going to add unhealthy weight anyway? or "chunk"? I'm confused about "healthy" weight gain. LoL. And im super confused about sugar vs. natural sugar. So do you know what types of foods put on "healthy" weight and which ones just put on chunk?

LoL Fairy...i feel really bad for asking questions on your board! So how much fruit do you eat in a day? how bout grain servings?

Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
(female)

tealdreams HB User

Gurlygurly,

that amount of bread will DEFINITELY put weight on you. i eat about two servings of grains per week! IMO 13-17 servings of grains are WAY too much, even if you are trying to put on some weight.

natural sugars are found in fruit and vegitables. unatural sugars are found in anything...unatural, such as breads or anything that is packaged and doesnt come straight from nature! sadly sugar is added to almost everything and it is one of the most damaging "foods" to the human body.

you said that fats bother your stomach...now again, is that from natural fats (seeds, nuts) or unatural (packaged snack foods, food fried in rancid oil)

Old 10-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
(female)

fairycake HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone.

GurlyGurly - feel free to ask as many questions on this thread as you like, the more info the better!
I usually eat about 4 portions of fruit a day which isn't that much, I know, but I just got worried when I started adding up the sugar contents. I have a very small appetite so I'd have a hard time maintaining a healthy weight without eating some grains every day. In a typical day I'd say I have about 4 servings, but only 1 being bread (the rest are oats or rice) and I only ever eat wholegrains. Also the bread I eat doesn't have any sugar added to it.

Last edited by fairycake; 10-04-2006 at 02:20 PM.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
(female)

GurlyGurly_17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairycake
Thanks for the replies everyone.

GurlyGurly - feel free to ask as many questions on this thread as you like, the more info the better!
I usually eat about 4 portions of fruit a day which isn't that much, I know, but I just got worried when I started adding up the sugar contents. I have a very small appetite so I'd have a hard time maintaining a healthy weight without eating some grains every day. In a typical day I'd say I have about 4 servings, but only 1 being bread (the rest are oats or rice) and I only ever eat wholegrains. Also the bread I eat doesn't have any sugar added to it.
Thank you so much fairycake!
It sounds like you have a VERY balanced diet. Good job!

So I just wanted to comment further on my grain intake...lol I wanted to clarify it...I don't eat 17 PIECES of bread a day (lol), my bread tends to be more than 1 ounce a piece so i count it as more than 1 serving. My bread also doesnt have any added sugar. I eat about 6-8 pieces of bread a day, plus a bowl of barley, and two bowls of oatmeal. I'm trying to gain weight, but if all these grains are going to put chunk on just my stomach..how do i stop that and what should I do to put on even, healthy weight?

And I have a question that might help out fairycake as well too (lol), so if I had to choose between a piece of bread and a piece of fruit, which should I choose?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #11
(female)

tealdreams HB User

always choose the fruit. as stared before, fruit is natural, bread and oatmeal are not.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
(female)

GurlyGurly_17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealdreams
always choose the fruit. as stared before, fruit is natural, bread and oatmeal are not.
Even though fruit has a lot more sugar than bread?

Old 10-07-2006, 06:09 AM   #13
(female)

tealdreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurlyGurly_17
Even though fruit has a lot more sugar than bread?
yes. look at the ingredients in your bread. im sure there are other chemicals and preservatives in that bread. even if it is natural bread, there is still probably yeast, or other ingredients that most people cant tolerate at all, let alone many servings of it per day. grains themselves are widly intolerable by humans. there are many many holistic healthcare providers that recomend a completely grain free diet! (and im not talking about atkins style)

if you look at the ingredients in your apple, its...apple. all natural. widely more tolerable by the human race in larger amounts. you should make sure that your fruits are grown organically so that you dont get the added chemicals sprayed on them or in the soil that feeds them.

if you are worried about the sugar intake you could try to fill up on fruits that are lower in sugar than others such as green apples, grapefruit, cranberries, and all other berries.

Last edited by tealdreams; 10-07-2006 at 06:11 AM.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #14
(male)

Saverain HB User

Hi, I was doing a little study on this stuff and read through your thread. Someone said that they mix water salt and sugar and this seems to work. I agree with that, I think it works great, so why go and buy gatorade or other drink like that that cost 4x more that in my opinion doesn't work as well. I don't know about sugar in water but salt, water and lemon make a electrolytic environment that works great. I think water today is deficient in sodium, water alone makes my body dry. With sodium or salt the water passes through the cell along with the sodium thus hidrating the cell. Without sodium not much water would pass or without water it won't pass. So they work together. How much salt do you need to add? Around 250 milligrams or a couple dashes of salt per liter for a 2 liter per day diet. Around 500mg per day. Lemon, very little to the point where you barely taste it, maybe 5- 10 drops. Mix and you have a water that hidrates effectively. Potassium and sodium exchanges between the extracellular and intracellular region so you could benefit from eating a banana also. Drink inbetween meals and don't worry be happy. Pineapple may be better than lemon but I haven't tryed it.

Your body will become dehydrated if you drink purified water alone. (No electrolytes). Stay away from dehydrating foods also, like refined bread.

Closed Thread