It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User
Question New to Veganism

New to veganism... any wise words?

Is it normal to have a lot of gas and stomach cramps at first?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
(male)

zevi8 HB User
Re: New to Veganism

I am glad to hear that you have joined the noble ranks of veganism. I, myself, have been one since about 2003. You learn alot as you go on. I dont know the reasons that made you turn vegan, but alot of people do it just because of animal cruelty. There is nothing wrong with that of course but we cant forget to still eat healthy. There are alot of vegan products out there that are not healthy at all. I would suggest loading up on fresh fruit and fresh or frozen vegetables. Bread should be whole grain. It shouldnt have high fructose corn syrup or preservatives. The first ingredient should be whole wheat flour or whatever grain of bread you are getting. It should not have "enriched wheat flour" or "wheat flour" or "bleached enriched wheat flour" only the word "whole" before the name of the particular grain. There is a company called "alvarado street bakery" that makes sprouted grain bread. This is the best kind of bread you can eat. You can eat plenty of nuts and seeds like sunflower etc.. Tofu is also very good and is a very good source of protein. It has no taste on its own but it takes on the taste of whatever it is cooked with. You will find that there are so many more things you can do with plant life than with animal products. There are alot of vegan products that have certain ingredients that i would avoid. They are:monosodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract,high fructose corn syrup,yeast extract to name the big ones. Gas is normal on a vegan diet. Let me give you some tips on that. First of all, Gas should not have a smell if you are on a vegan diet. If it does then you should set aside 1/2 hour as soon as you get up everyday in the morning to have a bowel movement. Upon getting up, drink a glass of water and spend 1/2 hour in the bathroom . Water with a vegan diet is very important because fiber works with water. If you like beans, soak them first so they are not as gassy. Remember, gas is normal. If it doesnt have a smell, then its not embarrassing and it makes you feel better. There are many delicious vegan products that i have come across. [removed]. i hope this helps you out. Any questions, feel free to ask

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-04-2006 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User
Thumbs up Re: New to Veganism

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevi8
I am glad to hear that you have joined the noble ranks of veganism. I, myself, have been one since about 2003. You learn alot as you go on. I dont know the reasons that made you turn vegan, but alot of people do it just because of animal cruelty.
I decided to go vegan mainly for health reasons, but that's not to say I would otherwise support animal cruelty of course

I was wondering what to do as far as breads go, so thanks for that!

Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

brazilman HB User

Hi:

I don't know if I agree with Zevi. I am not sure that gas is normal. Ok, you can pass some gas now and then, and I think this is normal, but if you are constantly bloated and passing gas, then I would say that something is not working properly or you are stuck with the wrong diet.

Although I am also against animal cruelty, I am particularly worried about certain limitations of the vegan diet. Not only nutritional limitations, about also social limitations. It is very hard to be a vegan and have a social life in your community. And I don't think you need to become a vegan to be healthy again.

What you don't need is junk food, overeating, too frequent eating, protein-based diets and, in many cases, dairy. I think animal protein is necessary for the majority of people (maybe zevi is fortunate enough to be able to do without it, but not everybody is like zevi). If you don't want red meat, that is ok. Eat free-range eggs and fish or seafood.

A vegan diet can be excellent for a short period for most people, but for a lifelong experience I wouldn't recommend it. Nine out of ten people give up after some time. May you be lucky and be able to stick with it, but I am afraid that the gas that is causing you discomfort is telling you something.

And by the way, if you are concerned with animal welfare, you can try to get animal products from animals that are raised (and killed) humanely. Fish is ok, because they are said to possess a very primitive nervous system: they don't feel too much pain, a fisherman told me. Don't know if it is true, but makes sense.

Take care.

JC

Old 10-05-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josť Carlos
Hi:

I don't know if I agree with Zevi. I am not sure that gas is normal. Ok, you can pass some gas now and then, and I think this is normal, but if you are constantly bloated and passing gas, then I would say that something is not working properly or you are stuck with the wrong diet.

Although I am also against animal cruelty, I am particularly worried about certain limitations of the vegan diet. Not only nutritional limitations, about also social limitations. It is very hard to be a vegan and have a social life in your community. And I don't think you need to become a vegan to be healthy again.

What you don't need is junk food, overeating, too frequent eating, protein-based diets and, in many cases, dairy. I think animal protein is necessary for the majority of people (maybe zevi is fortunate enough to be able to do without it, but not everybody is like zevi). If you don't want red meat, that is ok. Eat free-range eggs and fish or seafood.

A vegan diet can be excellent for a short period for most people, but for a lifelong experience I wouldn't recommend it. Nine out of ten people give up after some time. May you be lucky and be able to stick with it, but I am afraid that the gas that is causing you discomfort is telling you something.

And by the way, if you are concerned with animal welfare, you can try to get animal products from animals that are raised (and killed) humanely. Fish is ok, because they are said to possess a very primitive nervous system: they don't feel too much pain, a fisherman told me. Don't know if it is true, but makes sense.

Take care.

JC
After doing research and speaking to a friend that is vegan, I've learned that a bit of gas is normal in the beginning as it's a change of a new diet.

There are actually several places in my area that have vegan products as well as restaurants, so that's not a problem as far as that's concerned. I try not to eat out much anyway because it gets expensive and isn't always healthy.

As for the animal protein you mentioned from red meats, there is actually more protein in mock meat products and they don't cause leading health problems, nor are they from actual animals of course. Soy products are loaded with proteins and nutrients we need.

On the subject of animal cruelty, it's still cruel how animals are treated even when they are not in pain, such as their living conditions. But there's nothing humane about animals being killed or suffering. Veganism is much healthier than eating meat products by far, I do know that much, and this is definitely something I am sticking with, and have wanted to do for 10 years now.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

For vegan "eating out" I recommend Indian buffets if they are available near you. I find the preparations of vegetables to be very exciting compared to the drek that usually passes for American vegetables that are mere adjuncts to the main meat meal.

Indians have devised ways of making, potatoes, cauliflower, chick peas, spinach and lentils into vegan art.

Find a nice cheap loose tofu outlet. Shun the "organic" variety packed months in advance and costing 5 times as much. Tofu is invaluable as a protein source and lends itself to some easy stir fries with mushroom, broccoli, snow peas, onions, etc. A bottle of an Oriental sauce lends the zest. ..look for San-J sauces (Szechuan is my fave.)

Find some sesame oil to add a few drops at the last minute for more delicious flavor,

Perfect your knack at making delicious rice.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User
Question Re: New to Veganism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
For vegan "eating out" I recommend Indian buffets if they are available near you. I find the preparations of vegetables to be very exciting compared to the drek that usually passes for American vegetables that are mere adjuncts to the main meat meal.

Indians have devised ways of making, potatoes, cauliflower, chick peas, spinach and lentils into vegan art.

Find a nice cheap loose tofu outlet. Shun the "organic" variety packed months in advance and costing 5 times as much. Tofu is invaluable as a protein source and lends itself to some easy stir fries with mushroom, broccoli, snow peas, onions, etc. A bottle of an Oriental sauce lends the zest. ..look for San-J sauces (Szechuan is my fave.)

Find some sesame oil to add a few drops at the last minute for more delicious flavor,

Perfect your knack at making delicious rice.
Thanks Lenin! How do I know which foods are vegan when I go to an indian restaurant? I've only been once and it was okay, but at the time I still ate meat.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User
Lightbulb Re: New to Veganism

Hey everyone, found this on the web in regards to veganism and gas:

[removed]

[Please paraphrase in your own words what you read somewhere else. Do not copy material directly from another website.]

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-06-2006 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Do not copy material directly from another website.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
(female)

tealdreams HB User

veganism is fine if your body can handle it and if you are doing it properly. EVERY PERSON IS DIFFERENT! if you are getting gas, that is your body's way of saying that something is NOT right. no healthy person will get bloating and noticable gas from the food they eat! its good that you are researching and finding out different things that you could eat or not eat to help prevent this.

Please do not disregard what i am saying because i am a meat eater...i do believe that veganism is a very good life style...if it is dont properly! eating soy based products and a ton of grains and packaged foods is NOT doing it healthily or properly. i would like you to take a look at the ingrediants of the "mock meat" products you are eating. i bet you will not be able to pronounce a handful of the ingredience? how is filling your body with chemicals better and more healthy that eating meat? its not. your body does not know how to process these chemicals as they are not a natural thing. it puts your liver into overtime and may be the cause of your gassy bloating and could lead to other dangerous health problems in the future. Soy is also a fictional health product. if it is prepared properly and fermented it does have health benefits, but nothing that comes in a package, bottle or bag that is made of soy has these benefits. Soy is also one of the most genetically modified "food" products in the world and has estrogen mimiking properties in it that are terrible to be putting into your body.

the most important thing to remember is that natural is always best. read ingredient. if there are things you cant pronounce, then its something you do not want to put into your body. you are making a big step to become healthy. why throw out all the hard work by filling yourself with chemicals! there are many many raw "cook" books that have AMAZING vegan recipes that are made from all natural ingredients and taste wonderful without all the chemicals! please dont ruin your healthy intentions with those cheap, packaged products

Old 10-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealdreams
veganism is fine if your body can handle it and if you are doing it properly. EVERY PERSON IS DIFFERENT! if you are getting gas, that is your body's way of saying that something is NOT right. no healthy person will get bloating and noticable gas from the food they eat! its good that you are researching and finding out different things that you could eat or not eat to help prevent this.

Please do not disregard what i am saying because i am a meat eater...i do believe that veganism is a very good life style...if it is dont properly! eating soy based products and a ton of grains and packaged foods is NOT doing it healthily or properly. i would like you to take a look at the ingrediants of the "mock meat" products you are eating. i bet you will not be able to pronounce a handful of the ingredience? how is filling your body with chemicals better and more healthy that eating meat? its not. your body does not know how to process these chemicals as they are not a natural thing. it puts your liver into overtime and may be the cause of your gassy bloating and could lead to other dangerous health problems in the future. Soy is also a fictional health product. if it is prepared properly and fermented it does have health benefits, but nothing that comes in a package, bottle or bag that is made of soy has these benefits. Soy is also one of the most genetically modified "food" products in the world and has estrogen mimiking properties in it that are terrible to be putting into your body.

the most important thing to remember is that natural is always best. read ingredient. if there are things you cant pronounce, then its something you do not want to put into your body. you are making a big step to become healthy. why throw out all the hard work by filling yourself with chemicals! there are many many raw "cook" books that have AMAZING vegan recipes that are made from all natural ingredients and taste wonderful without all the chemicals! please dont ruin your healthy intentions with those cheap, packaged products
Thanks for your reply!

I do know that in general, healthy people have gas up to 10 times a day on average. Gas isn't bad necessarily, as I was just wondering what causes it in the beginning of veganism/diet change. I'm not bloated at all though. Beans are also very good for you and I think that's what it's from because I am incorporating healthy food into my diet, like beans, and they cause gas due to high fiber. Veganism of course wouldn't be good if not done properly, but that's with all diets, for each one of us, regardless of whether we consume meat or dairy or not.

As for the ingredients in mock meat products, there aren't many differences from vegetables and other healthy foods. Most of it is just soy and I am fairly familiar with what everything is, so that's reassuring! Most of what I am eating is organic and all-natural, so the very few chemicals I am actually putting into my body are far better than eating meat and the many health concerns meat cause, not to mention they have chemicals in them in addition to that. I do know for a fact that consuming soy is better than consuming meat products, and while it's almost impossible for any of us to be 100% healthy, my goal is to be healthier than I was when eating meat and letting it rot in my body and ruin my health.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
(female)

tealdreams HB User

toxicat,

its very true that gas is normal. excess gas and bloating are not, so it is good that it is not the case with you.

im just curious as to what you think the "many health concerns of meat" are? humans have been eating meat for millions of years and our bodies recognize these protiens and use them properly to deliver the nutrition our bodies need, unlike new "foods" like soy. again, of course anything in excess is harmfull, but i am interested to hear how exactly you think that meat will harm you? i am also not talking about conventionally raised animals since it is a fact that they are pumped so full of antibiotics and hormones that no human should even touch them. yuck. i only buy naturally raised, free range meat that are raised in their natural habitat and eat what they are naturally supposed to eat (not force fed grains)

just curious

Old 10-07-2006, 02:52 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

brazilman HB User

Tealdreams' is a great post. I entirely agree with it. I don't think there is any nutritional mistake in eating "free range" meat moderately. Whether you want it or not, the habit of eating meat (and meat includes fish, chicken, eggs, seafood, etc, not only red meat) is the most widespread in the world: show me one people who strictly follows a vegetarian diet. Moreover, it has been shown that it was the intake of Essential Fatty Acids, which are present in meat, but not in vegetables, that made the human brain what it is. The issue of animal cruelty is a very strong, appealing one, but you have to weight things up. To a certain extent, you are also being cruel to the plants when you grow them just for later consumption. So what? My idea about veganism is that it is possibly an utopia for the majority of people. You don't have to eat a lot of meat to be healthy. Balance your diet. But I tell you, from my own experience, that skipping all animal products may in the long run pose very serious problems to your health. And in many cases, these problems start with excessive gas.

Last edited by brazilman; 10-07-2006 at 02:54 AM.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

So... flax has no EFAs? Avocadoes have no EFAs? Are you sure nuts and seeds don't have any?
I have no problem with those who chose to have meat in their diet, but feeding others false information to scare them away from vegetarianism is just irresponsible. There are many life long vegetarians and vegans who bother to educate themselves enough to be perfectly healthy.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:56 AM   #14
(female)

xstitchesx HB User

"its very true that gas is normal. excess gas and bloating are not, so it is good that it is not the case with you."

if you ask any vegan or vegetarian they will tell you that soy causes bloating and gas. it's common.

the best thing to do is to eat soy in small amounts and introduce it to your body gradually.

"im just curious as to what you think the "many health concerns of meat" are"

um well lets see..meat has been linked to heart disease, obesity, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's, asthma, and impotence..to me those are all things to be pretty concerned about.

"The issue of animal cruelty is a very strong, appealing one, but you have to weight things up. To a certain extent, you are also being cruel to the plants when you grow them just for later consumption. So what? "

it has been proven that plans don't have a central nervous system, there is no way you can compare a plant to a cow being killed. there is no reason why another living species has to be killed for the sake of humans. it's selfish. yes people ate people millions of years ago but that was also before a lot of other foods existed. people needed meat in order to survive. now they dont.

in fact vegetarians + vegans have been studied to live up to 10 years longer than than meat eaters.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:35 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

brazilman HB User
Red face Re: New to Veganism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
So... flax has no EFAs? Avocadoes have no EFAs? Are you sure nuts and seeds don't have any?
I have no problem with those who chose to have meat in their diet, but feeding others false information to scare them away from vegetarianism is just irresponsible. There are many life long vegetarians and vegans who bother to educate themselves enough to be perfectly healthy.
Good Morning, Naxis:

You are right. I made a big mistake. I am sorry and ashamed. Vegetables also have EFAs. I guess I am no longer entitled to posting (again) on this thread.

But I want to say two more things:

1. It is not my objective to scare anybody away from vegetarianism. I was once a strict vegetarian, and I know, from my own experience, that the way into and through vegetarianism is full of pitfalls, if you see what I mean. Of course there may be lifelong healthy vegetarians, but in most cases people have to give up veganism after a few years because of either health or social problems.
2. Yes, nuts have EFAs, I don't know about avocados or flaxseeds. The trouble is that it seems always to be more difficult to get EFAs and protein for that matter from vegetables than from say fish. And possibly the EFAs in vegetables are in a less ideal balance, if you see what I mean. If you want to make use of the EFAs in nuts etc, it's vital for you to use cold first-pressed oil. Indeed, what I should have said was: EFAs (and protein) are all present in vegetables, but their availability is low compared to animal sources.

Thanks for your helpful interference, and I hope I have at least in part succeeded in correcting my original "irresponsibility".

JC

Closed Thread