It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
(male)

zippy_mouse HB User
eating fruits at night,,no-no?

I've heard that fructose intake at night may increase serum triglyceride levels and cause obesity.
Is this true? Should we avoid eating fruits after dinner?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: eating fruits at night,,no-no?

No truth to the rumour.

It might be an amplification of the no food after dinner for a triglyceride test the next morning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

What about eating things with sugar in them (other than fructose) at night? I eat frozen yogurt basically every single night after dinner and I'm wondering if it is affecting my sleep patterns (I don't sleep very soundly). Could it be giving me a sugar rush and actually doing more harm than good? I look forward to my "treat" everyday and I can't imagine what I could put in its place to satisfy me without being overindulgent. I eat a lot of fruit during the day, so fruit after dinner isn't really appealing. What do you think?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
(male)

zevi8 HB User

another reason why you might consider not eating fruit after dinner is because fruit doesnt digest well with other foods. Fruit should be eaten alone and not after a heavy meal.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
(female)

tealdreams HB User

zevi8 is right, fruit digests quickly compared to carbs and protein. so if you eat a big meal and fruit right after, the fruit will sit on top of the meal and ferment in your gut, while the body is trying to digest the other food slowly. this can cause gas and bloating.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Wow, is this true! That would totally explain why I always have indigestion and feel bloated after lunch - I almost always finish it off with a big piece of fruit!

I usually have a sandwich or a wrap of some sort and eat a big apple or pear or orange right afterwards. If I want to get my fruit in, should I eat it BEFORE the meal?

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
(female)

tealdreams HB User

fruit should always be eaten at least a half hour before a meal, or on its own.

think about it this way. imagine cutting up an apple and leaving it on the counter beside a peice of bread. how long will it take for that apple to start to turn brown? 1 minute? 2 minutes? how long will it take for that peice of bread to go moldy? 2 days?

also imagine what would happen if you mushed up an apple and left it on the counter for 4 - 6 hours. it would turn brown and ferment and smell.

now imagine you eat that peice of bread, which can take about 4 - 6 to digest. then you eat an apple shortly after it. while the body is slowly digesting that bread, that apple is doing exactly what the mushed up apple on the counter would do...but inside your body! not so pleasant

Last edited by tealdreams; 10-18-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

This Whole thing about Eating Fruit alone and Not After a meal. Is taught by Naturalists, Practioners of Alternative Medacine, and Makers of Fad Diets.

There is no Scientific evidence to support this. So take the advice with a grain of salt. As for that supposedly fermenting fruit, anyone who has studied human physiology can tell you that fermentation does not occur in the stomach.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

I would have to agree with Blue on that one. Using the analogy of the apple turning brown (which is due to oxidation, different from fermentation) if left sliced on the counter; putting lemon juice on the apple will stop the apple from turning brown. Highly impart to the high level of acidity, which if you know anything about your stomach and the digestive process...acids are involved. Where's Lenin at; I know you can probably explain this chemical crap better then I can. Also, your stomach is not like a car wash where you have to wait your turn to wash your car. Digestion begins as soon as you start chewing the food, food isn't lined up down there waiting to get digested.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
(female)

tealdreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOT26
Digestion begins as soon as you start chewing the food, food isn't lined up down there waiting to get digested.
of course digestion begins with chewing, but do you really think that if you were to eat a full carb or protien meal (that IS scientifically proven to digest in 4 - 6 hours) and follow it by fruit an hour later (that IS scientifically proven to take about 30 mins to digest) that your body would put the digestion already in process on the meal on hold to make way for the fruit? it does NOT sit and wait its turn, but gets mixed in with the other food. since the other food is taking so long to digest, the fruit cannot bypass the process already involved, so it is digested at the same rate as the other food where it should only have taken 30 mins.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:50 AM   #11
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealdreams
of course digestion begins with chewing, but do you really think that if you were to eat a full carb or protien meal (that IS scientifically proven to digest in 4 - 6 hours) and follow it by fruit an hour later (that IS scientifically proven to take about 30 mins to digest) that your body would put the digestion already in process on the meal on hold to make way for the fruit? it does NOT sit and wait its turn, but gets mixed in with the other food. since the other food is taking so long to digest, the fruit cannot bypass the process already involved, so it is digested at the same rate as the other food where it should only have taken 30 mins.
you do know that Fruits are Primarily all Carb dont you? All Different foods Digest at different rates.

But even if you are right.....So What? thats the point whole point even if it does digest Slower its not going to do any harm.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 10-20-2006, 05:50 AM   #12
(female)

tealdreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejbirdie
you do know that Fruits are Primarily all Carb dont you? All Different foods Digest at different rates.

But even if you are right.....So What? thats the point whole point even if it does digest Slower its not going to do any harm.
it IS highly researched that it does make a difference and does cause "harm" (gas, bloating...its not going to kill a person or anything) in a large amount of the population. if i was allowed to post links, i would. we have a difference of opinoin and we will leave it at that.

if the original poster of this thread tries it out and it helps, then wonderful. if it doesnt, there are many other things that could be going on in their body. no harm in trying, right?

Old 10-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

I wouldn't mind checking out the research on this...can you give me the medical journal references?

Old 10-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealdreams
that apple is doing exactly what the mushed up apple on the counter would do...but inside your body! not so pleasant
Totally irrelevant....First of all you forget that the ''apple skin'' is very high in powerful Polyphenols along with Vit-C and Bioflavanoids (Rutin and Hesperdin) that will neutralise any oxidation.

Secondly why worry about an apple spoiling when we produce free radicals every second we are alive. The carbon dioxide that we expell in every breath is a result of Mitochondria oxidation that takes place every milli-second. So our bodies deal with this with creating Glutathione, SuperOxide Dismutase and Catalase or we would look like Progeria children.

Thirdly if still worried then consume antioxidants (Vit-C,Vit-E,Lipoic Acid,Grape Seed etc) so worring about something as an apple turning brown inside of us is a total waste of worry.....

Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #15
(female)

tealdreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
Totally irrelevant....First of all you forget that the ''apple skin'' is very high in powerful Polyphenols along with Vit-C and Bioflavanoids (Rutin and Hesperdin) that will neutralise any oxidation.

Secondly why worry about an apple spoiling when we produce free radicals every second we are alive. The carbon dioxide that we expell in every breath is a result of Mitochondria oxidation that takes place every milli-second. So our bodies deal with this with creating Glutathione, SuperOxide Dismutase and Catalase or we would look like Progeria children.

Thirdly if still worried then consume antioxidants (Vit-C,Vit-E,Lipoic Acid,Grape Seed etc) so worring about something as an apple turning brown inside of us is a total waste of worry.....
i was using that as an analogy to simply explain why there could be gas or bloating if fruit was eaten after or with a meal, and to give an option to someone that was having a problem, but it seems to have been blown way out of proportion.

if they tried it and it helped, great. if not, it may help someone else.

Closed Thread