It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User
Why do I get a dizzy, weak shaky feeling after small breakfast and coffee/tea?

I dont always eat breakfast. I usually have my first meal at lunch but I do have coffee or tea in the morning, usually two cups. But whenever I do eat a small breakfast at work, whether its a pop tart, toast or a couple rice patties along with my coffee or tea I get this really weird, weak-kinda dizzy-shaking hands feeling and if I try to eat something else to help it, Im so hungry and practically inhale whatever Im eating.

If I dont eat anything before lunch, Im fine and the coffee or tea just wakes me up. I guess I havent notice if this happens if I eat something and dont drink coffee or tea, because I always drink at least something, maybe a soda or juice. Does this happen to anyone else or does anyone know why this happens and how to keep this from happening?

Old 12-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Why do I get a dizzy, weak shaky feeling after small breakfast and coffee/tea?

I used to feel the exact way you described. I'd have my two cups of coffee, nothing to eat, and feel okay -- but hungry -- until lunch. If I ate something really small and/or sugary (recovering Pop-Tart addict here) for breakfast, I'd feel soooo light-headed and shaky and just would feel totally famished by lunch.

It wasn't until I started trying to lose weight and eat a "balanced" breakfast along with those cups of tea or coffee that this stopped. Steel-cut oats for breakfast with a small cup of 2% cottage cheese or scrambled eggs with that piece of toast helped tremendously. I'd also include a serving of fruit with whatever I'd eat for breakfast -- or I'd eat it in the car on the way to work, i.e., banana or apple.

It definitely took some getting used to, as I just wasn't hungry early in the morning at all. After a year and a half of eating a good breakfast, I think I'd be ill and seeing stars by mid-morning if I didn't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Why do I get a dizzy, weak shaky feeling after small breakfast and coffee/tea?

saphire,
Sometimes we do perfectly well UNTIL we have a tiny bit of carb based foods...then our body CRAVES more.
I'm the same way so I drink coffee only unless and until I can have a REAL breakfast.
A single piece of toast or a yecch pop-tart <yecch> would cause me to soon start eating everything within reach.

I think it has something to do with blood sugar fluctuations. The body can adjust fine with nothing but coffee, but if you hit it with a dose of starch, or worse, SUGAR first thing in the morning blood sugar goes whacky and starts the intense cravings..

I think a fairly high protein breakfast helps...like a couple scrambled eggs.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
(female)

Jen121 HB User

You need to be eating breakfast in the morning. Thats what starts your day and provides your energy.

Pop tarts and toast do not count as breakfast or even food in my eyes haha.

Eat protein, a little fat, and a little healthy carbs (veggie or fruit)

An egg omelet with avacado, flax seed, and peppers/onions is perfect!

Closed Thread