It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Olive Oil Study

Was reading on ''Science Daily'' 11/12/06 and read a good story about a clinical study in europe where they gave participants olive oil every day for three weeks and took before and after urine samples of cancer metabolites and discovered that after just three weeks their high cancer metabolites had all dropped considerably.

The scientist who did the study speculated that it wasn't the Monounsaturated fats that did this but the high ''Phenol'' content in the oil. Olive Oil has some of the highest anti cancer and anti aging phenols that rival Red Wine and Green Tea..

Just wanted to pass this along.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
(male)

chetsunset HB User
Cool Re: Olive Oil Study

Thanks for the info. i will have a glass of extra virgin olive oil instead of my usual reds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Olive Oil Study

Very interesting . . . thanks. I look forward to longer term study. You never know, the effect could diminish over time.

Ah, so much to learn.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
(female)

Texanne HB User

Did it say how what dosage they gave the participants? That is very interesting. I take turmeric everyday for the same reasons; but it is just like natural turmeric in a gel capsule. That would be harder to do with olive oil, if one needed a large dose.

Thanks for the information.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanne
Did it say how what dosage they gave the participants?
They said about 25 Milliliters or about 2 Tablespoons a day. (1 tbs = 14.7 milliliters). I have for yrs taken one tbs in the a.m. and one tbs in the p.m. with fishoils and mixed tocopherols soft gels all combined.

I also read a while back about how olive oil when consumed regularly gets in the skin cell membranes and protects us from UVA/UVB sun radiation damage i.e. skin cancer,skin wrinkling and age/sun spots.....

Old 01-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
(female)

Texanne HB User

You know, it kind of reminds me of those old movies where the mean 'ole lady made the kids take a "dose" of castor oil every day! I just don't know if I could do it! Maybe they will come out with gianormous olive oil supplements! Two tablespoons is a lot of oil to take. I guess it would be best to have a salad every day with olive oil on it, hmmm...with red wine...and blueberries for dessert...wild salmon for the main course...

Closed Thread