It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
(male)

Nosho HB User
Best alcoholic drink while dieting?

OK, I realize the best alcoholic drink to consume, in regards to weight loss, is probably none. I am trying to lose about 20 lbs, but I like to party on the weekends and I have found that 15 beers doesn't do much for my weight loss.

What is the best thing to drink, in order to get drunk, that will have less of an impact on my weight loss goals? Someone once told me Bicardi and diet coke or something.

Thanks.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

luv2sing HB User
Re: Best alcoholic drink while dieting?

Alcohol slows down weight loss but let's get real: I like to drink too. And I'm on Weight Watchers but I drink on the weekends. I drink mainly Bacardi and diet but usually do Jaeger shots and will have a few chocolate martinis too. If I do beer, it's Miller Light. Just make sure that you drink water too-I drink a bottle of water for every 2 drinks. And just watch yourself the day after your drinking: eat lighter, drink even more water since alcohol dehydrates you.

The Following User Says Thank You to luv2sing For This Useful Post:
theresa pressle (11-11-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
(male)

Nosho HB User

Yeah, I only drink maybe once a week as well. But from personal experience, I can diet and exercise all week and it seems one night of heavy drinking, mostly Bud Light, and eating bad, cancels the entire week's progress.

I'm thinking of cutting the beer, going for something like Bacardi and diet coke, and trying not to eat bad while drinking (as in no Waffle House All Star specials after a 15 beer night)

So does anyone have any other drink ideas that aren't as bad for you?

Old 12-26-2006, 04:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Best are the concentrated alcohol drinks like a Martini, dry Manhattan, Scotch on Rocks.
For a weaker drink, any sipirits plus diet soda...like Gin and Diet Tonic or Vodka and Ginger (Diet Ginger Ale) or Rum and Diet Coke.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I watch my weight and avoid beer and any of the frozen sweet drinks that are pretty filling. Vodka is pretty low in calories, less than rum and other liquors. I like to buy a 5 calorie cranberry juice (I believe by Ocean Spray) and drink that with vodka. It keeps the bloating down, which I know beer won't do! Shots would also be lower in calories since you don't have a mixer. Mixing with diet drinks will definitely help with dieting, but it will make the alcohol hit you a little faster than with regular drinks. I really like flavored martinis but I will just add more alcohol and less flavoring and they haven't made me gain weight. Another big thing is to try to munch on healthier snacks when drinking.. I know there are those nights when you end up pigging out on cheap pizza that tasted like "the best pizza ever" but if you keep healthier munchies around, like chips with salsa, veggie platter, fruit salad, it will help quite a bit!

Old 12-29-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
Inactive

lindamh HB User

I would think that real margaritas made with limes and not a mix would be good. But not many places do that.

And I don't know what's in those mixes, I'm just assuming they put sugar in them since they put it in everything.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
(female)

secretname1976 HB User

Is there not a low carb beer out there? I am not a beer drinker but I remember being in the USA and having one.

Here I drink Smirnoff Ultra 1 which is low carb smirnoff ice... Wine is only 2 points per 4 ounces.. I like that too..

Old 01-01-2007, 02:28 AM   #8
(female)

AmandaH HB User

Michelob Ultra is a low-carb beer, but it doesn't taste very good. Yes, those mixes are almost nothing but sugar. They have an insane amount of calories. When I drink, I stick to Bud Light or rum and diet soda. Also, vodka w/ diet Sprite is pretty good.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
(male)

Chris26MI HB User

I was drinking Smirnoff Ice beers and realized how many calories/sugar were in each bottle! I have since switched to vodka and Diet 7-up. I not only feel a LOT better the next day, but there is no sugar rush I'd normally get from the 2-3 Smirnoff Ices I drink every now and then. Diet 7-up and vodka compliment themselves perfectly, IMO. I drink maybeeeee 1x every 2 weeks. Very light social drinker.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

4 oz of wine is 2 points on WW...as is one oz of liquor - so scotch or boourbon and water are good choices. Gin or vodka and tonic, also good for just 2 points.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I am glad to find people who like to eat healthy and exercise, but also don't swear off alcohol like some of the crazies out there! Haha. It's fun, it's social, and it makes you get loose!

Anyway, my alcoholic beverage of choice is either: a) wine b) vodka soda or c) vodka and some lowcal soda/juice. I never order heavy or sugary drinks like pina coladas or long islands - those are just way too packed with calories. But, that being said, in moderation, anything is fine. If pina coladas are your favorite, go for it every now and then. Just make Bacardi and Diet coke or something like that your "staple" cocktail.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Zero.......All alcoholic drinks add unwanted calories and sugar/carbs to your diet. Try finding something else to satisfy you.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User
Thumbs up Re: Best alcoholic drink while dieting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaH
Michelob Ultra is a low-carb beer, but it doesn't taste very good.
Just because it's marketed that way doesn't make it the only low carb beer! Many people are surprised to hear that MILLER LITE (yes, I am a huge fan) has only 0.5 more carbs than Mich Ultra. 2.7 vs 3.2 ! Tastes better, less expensive, just not marketed for a low carb target market. They don't HAVE to!

Other lite beers can be MUCH higher in carbs (Ex: Coors Light packs about 5 more per serving than Miller Lite).

Old 01-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User
Lightbulb Re: Best alcoholic drink while dieting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
Zero.......All alcoholic drinks add unwanted calories and sugar/carbs to your diet. Try finding something else to satisfy you.
But for the rest of us trying to be realistic -

Miller Lite, Mich Ultra, Bud Select
Vodka

In general on the hard liquor side I am told (by someone at WW) anything clear is always better on the diet!

Old 01-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #15
(female)

Jen121 HB User

vodka, water, splash of sprite, with lots of limes (for vit.c)

tastes GREAT, low calorie, i mean come on its like half water

plus the water helps keep you hydrated lol

Closed Thread