It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

isaddesign HB User
do i really need to eat if i'm not hungry?

Hi,

From what I read all over about diet/eating right, your supposed to eat 5-6 small meals a day.

I hate feeling full & dont like the thought of constantly eating

I eat a big breakfast or an early lunch & i'm usually good for the day or i eat a light dinner.

Am I really supposed to eat even if I'm not hungry??/
Am I ruining my system/diet, etc.
My energy level is fine & i never feel the urge to binge on junk food & I sleep pretty well
Any thoughts

Old 01-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Re: do i really need to eat if i'm not hungry?

It is hard to imagine that you can feel not hungry when eating only once (or perhaps twice) a day. It seems a bit strange and one would think that your body would demand (hunger pangs) to eat something more after breakfast. It's an awfully long time to fast (from breakfast to next day's breakfast) and that's what you are doing. I think somewhere along the line something got switched off, some hunger control receptors because it is not normal (meaning not within the norm) to eat that way.
I don't know how old you are and that has something to do with everything, but you probably could use a visit to your doctor ust to make sure everything is OK. It may just be that you are made that way and every body is different so this is just a precaution.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User

I agree with the above post. I want to add that under "normal" circumstances I think that you should eat when you are hungry, and never force yourself just becuase "they say" you should eat however often. 5-6 small meals is more of a weight loss or body builders diet, not a regular every day human being. BUt ifyou're not hungry after only one meal a day? I agree - something ,may be amiss!

Old 01-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
(female)

isaddesign HB User

Let me clarify a little:
If i eat 1 meal a day its around 11am & its a BIG lunch(maybe to big).
My husbands family is hispanic so theres lots of rice & beans available, which can be filling.
Ive had labs done within the year & everything was fine.
Maybe I fill up fast, not sure.
I eat...trust me....most days I eat 2 meals a day & Im good, but 1 or 2xs a week Im good on 1 big meal.
I love to drink milk, pop, tea & tons of water...so maybe thats why I dont feel hungry.
Im not the type of person to starve myself.
I was just curious about that whole "eat 5-6 small meals a day" thing, cause Im not always hungry & that would make me feel like I was stuffing my face full of worthless calories/fat.
Thanks for your feedback & my next dr appt I will bring it up to see what he says. just to be safe

Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Well, if you drink tons of milk and pop (soda) then it explains why you are not hungry. But do not fool yourself into thinking you are not eating simply because you are not eating solid foods. Milk and soda have a lot of calories (at least milk has good nutrients as well ) but soda is just empty calories with no nutritional value at all. Many people think that what they drink doesn't count but it most definitely does. I would cut down on the amount of liquid calories you ingest and then see if your hunger picks up. I bet you it will.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
From what I read all over about diet/eating right, your supposed to eat 5-6 small meals a day.

I hate feeling full & don't like the thought of constantly eating
Your body knows best. If you don't feel like eating 6 times a day, don't.
Some people may LIKE to be in the kitchen all day long and basically eating all day long, some don't.

If you get your needed calories and protein in during the day, whether with 2 meals or 10, evolution has provided many mechanisms to give you what you need when you need it.

Eating when you are not hungry is a sure recipe for indigestion.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

There are times when I don't feel hungry and actually am.. I just get a tired feeling and once I start eating I feel so much better.. and I don't feel full right away. Eating 5-6 small meals didn't work for me, unless they were extremely small meals. I stick with the 3 meals but will let myself get a snack if I'm hungry. There are days when I sleep later, so I don't eat as large a breakfast or I will end up skipping lunch, so I'll eat a Powerbar or a yogurt. Some mornings I'll eat a little bit more than that (when I'm up earlier). A typical lunch for me would be a sandwich with some fruit on the side. Dinner might be wheat tortillas with cheese and grilled chicken inside. Then I drnik a lot of water. I do eat small snacks every now and then. I'm trying to eat more fruits and veggies and protein, but it's tricky to fit it all in without being stuffed. I'm also trying to lose a few pounds I gained this past year. My nutritionist put me on a 1200 calorie diet, which feels right to me for my size and height. It's different for everybody!

Closed Thread