It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
(female)

edself HB User
Only feel hunger AFTER I eat!

Okay, so I have been trying to eat only when I am hungry and stop when I am full. However, for some reason, I do not feel hunger when I think I should. For example, this morning I did not feel hungry at all even though it had been 14 hours since I last ate. So, I went ahead and ate 1/2 of a bagel. Then, I felt hungry AFTER eating. I do not want to continue eating because I am afraid that will lead to overeating!!! If I do continue eating, I feel hungry all the time. It is frustrating. Any advice?

Old 01-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User
Re: Only feel hunger AFTER I eat!

White bagel? It's a high GI food. Make you hungry fast

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
(female)

edself HB User

Just a regular bagel, I think. And that is just an example--it can be anything...yogurt, toast, fruit, etc.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

Interesting. I feel that way sometimes too

Old 01-15-2007, 02:09 AM   #5
(female)

rainbow_mandi HB User

I am the same, particuarly when I'm dieting. For example, if I go without breakfast (terrible, I know) I don't feel the need to eat all day, whereas if I have some toast (wholegrain) I'll be hungry again in a couple of hours, regardless of the GI of what I eat. It's like food stimulates my appetite or something. I'd be interested to know if anyone had any idea as to why this happens.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

When I don't eat enough and get REALLY hungry past the point of regular hunger, I get that way. I'll eat a meal and feel hungry afterwards. Do you think you were maybe eating too little the day before this started? Maybe since you were sleeping you didn't realize you were hungry at night. Make sure you drink a lot of water.. it helps with some of the hunger (not enough water can make you eat more surprisingly). I would just try to eat things like fruit if you feel hungry after your food. It is low in calories and the juices in it should help fill you up without you feeling guilty about it.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
(female)

zusanna HB User

That's strange because I do the same exact thing. This morning for example I wasn't extremely hungry but just a little. I had a small bowl of oatmeal, then I was hungry again an hour later so I had a banana. I usually do this after almost every meal. I'll eat until I'm full but just an hour or so later I feel like I need a snack. I try to eat healthy and I don't feel like my diet is the problem. Does anyone know why this happens?

Old 01-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
(female)

Jen121 HB User

Your hungry so quick because of the type of food you ate.

Bagels are full of white flour, white flour converts to sugar VERY quickly, so your body floods with sugar, gets its quick energy fix, and then falls just as fast, hence making you hungry again

On the other hand, if you ate something like an egg with veggies & flax seeds or any other type of nuts, that fat, protein, and fiber would take longer to digest and keep you more satisfied.

For those of you that say you are eating oatmeal and then getting hungry, its not about the oatmeal, its about the amount your eating of it, you should probably have a bigger serving to make you feel full or satisfied.

All in all, if your body is hungry, feed it with good wholesome food and you should be just fine

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

Ha, Jen I was going to say the *exact* same thing! All of the foods all you guys mentioned are primarily carbohydrates. They cause a spike in blood sugar, they're digested very quickly so like Jen said they actually make you hungry. Someone less knowledgeable might say you need to eat something more "substantial" to feel fuller. Next time add an egg or some beans or nut butter to your morning snack and you will not get hungry directly after eating.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
(female)

youcantsaveme18 HB User

it takes your brain about 20 minutes to realize your full. so once you've eaten your meal, go relax.. it should hit you after a while that your full.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
(female)

RumRunner01 HB User

I also have this problem. Regardless of what I eat or how much of it, solid food stimulates my appetite so that I am hungrier after I eat (more than 20 minutes aftewards) than I was before I ate. I eat 5-6 times per day (trying to lose weight and eating smaller, more frequent meals) but even after eating a meal I'm hungrier after I eat it (even after the 20 minutes that it should register in my brain). I too can go an entire day not eating (I do not do this but recently had an afternoon surgery and had to stop eating and drinking the night before) and not be bothered. But once a solid piece of food, whether it's an apple or a carrot or beans or chicken or bread, goes in my tummy I'm hungrier.

I don't have an explanation for it. It's very frustrating as I have been a life long dieter. I do exercise regularly and drink over 100 oz of water a day. I eat all my fruits and veggies. So I don't know what the deal is. I do know that I'm carb sensitive. Starch foods set me off in a binge cycle so I know to stay away from them.

But if I'm doing liquid foods like protein shakes or smoothies, my appetite does not get stimulated like it does with solid foods.

Closed Thread