It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

edself HB User
Bedtime Snacking...Good or Bad?

I have read that it is best to not eat right before bed. So, I have been trying to not eat anything after 7:00 or 8:00pm. When I do this, however, it sometimes makes it hard for me to sleep because I feel hungry. Are there any "safe" snacks I can have before bed that will enable me sleep without being unhealthy?

Old 01-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

lady66 HB User
Re: Bedtime Snacking...Good or Bad?

[-removed-]

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-14-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Do not copy material directly from another website.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

ricenbeanz HB User

I try to have dinner no later than 7, 7:30 but often I will get hungry around 11pm. When that happens, I reach for an orange. I know I probably shouldn't be snacking at all but a piece of fruit is better than most other options.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
(female)

PinstripedBabe HB User

i agree with down2zero.

from personal expierience, i eat everynight before bed because i get so hungry and nothing happens. ive never stored any fat from eating before bed. simply, your body doesn't know the difference. just keep it simple like some cheerios, or a piece of fruit or something. you might not want to eat something high in fat though because fat is hard for the body to digest and i've found that i get a bad night sleep if i eat something high in fat before sleeping.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

I agree with Down2Zero and PinstripedBabe. It's the total calories that you eat in any 24 hour day that count -- your body doesn't stop digesting just because the clock says 6 or 7 or 8 pm (take your pick from the "experts") and your body doesn't suddenly start using the calories for fat just because it's after a certain hour in the evening.

Listen to your body. If you're hungry, eat something. I find that something with protein and a little fat in it keeps me satisfied a lot longer than something that's primarily carbs. So, peanut butter on celery or a piece of cheese would tide me over a lot longer than cookies or candy.

--Rheanna

Old 01-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

One of the problems with eating bed-time snacks is that stomach acid is produced by some cells in your stomach and if you sleep flat it could travel up your esophagus and cause acid reflux.

It is best not to eat anything 3 hrs brfore going to bed or raise the head of your bed 3 to 6 inches so acid does not flow up your esophgus during sleeping.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
(female)

chelsie5 HB User

1/2 banana and warm milk will help you sleep better...............Never go to bed hungry, it's not good for the body................

Old 01-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
(female)

CSense HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsie5 View Post
1/2 banana and warm milk will help you sleep better...............Never go to bed hungry, it's not good for the body................
Why? I spent years eating before going to sleep and gain lots of weight. Not to mention, I had stomach pains the next morning and was extremely hungry. When I stopped eating after 7:30 - 8:00 and scheduled my bedtime at 10p.m., all those issues stopped; I had a more restful sleep and I lost 5 pounds.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

No one should go to bed with hunger pains. Not everyone has GERD. Everyone's different, and only you and your body know what you need. I've always snacked before bed and never had acid indigestion or reflux. Also, I've never gained weight from snacking before bed and I'm 44. As far as weight gain goes....It all depends on the total number of calories you eat and burn for the entire day. Look at how many calories you've had before your night time snack, then you'll know what you can snack on to mantain a healthy weight. Another thought is that snacking before bed will stave off the midnight muchies, if you're the type of person that wakes up in the middle of the night hungry for a snack. Here's what I snack on at night: (keep in mind that everything is a single serving and only one snack per night and vary the snack.) popcorn, fat-free pudding, 6 fat-free saltines with low-fat cheese and green olive slices, carrots, celery with fat-free dip or peanut butter, (I'm guilty....I eat peanut butter occationally.) warmed up fresh apple or banana with brown sugar and wheat germ and fat-free chocolate syrup, or a soft pretzel with low-fat cream cheese.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
(female)

missbluesky HB User

Csense,

I think it depends on the person. Having had problems with my lymph system, it is definately bad for me to eat heavy protein after 2 pm. That is me. I learned that it takes 8 hrs for the lymph system to break down those amino acids and has a cycle of slowing down too much at bedtime.

I think it is good to allow the digestive system to have a break while sleeping and so I try not to eat anything after 6pm. But I don't have hypoglycemia. Someone like that might have a problem doing that.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:32 AM   #11
(female)

CalistaBear HB User

I try not to think about it, worrying always makes things worse. I love food, so I'm always eating before bed. I never gain weight or have problems doing this. But like some others have said, everyone is different. Do what you feel. If meaty meals make you feel sluggish, grab an apple instead. If fruit isn't enough, make oatmeal and add that to it. Whatever you feel like, go for it..stop worrying & enjoy yourself.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
(female)

Jen121 HB User

Eating before bed is not the same as eating before work. Your body isnt in sleep mode when you are working.

When your sleeping, your body is renewing cells, recouping for the next day. Putting food before that just puts more work for it. Also your body is not active to use up the energy while you are sleeping as it would be if you were working.

I wouldnt say to go to bed hungry, but try to eat enough at dinner so that you wont feel the need to eat again, or just eat a fruit if you need to. Fruit digests quickly so its less complex for your digestion.

Also, yes everyone is different. I used to eat Burger King everyday and ice cream everynight and I never gained weight, i had a metabolism from heaven, but that doesnt mean someone else could do the same.

BTW, eating an orange when you wake up is good because again it digests quickly and isnt such a load for your digestion upon waking. But I usually eat what my body is craving.

Anyhow, hope that helped

Old 01-23-2007, 04:52 AM   #13
(female)

jayne 121 HB User

I agree with the bed time being different to other times of the day. At certain times your body goes into 'rest' mode and doesn't use as many calories while in this state. If you are truely hungry, not just snacking out of habit, then fruit or low-fat yoghurt is good. Aviod fruits like bananas though as they are high in carbs. Also maybe you should look at what you are eating for dinner and try high fibre foods that make you feel more full. goodluck!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

I usually eat before bed too, for me it's also that it helps me sleep. I am not overweight so that's not a problem (underweight, if anything!). But then I don't eat that much over a 24 hour period, so maybe that really is what matters.
But I agree, totally: Everybody's different!

One problem with eating before bed: It is kind of addictive!

I usually eat a bunch of bread (sometimes with peanut butter) and a couple apples (I love apples!), stuff like that, before bed. Sometimes some yogurt too, or soy milk.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #15
(female)

missaustralia HB User

eating before bed is not a bad thing but is not recommended.

the body although still working extremely hard rests whilst a person is sleeping. if metabolic processes such as digestion have to occur a person's body will simply have less time to rest and may cause things such as fractured sleep, tierdness in the morning even tho a normal amount of sleep has been undertaken etc.

dont go to bed starving, or full but slightly hungry

if you are starving before you sleep try eating something that doesn't need as much digestion as say a steak e.g. banana, milkshake etc.

Closed Thread