It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

CSense HB User
Interested in Going Vegan

I would like to go vegan or at least vegetarian and was wondering how I should start. Are there any books/DVD's or classes that could teach me some good recipes? I find some of the cookbooks difficult for someone like myself who doesn't cook often. I would greatly appreciate help with this.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
(female)

lady66 HB User
Re: Interested in Going Vegan

What are your reasons for wanting to become a vegetarian or a vegan?

I would start off going vegetarian before going vegan since being a vegan is very strict.

[removed]

Some of the more popular vegetarian fake meat products would be;
Morning star farms; they have chicken nuggets, TONS of different burgers, bacon, sausage links and tons more! [removed] You can find their products at most stores like Wal-mart and they usually have a huge selection.

Boca- they sell chili, burgers etc. You can find this just about anywhere.

Yves- A little harder to find, if you have a Kroger around you, go there. Kroger is my favorite place to shop for vegetarian food. They even have a section in the back by the produce of vegan/ vegetarian meals, also in the freezer section.

Quorn- they make chicken and turkey mostly.

Certain things you should know when going vegetarian-

When making any fake meat product like a burger; you really have to play around with how you want to cook it. For example, when I made my first veggie burger I put it in the microwave and it tasted horrible! Now I make most of my fake meat meals on my little George foreman grill.

Being vegetarian isnít all about eating tofu and veggies, although that is good for you!

Try different brands of vegetarian fake meat, donít just amuse because a burger from one brand tasted bad that it will from another brand.

When shopping for food, check the freezer section, the produce for fake meat products and even the canned food section.

[removed]

I wish you the best of luck! I have been a vegetarian for about 2 years and I feel great! I donít miss any of the foods I used to eat because if I want chicken, I can just have some fake meat chicken and it tastes soooooo good! If you have anymore questions I would be very happy to help!

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-18-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
(female)

lady66 HB User

also about the cooking; a lot of people amuse I would cook a lot since I dont eat meat, but the most I do with cooking is putting something on my grill, cutting up veggies, or heating something in the microwave.

[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-18-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan, but have thought about it. My roommate told me that she really like the Morningstar frozen meals and so far so good! I tried the bacon and at first I didn't care for it b/c it, but later on I felt like eating some more! So now I enjoy the "fakon." I got some of the burger patties and they were pretty tasty to me. They taste like a mix of chicken and beef to me, but of course have neither in it. I don't like Boca Burgers but my brother would eat them. Many of these are inexpensive so you could just buy and try them out and see what you like best. I also tried spinach artichoke bites from Morningstar and really liked them a lot.

[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-19-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Please start your own thread with a new topic.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

In the early 1980's, I went to a Vegan Resort in Florida for the purpose of Fasting for one week. I remember attending a lecture and it was explained that Vegan Diet means NO cooking. Everything you eat is raw including potatoes. Three meals were served each day and nothing was cooked. The majority attending were Vegans vacationing. A few were Fasting. I know a woman who calls herself a Vegan but she's not. She's a vegetarian but not a Vegan since she eats mostly cooked foods. Vegans are rare.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
(female)

lady66 HB User

those people were raw foodist, not vegans. A vegan is someone who doesnt use any animal products in their lifestyle. No wool, fur, slik for clothing. No honey, milk,eggs, meat etc for cooking. But they do infact cook. I cooked a lot when I was a vegan. A vegan is just someone who wont use anything from animals. Those people you were talking about were people who only ate raw food.

Last edited by lady66; 01-20-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:02 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

Lady66 is correct Mike, those were raw foodists. You might have been confused because raw foodists do not eat any animal products. However, while a vegan also doesn't eat animal products, vegans can cook food.

Original poster, I became a lacto ovo vegetarian (the most common type, someone who eats eggs and dairy) three years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. My body feels better now than it ever has in my life.

A book I recommend is Being Vegetarian For Dummies. It has the clearest, most easy to understand overview of basic dietary guidelines I've seen anywhere, plus a lot of side information like common myths and now to deal with criticism.

The only piece of advice I want to give you off the top of my head is not to jump right in. For example, don't go out and have a steak and say, "This is the last meat I am ever eating!". That's silly. Like jumping into a swimming pool when you don't have the faintest idea of how to swim. Instead, build a strong foundation of knowledge and experience, maintain a healthy attitude toward failure, and transition naturally into your new lifestyle. You don't go to sleep a meat eater and wake up in the morning a vegetarian, it is a process that takes months.

If you have any specific questions at all about the vegetarian lifestyle, please do post them here. I am an avid reader, passionate about health, and have helped many people online become vegetarians in a healthy, natural, positive way.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I am not a vegetarian, but really like the Morningstar Veggie Burgers. If you are dieting they are very low in calories and fat. I first started using them when I was on Weight Watchers because one patty was only one point. I like them well enough to keep them on hand all of the time.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
(female)

Jen121 HB User

wholegrain is right on target! Sounds very knowledgable

Old 01-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

Thank you.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
(female)

alwayscarin' HB User

Vegetarian Times is a great magazine chocked full of recipes. I've tried a few and my daughter, who is a vegetarian, has tried more. I started as a vegan, slipped back to vegetarian, and am working on going back to being vegan. I felt so much better. Getting all animal products out of my body made such a difference not only in my overall well being, but my weight also.

Closed Thread