It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

thatgirltoo HB User
Question Protein Powder

Hi,

Can anybody tell me how much protein the average person needs? I think I read somewhere that it was 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, but that seems like a lot. I don't want to pack on a bunch of muscle, but I do exercise and want to keep my lean muscle. I'm not a big meat eater, but I do eat meat. Do I even need to take extra protein?

Also, I have tried a few different brands of protein powder in the past and they were all pretty bad tasting. I know everyone's tastes are different, but if you have one you can honestly say tastes great I'd love to know what it is. I love chocolate, but have yet to find one that even comes close to actually tasting like chocolate.

Oh, and one more question, do you have to put protein powder in a shake or can you put it in other foods, and if you do this, what do you put it in??

Thanks!!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
(female)

star4822 HB User
Re: Protein Powder

You don't necessarily NEED protein powder, but if you do weight train, then it's definitely recommended to have immediately after working out.

I use a protein powder that I love-it tastes just like fruit juice!(I don't really like the dessert flavors, like chocolate or vanilla). It's called Syntrax Nectar. It comes in all types of different flavors, like lemonade, iced tea, cherry berry, etc. There's also another brand out there called PVL Whey Coolers, that taste just like Kool-Aid too.

The amount of protein you need is said to be 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. It might SEEM like a lot, but when it really comes down to it, it's not all that much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
(female)

thatgirltoo HB User

Thanks, simple_plan That protein drink sounds interesting, definitely something I would try. Does it mix well? I'm assuming you just stir it into water, or do you need a blender?

Old 01-24-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Someting like 60 grams of high quality protein will safely meet the needs of more than 90% of adults. People doing hard strength training need more as do pregnant women and rapidly growing teens.

With mostly vegetable protein (less balanced), perhaps 80 grams is a safer number.

This amount is enough to replace protein loss through tissue breakdown, with a pretty large safety margin. The body recycles MOST of the amino acids after it breaks down tissue so losses aren't large.

Eat too much and your body just burns it as fuel just like carbs and fats.

NOBODY needs a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight...that kind of advertising is just to sell body-building supplements.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
(female)

star4822 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirltoo View Post
Thanks, simple_plan That protein drink sounds interesting, definitely something I would try. Does it mix well? I'm assuming you just stir it into water, or do you need a blender?
Yeah, it mixes really well! No blender necessary. You just shake it up in water for about 30 seconds and it's ready to drink.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirltoo View Post

Also, I have tried a few different brands of protein powder in the past and they were all pretty bad tasting. I know everyone's tastes are different, but if you have one you can honestly say tastes great I'd love to know what it is. I love chocolate, but have yet to find one that even comes close to actually tasting like chocolate.

Oh, and one more question, do you have to put protein powder in a shake or can you put it in other foods, and if you do this, what do you put it in??
Thatgirltoo.....i really like ''Optimum Nutritions'' Whey and i buy mine at GNC. I love chocolate flavor too so some of the flavors they have are Chocolate Chip Mint, Double Rich Chocolate, Cookies and Creme, Rocky Road and Extreme Milk Chocolate.I like these so well that some times i'll put half a scoop of powder in my mouth and chew on it and it taste like i'm eating Chocolate fudge....

I mix mine with oatmeal or Fiber One cereal as you can put it on/in anything but do not cook it or super heat it as it will denature and become worthless

Old 01-24-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
(female)

thatgirltoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Someting like 60 grams of high quality protein will safely meet the needs of more than 90% of adults. People doing hard strength training need more as do pregnant women and rapidly growing teens.

With mostly vegetable protein (less balanced), perhaps 80 grams is a safer number.

This amount is enough to replace protein loss through tissue breakdown, with a pretty large safety margin. The body recycles MOST of the amino acids after it breaks down tissue so losses aren't large.

Eat too much and your body just burns it as fuel just like carbs and fats.

NOBODY needs a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight...that kind of advertising is just to sell body-building supplements.

Thanks for the info, Lenin

Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
(female)

thatgirltoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_plan_00 View Post
Yeah, it mixes really well! No blender necessary. You just shake it up in water for about 30 seconds and it's ready to drink.
That's a big plus! Nothing worse than a lumpy drink . . . .

Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #9
(female)

thatgirltoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3 View Post
Thatgirltoo.....i really like ''Optimum Nutritions'' Whey and i buy mine at GNC. I love chocolate flavor too so some of the flavors they have are Chocolate Chip Mint, Double Rich Chocolate, Cookies and Creme, Rocky Road and Extreme Milk Chocolate.I like these so well that some times i'll put half a scoop of powder in my mouth and chew on it and it taste like i'm eating Chocolate fudge....

I mix mine with oatmeal or Fiber One cereal as you can put it on/in anything but do not cook it or super heat it as it will denature and become worthless
Wow, 6foot3, I am amazed that you eat it straight like that, so I'm thinking it's got to taste pretty darn good. I have to say, those flavors do sound pretty good!

Closed Thread