It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

qwerty3 HB User
Fiber..money..effectiveness?

Hi, I've been taking metamucils caplets for awhile and they have been working real good. I have a couple of questions: First, since they are quite a bit of money (and run out fast) are the generic fiber capsules the same or are they not as effective? --the ones that are not metamucil but a store brand..

Second, are there any other fiber choices that last longer or you dont have to take so many of them to get the amount of fiber i want? I think I saw a commercial for Fiber Choice..two pink tablets that = 4 or 5 metamucil capsules.

Any information would be great!! Thanks all!

Old 01-29-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Fiber..money..effectiveness?

Generic are perfectly fine and far cheaper.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
(female)

qwerty3 HB User

So I bought Fiber Choice this time..they are chewable tablets. They were around the same as metamucil but the tablets contain more fiber than compared to the capsules.

They say take 2 tablets daily (4g). Is it safe to take more than this? I was getting more fiber with the capsules I was taking.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yes it is perfectly safe.
Anything fiber supllements up to 20 grams spread throughout the day is perfectly fine...don't do it all at once lest it forms a choking mass.

Aboriginal peoples typically eat FAR more fiber than that.

Taken as supplements though, this can get expensive.

Try this:
Can of black beans (15.5 ounces)
1/2 can water.
Puree in Blenderr with tsp. ground cumin, some red pepper, and a Tbsp of lemon juice.
HEat to a boil.
Serves one (a full lunch or light dinner)...350 calories,
DELICIOUS SOUP and it contains 21 GRAMS of soluble fiber!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-29-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
(male)

zevi8 HB User

why not just incorporate more fiber in your diet from food sources?

Old 02-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
(female)

qwerty3 HB User

Well I have been trying to get more fiber in my diet. I do eat a lot of carrots, cole slaw, a lot of wheat type things, veggies..But it seems having a supplement has worked so much better WITH all of those other foods.

I was wondering if it was better to take these chewable tablets with or without food...I believe someone here once said WITH food but just double checking. And also, if you don't take them with food will it still work effectively?

Old 02-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
(female)

OatmealCookies HB User

If you take too much fiber suppliment when you eat, you risk not gaining the full nurtitive properties of the food. Also, do not take fiber suppliments with other suppliments and medications because when the fiber bulks up, it can prevent the gut from absorbing them. This effect is good at helping control glucose and lipid digestion, according to research, but you should not be eating alot of those anyway.
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, boy!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

To have normal BMs a person needs to intake 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily along with 6 to 8 glasses of water. The fiber needs to be a combination of both insoluble fiber and soluble fiber.

Insoluble fiber causes the muscles in the intestines to contract moving along digested food. Soluble fiber absorbs fluid and bulks up the stool.

Insoluble fiber is all fruits and veggies including all greens, nuts & seeds, the outer parts of grains -- bran that is used in alot of cereals. The outside part of beans & peas-- green beans are insoluble. FiberCon contains calcium polycarbophil -- it does not absorb fluids -- it acts like an insoluble fiber.

Soluble fiber is the inner part of the grains - like rice, oats, corn, barley and wheat. Also, the inner part of all beans and peas are soluble. The family of root veggies are all soluble-- like potatoes, carrots, beets and turnips.

And, the soluble fiber supplements contain mostly soluble fiber-- Metamucil, Konsyl, Equate from Wal Mart and others all contains psyllium a natural fiber ( the fibers that contain the entire ground up seed contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, Citrucel contains methylcellulose a semisythetic soluble fiber,
Benefiber contains guar gum a ntrual fiber, Fiber Choice contains chicory root also known as Inulin-- it is also added to some other foods like yogurt.

All meats, seafood and all dairy products contain NO fiber.

Some people have alot of gas when natural soluble fiber is introduced to their diet but with continued use the gas usually goes away.
Also, some foods contain sugars in the proceed of digestion and fermentation that are natural gas producers--- broccoli, caggage, sweet potatoes, beans and others --- Beano helps with this type of gas.

Most people do not eat enough food that contains soluble fiber foods,

Harry

Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
(female)

RumRunner01 HB User

I recently got the Fiber Choice tablets (sugar free ones) and I can't take them as they gave me horrible painful bloating gas. I looked closer and saw they have sorbitol in them which does a number on my body. I wish I had read that before I bought them. I will go back to my pure psyllium husk, it's cheaper and you get a lot more fiber in it anyway.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3 View Post
So I bought Fiber Choice this time..they are chewable tablets. They were around the same as metamucil but the tablets contain more fiber than compared to the capsules.

They say take 2 tablets daily (4g). Is it safe to take more than this? I was getting more fiber with the capsules I was taking.
Hi there, I am doing the Fiber Choice also and love it! My bottle says you can take up to 6 per day, I usually consume around 4, but have taken the 6 per day with no problems. I have found that for instance, if I am going to an all you can eat buffet, I will eat a couple with a bottle of water and I get full very fast and have no problem not overeating. Good luck, I love Fiber Choice. Bren

Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Also, the Fiber Choice ceral is sooo..good, low calorie and lots of fiber. I eat it in the morning with 1/2 blueberries and 1 cup skim milk and wipe out my fiber needs for the day almost. Also, it makes an awesome low calorie garnish for salads or yougurt. Bren

Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Harry,

thanks for the detailed info. When it comes to our daily intake of fluids, does 6-8 glasses of water mean exactly that? Plain water? Or would a couple of cups of green tea (for instance) count as a glass of water and have the same effect on digestion?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I think green tea since it's mostly water and a good antioxidant would also count as water intake!!

Old 04-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

I don't mean to butt-in, I am curious for myself as well.

Doesn't green tea contain caffeine, so it would deplete water? or is the amount of caffeine too minimal that it wouldn't matter? just wondering, thanks!

Closed Thread