It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User
Lightbulb Thoughts on Soda

I know soda isn't good for you, that I should be drinking water instead. I do drink a lot of water (mainly because I exercise and because my medication makes me SO thirsty) but I also crave my pop in the afternoon. (I only drink about one can per day and I TRY to make it caffeine free) I drink diet, which claims to be better than regular because there's "no sugar" obviously, but I know it's just chemicals, which can't be good.

What is your opinion about soda? Avoid all types like the plague? Do you think that it is hindering my weight loss goals? Or, do you think it doesn't matter, as long as it's diet?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: Thoughts on Soda

I wouldn't say avoid it like the plague but having it every day is not good. I have some maybe once every couple weeks. I drink water, milk, orange juice instead. I hear that drinking diet soda can sabotage a diet only because if someone drinks a diet soda with there meal then they think they can eat more food because they are saving on the calories from the diet soda and so they end up getting too many calories from the food by over doing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Innerstrength,

For anyone on a diet who wants a tasty beverage that is without caloric consequence, the diet soda are a blessing, whether caffeinated or not.
For those that can drink water and only water with meals, then go with the wwater.
But, if you are like I am, you find that while water has its place in a healthy diet, it is NOT a palate pleaser.

If you can switch to water, then DO, but if your choice is a soda with 8 teaspoons of sugar per can, then stick with the diet sodas.

People have been drinking them for a half century by the trillions of gallons and nobody has been found to have his health impaired as a result.
Don't believe the internet hype about the "horrors" pf artificial sweetners...that's all it is, HYPE. Without them dieting becomes a LOT more difficult.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-28-2007 at 04:44 AM.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
(female)

Islandgirl1970 HB User

The one thing about diet soda is that Aspertame in particular has been accused of being an appetite stimulant, much like MSG, so aim for ones that use Splenda.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Innerstrength, you can ask 10 people this question and get 10 different answers. The best advice I know of is to try eliminating it from your diet and see how you do.

I eliminated it from my diet, and I noticed massive improvement in all sorts of areas (skin complexion, weight loss, energy levels, no more migraines, hair loss stopped, GI troubles ceased). And I don't buy into any "hype" either. My doctor told me not to drink any soda because he suspected I had a kidney stone. My drinks of choice at that time were Coke (full sugar), Diet Arizona Sweet Tea, Fresca and Tab. The hardest part of getting over my addiction was the caffeine withdrawals. But after a couple weeks, it was really painless.

That was almost two years ago, and now I find I don't care for soda/sweetened drinks at all. I'm sure it's just a matter of taste, tho. I just think that good food tastes nasty with a soda or a chemical-laden drink. And I'll be the first to admit I'm a foodie. If I can't have wine with my foie gras, filet or snapper, I opt for spring water with lemon so as to not ruin the flavors of whatever I'm eating.

So, see, I eliminated sodas and sweet teas for one reason -- at my physician's direction -- and found massive improvement in a dozen areas that I wasn't even looking for.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

I don't drink much soda at all, but if I do, I drink regular ones. I guess you have to get used to diet sodas taste? Cause whenever I would try a diet soda(or any diet drink), it would have a weird taste, and I'd get an after taste also.

Also, I like soda better when it starts to lose some of its fizz. Most people don't seem to like flat sodas. I could just do without the carbonation, it's pretty strong for me.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
(female)

AppleCore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post

People have been drinking them for a half century by the trillions of gallons and nobody has been found to have his health impaired as a result.
Don't believe the internet hype about the "horrors" pf artificial sweetners...that's all it is, HYPE. Without them dieting becomes a LOT more difficult.
There maybe a lot of hype about artificial sweetners but i would still be wary about them. Some of them say right on their labeling that they have ingredients that may cause cancer.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
(female)

Lstumpy HB User

Did you know that it takes almost 16 glases of water for your body to get rid of the acids and chemicals in your body you take in from soda? That said, maybe you should try switching to those carbonated fruit drinks. They're clear and bubbly and don't have any sugar or carbs or cals in them. You can get them at walmart in the snack section where they have the chex mix and green teas.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

In my opinion...

Soda is a man made product, with a whole list of unpronounceable ingredients in the title. Whether its diet or not, every time you drink it you are putting chemicals into your body that aren't naturally occuring. Who knows what that is doing inside us, or what gradual change it is having on our bodies. I'm a firm believer of drinking/eating whole, natural produce. The earth provides so many tasty, natural foods and drinks that I really don't see why people can choose something as sickly and chemical laden as a soda. Eat and drink naturally occuring foods, and you can't go far wrong in weight management and overall health. Stay away from the processed stuff

Old 03-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding View Post
In my opinion...

Soda is a man made product, with a whole list of unpronounceable ingredients in the title. Whether its diet or not, every time you drink it you are putting chemicals into your body that aren't naturally occuring. Who knows what that is doing inside us, or what gradual change it is having on our bodies. I'm a firm believer of drinking/eating whole, natural produce. The earth provides so many tasty, natural foods and drinks that I really don't see why people can choose something as sickly and chemical laden as a soda. Eat and drink naturally occuring foods, and you can't go far wrong in weight management and overall health. Stay away from the processed stuff
Very well said!!!! I completely agree 100%!!!

Closed Thread