It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User
Steak-Is it good for you?

I've always wondered if steak is good for you or not (ie for weight maintenance) Are there types of steak which are better for you than others? I quite enjoy T Bone but I saw the fat content of it and thought again. Any advice would be appreciated

Old 03-16-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Steak-Is it good for you?

The healthiest cuts of beef are those lowest in fat. About the very best you can do is top-round (that must be braised, slow most cooked...pot roast) which has about 10% of its calories from fat. That is with every visible speck of fat is removed with a knife.

On the other hand a breathtaking Filet Mignon with 1/4 inch of fat left round the outside has 50% of its calories as fat. If you take off efvery speck of visible fat, and it would be criminal to do so, it is STILL 36% fat calories.

So basically, if you want lowish fat and tender beef it really has to be a pot-roast.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-16-2007 at 06:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
(female)

AmandaH HB User

But it is oh, so good! I do enjoy a nice, juicy steak on occasion, with only *some* of the fat removed.

Last edited by AmandaH; 03-16-2007 at 09:31 AM.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Steak is an excellent source of zinc, B-12, iron, riboflavin and thiamin, and of course protein. It packs a wallop of what your body needs, and yes it is very good for you.

But calorie wise, yes it is best to watch the fatty cuts if you are watching your calories and for other health reasons.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

I had a look at eye fillet and rump steak. I usually grill my steak in the health grill and cut all the fat off. Are eye fillet or rump any better than TBone?

Old 03-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
(female)

fairydust7 HB User

I dont' see antyhing wrong with a steak every now and then in moderation. I think the biggest problem is moderation. Growing up it wasn't unusual to eat red meat (beef) 3 to 4 times a week, sometimes even more. I never thought much about it until I moved out of my parents house and started buying my own groceries. Then I realized how much red meat i used to consume. And a lot of my friends families were like that.

I eat steak or red meat about once a month. Maybe twice a month, but definitely no more than that. I don't think red meat is horrible for us, but I also don't think its something that should be consumed frequently. I eat fish twice a week, at least once a week a meatless meal and the rest of the week its either chicken or pork.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Just as another poster said, steak is neither good nor bad for you. If you enjoy it, eat it and don't worry about it but don't eat too much of it or too often. If you make it only an occasional treat then eat the very best steak you can find and don't deny yourself the pleasure. So go ahead and have that T-bone or the filet mignon. An occasional steak (or an occssional anything) is not going to ruin your health in any way.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

I'm just a bit stuck on foods to eat. I do eat a lot of chicken breast and am looking for an alternative one night a week. I eat lean mince once a week and chicken 3-4 but really can't hack it another night. I don't like fish either. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Throw a lean round cut in the Crock Pot over some sliced onions, carrots, potatoes, add spices (rosemary is nice) and a cup of red wine...cook for 6-8 hours.
Melt in your mouth and not too much fat.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccles View Post
I'm just a bit stuck on foods to eat. I do eat a lot of chicken breast and am looking for an alternative one night a week. I eat lean mince once a week and chicken 3-4 but really can't hack it another night. I don't like fish either. Does anyone have any ideas?
Unless, for some reason you don't eat it (religious reasons), pork is an excellent way to add in something other than the same old beef, fish, chicken routine. And, contrary to what most believe, it is no more fattening or bad for you than anything else, if you eat the right cut.

All cuts of trimmed pork, with the exception of ribs, are lean. With pork, fat isn't found inside the meat fibres but mostly around it, like a banana peel, which allows it to be removed easily. Some cuts of pork are as low or lower in fat than chicken

There are many cuts to choose from, with lots of different ways to prepare it.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Throw a lean round cut in the Crock Pot over some sliced onions, carrots, potatoes, add spices (rosemary is nice) and a cup of red wine...cook for 6-8 hours.
Melt in your mouth and not too much fat.
And the best way to deal with any fat that is there in a any beef (or other meat) that gets cooked in liquid is to refrigerate the whole thing after cooking (before eating it ) and after it cools down, probably overnight) all the fat that had melted off the beef and found its way into the liquid will have solidified on top and you can just pick it right off (before re-heating it) and have a basically fat free product but it will still taste the same (yummy). That's what I do, anyway.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Like has been said, I wouldn't advise eating steak several times a week, but once in a while is alright. I don't see how people can eat it rare though. That upsets my stomach just thinking about it.

I haven't been to fond of pork, considering that some farmers feed pigs anything you can think of.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male View Post
Like has been said, I wouldn't advise eating steak several times a week, but once in a while is alright. I don't see how people can eat it rare though. That upsets my stomach just thinking about it.

I haven't been to fond of pork, considering that some farmers feed pigs anything you can think of.
Pigs raised commercially don't eat just "anything you can think of". They are fed feed just like any other animal rasied for market. It is done on a strict FDA standard, inspected facility. Very tightly regulated. It's in the growers best interest to feed them as balanced, healthy feed to grow them as fast as they can, as to get them to market anyway.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

I was thinking of eating pork. I have some stir fry meat in the freezer (is this ok?) I like stirfry except the problem is it always needs to be cooked in a lot of oil. Is there any other method of cooking I can do to cook the meat without all that oil?

Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccles View Post
I was thinking of eating pork. I have some stir fry meat in the freezer (is this ok?) I like stirfry except the problem is it always needs to be cooked in a lot of oil. Is there any other method of cooking I can do to cook the meat without all that oil?
I don't know if you can do this with stir fry meat or not. BTW, is that how it is labeled, is it strips or something? I take pieces of lean pork, different cuts, put minced garlic, sea salt, pepper, any other spice you like, some barbecue sauce, and bake slowly. It's very good. The sauce keeps it moist, I don't need to add any oil at all. If it has any fat at the bottom of the dish after cooking, I pour it all off. You don't need a lot of barbecue sauce, just enough to spoon across the top a bit, just for flavor, and keep it moist. 3 Tbsp. maybe. Cover the dish with a lid, that keeps the steam in. You can do it in a crock pot while you are away for the day, too.

Closed Thread