It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

*Boo HB User
Re: Too much food?

I thought we were meant to have 5 pieces of fruit a day??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

No, we were supposed to have 5-6 pieces of fruit AND vegetables. For some reason people only see the "fruit" part of the recommendation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

fairydust7 HB User

I have understood it as a minimum to have 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, with 2 of the servings fruits and 3 of the servings vegetables. And that ideally we should eat up to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables combined a day. I don't know how many of those 9 ideal servings would be fruit, but I would think that the majority of those 9 servings should be vegetables anyway. And that we are supposed to try and vary the colors of vegetables and fruits we eat, like orange, purple, reds greens and whites or something since they all have different good nutrients and antioxidants for us. And servings are only 1/2 cup or say a small apple from my understanding.

I eat 2 to 3 servings of fruits a day and as many servings of vegetables as I can, but at the minimum 3 servings a day.

Last edited by fairydust7; 04-11-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

You are exactly correct. It's recommended to eat at least 5-6 servings of fruit and vegetables daily. Nine srvings is much better and your way is perfect: 2-3 fruit servings and the rest vegetables. And you are correct about serving sizes as well. Most people think one fruit, no matter how large, makes one serving. It doesn't. A large apple may count as two servings. Same with any large fruit.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita View Post
You are exactly correct. It's recommended to eat at least 5-6 servings of fruit and vegetables daily. Nine srvings is much better and your way is perfect: 2-3 fruit servings and the rest vegetables. And you are correct about serving sizes as well. Most people think one fruit, no matter how large, makes one serving. It doesn't. A large apple may count as two servings. Same with any large fruit.
I was under the impression that you ought to have 5 DIFFERENT fruits/veg a day, so even if you have 5 apples it would only count as one of those five.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

NO.
Five apples would count as five fruit servings and if they are large apples, they would count as more than five servings. It doesn't matter really in what combination you eat the fruit. Of course, it's nicer to have a variety but DEFINITELY, if you eat five of any fruit (even if they are all the same color, shape, taste, variety) it is still five servings.
If I used the same logic you applied then eating 50 apples (or any other fruit) would still count as only one serving of fruit and that certainly cannot be so.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
(female)

*Boo HB User
Re: How many servings of fruits & veg?

Thanks for clearing that up, guys you've been really helpful...I think I have been eating too much fruit too! I'll try and substitute some fruit for veg... well at least I haven't been eating too much chocolate!

I also just wanted to say that I didn't mean to start a whole new thread, just reply to the one that was already there, so sorry to duplicate this topic!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita View Post
NO.
Five apples would count as five fruit servings and if they are large apples, they would count as more than five servings. It doesn't matter really in what combination you eat the fruit. Of course, it's nicer to have a variety but DEFINITELY, if you eat five of any fruit (even if they are all the same color, shape, taste, variety) it is still five servings.
If I used the same logic you applied then eating 50 apples (or any other fruit) would still count as only one serving of fruit and that certainly cannot be so.

I'm not convinced. The reason that 5 different types are advocated is because each fruit and vegetable has vastly different nutrient qualities, and it is important to get a range of those from different sources everyday.

It's better to eat say half a large apple, and save the rest for the next day, and have four more servings of different fruits or veg, so that you are getting a full range of nutrients, in my opinion. Of course any fruit is better than none, but different kinds are better if you have the opportunity.

Last edited by Ding; 04-12-2007 at 10:15 PM.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
(female)

AmandaH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding View Post
I'm not convinced. The reason that 5 different types are advocated is because each fruit and vegetable has vastly different nutrient qualities, and it is important to get a range of those from different sources everyday.

It's better to eat say half a large apple, and save the rest for the next day, and have four more servings of different fruits or veg, so that you are getting a full range of nutrients, in my opinion. Of course any fruit is better than none, but different kinds are better if you have the opportunity.
Well, you should have a variety of fruits and veggies. But if you eat 2 or 3 of the same fruit in the same day, you can't count that as only 1 serving. If apples are on sale, I might buy them and have 2 in a day - that would be 2 servings. But next week, pears are on sale, so I'll have 2 of those, along with some berries, in a day giving me 3 servings. The key is overall variety. Same with veggies.

Last edited by AmandaH; 04-13-2007 at 09:16 AM.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
(male)

naturodude HB User

Eating the same foods every day can result in an allergic reaction to it as well as some other things. Variety is awesome, especially if you're eating non-organic produce. I doubt eating "50 apples" will only count as one serving(ouch...50!..think of the fiber.lol), but eating other stuff like broccoli, peaches, papaya, mango, kiwi, etc will give a wide variety of nutrients instead of the few found with only eating 1-2 types(such as apples).

Old 04-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding View Post

Well, you may not be convinced and you are entitled to your view but nowhere does it specify that you have to eat 5 different fruit or whatever number you use. What is specified is how many servings of fruit and vegetables you should eat daily. Optimally, one should eat a variety but you cannot tell me that if you decide you want to eat five apples per day that this constitutes only one serving. That's totally wrong and illogical. If I follow your logic then I could eat 5 apples, 5 bananas, 5 pears, 5 peaches and 5 plums and still count it as only five servings of fruit, not 25 since there were only five different fruit in that list. Does that make any sense?

Old 04-14-2007, 02:37 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

Every '5-a-day' promoting leaflet or poster i've seen in the doctor's office has emphasized the need for variety.

Of course I understand that 50 apples a day is physically 50 pieces of fruit, but I'm saying that its not 50 nutritional servings.

I'll try and explain what I mean.
The body does not store vitamins (like it stores fat for example) They are things that need to be topped up regularly with a wide variety of food from different sources, to ensure the body is receiving its full range. Excess vitamin C, for example, is excreted straight out of the body if it recieves to much. SO, its worthless and inefficient to eat loads and loads of the same fruit/veg, because the body can only deal with a certain amount of vitamins at a given time. Whereas, if you eat 5 DIFFERENT kinds of fruit you are providing your body with a wider spectrum of nutrients that it is more likely to be able to utilize in full and keep all your different levels topped up.

You're entitled to eat however you want. I just think that if people are wanting to learn from this board about the best ways to improve their health through the foods they eat, then it is undeniable that variety is a key way to do this. We are omnivores, and physically designed to benefit and process a wide range of foods.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Of course, each piece of fruit or vegetable may offer a little bit of difference in terms of micronutrients. No one argues that one should eat only one kind of fruit.
Variety is the issue here.
But not variety only in the choice of fruit but variety in the choice of food.
The original poster was wondering whether she was consuming too much food. The answers she received from the consequent posts was that no, this was not too much of food but too much of a certain type of food. Her diet was unbalanced in terms of her macronutrients. The suggestions that followed were ones that suggested she limit the number (the amount) of one type of food and add some more variety with other foods. Nowhere was it suggested that she limit the variety in her fruit. It would not be in her interest to suggest to her that she could happily eat several of the same fruit and still count it "officially" as only one serving and then go on and eat several more pieces of fruit in order to obtain some other micronutrietns and balance out each micronutrient.
What was suggested was that she limit the number of servings of fruit (and she can eat whichever two fruit she wishes) and increase the number of vegetables, protein servings and whole grain carbs . No one suggested she eat only one kind of anything. Suggestion was to eat a wide variety of food, not only a wide variety of fruit. So in this respect we agree. Variety in food choices is very important. Her current diet does not offer enough variety so she would benefit from changing it. She would definitely not improve her diet if, after reading your posts, she would feel justified in eating several pieces of each kind of fruit because, as long as it's the same fruit, she can count is as one "nutritional" serving.
With concern for nutrition, it is imperative to balance one's diet. The food pyramid shows us the optimum way. The original poster is missing quite a few parts of her pyramid.

Last edited by rita; 04-14-2007 at 09:15 AM.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

Ok. I never thought that suggesting 5 different servings of fruit and veg a day would be such a hotly contested topic on a board like this. I'm stepping out. This is all I'm saying, much of which I think we agree on...
Aim for variety

Use common sense to dicatate serving sizes

Aim for balance in your diet with all the different food groups overall, but 5-a-day is a good place to start

Never underestimate the power of micronutrients

Last edited by Ding; 04-14-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Closed Thread