It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User
kefir, Is it supposed to smell bad?

So I bought some of this stuff at the grocery store the other wk and when I opened it up it smelled like yogurt that had gone a little bad. Is It supposed smell this way? As far as I could tell the exp. date was still okay on it....

Old 05-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Re: kefir, Is it supposed to smell bad?

Yes, kefir is that way. The real stuff I used to drink growing up in Europe had the look, consistency and texture of soured milk because basically it's fermented milk. It is supposed to be tangy. I loved to drink it cold on a hot summer day and I still love it whenever I can get the real suff. I don't like the fruit flavored ones, only the plain flavor. It's very healthy because it contains many strains of good bacteria normally not found in yogurt.

Last edited by rita; 05-11-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I make my own and yes, it has a bit more of an odor than yoghurt. It's more complex and the fungi and yeasts that contribute to its fermentation give it a little more "cheesiness." It also has alcohol and effervescence (if the buggies are happy) and it can be fermented to the point of being QUITE tart. If you've ever had fermented buttermilk, the smell is similar.

I would never say it smelled BAD except in one instance, where the milk was almost spoiled at the start. It happened only once in 5 years to me but then the smell was distinctly that of spoiled milk...quite distinct and quite awful. It took me several batches to get that bacteria out of the grains. I learned my lesson and ALWAYS smell the milk before I start and never usee any milk that's close to the "sell by."

Last edited by Lenin; 05-11-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

Hmm, well I bought the vanilla flavored kefir and mixed it up with some vanilla ice cream and I was able to drink some of it. How long can I keep it in my fridge before it actually does go bad? cause it's not often that I eat ice cream or make a smoothie.....

Old 05-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Ice cream and kefir... That's a novel combination for sure. I have never tried vanilla kefir (or any other flavor but plain) but I hope it's sweet otherwise it would make for a strange addition to ice cream.
I believe shelf life of kefir is pretty short, 2-3 days

Old 05-12-2007, 04:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

No, it keeps quite long.

The multitude of bacteria, fungi and yeasts that make up kefir exude antibiotics that keep other bacteria OUT. I have had it in the fridge for a month and it was delicious.
In fact I keep adding more to the same old batch as I drink from it and have kept this jug going for overr a year so PART of the kefir is at least that old.

This keeping quality (even without refrigeration) is what made it so popular with nomadic people long before refrigeration was invented.

Ice creak and kefir eh!
I try to avoid any milk products for a couple hours before and after I drink my kefir becasue the fermentation of the fresh milk can resume in the warm stomach with noisy consequences.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-12-2007 at 04:43 AM.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
No, it keeps quite long.

Perhaps I should have said that shelf life of kefir is pretty short when it's on my shelf. It definitely doesn't last more than 2-3 days there

Old 05-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post

Ice creak and kefir eh!
I try to avoid any milk products for a couple hours before and after I drink my kefir becasue the fermentation of the fresh milk can resume in the warm stomach with noisy consequences.
If noise was the only consequence, it would not be too bad

Closed Thread