It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

jess1866 HB User
Protein Suggestions.

So I increased to 1200 calories from 1100 calories now that I am working out.

My workout is 3 days a week of 1 hour long cardio sessions alternating with 3 days a week of 1 hour long weight training sessions. My weight training sessions usually focus on 2-3 muscle groups doing about 3-4 exercises for each of them, usually each exercise is 3 sets of 12+ reps.

Anyway, since I'm more into losing some fat and toning up than losing tons of weight I can imagine protein is VERY important. I read that 30% of my calories should come from protein. Since I consume 1200 calories a day and 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, I figured out that I need to consume 90 grams of protein a day!

First of all, is that calculation correct?

Secondly, I think I only consume about 65 grams of protein now when I'm actually TRYING to eat more protein. How in the world do I increase my protein intake without increasing my calories?

I do recognize the fact that my snacks should include more protein, so I would love some low calorie/high protein snack suggestions as well as some simple things to put together as meals. I don't really cook much because my living situation doesn't permit it, so the simpler the suggestions the better.

Thanks!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Re: Protein Suggestions.

My favorite forms of protein (besides meat) are:

Cottage cheese
Peanut Butter/Almond Butter
Yogurt
Nuts

Also, I'm not sure if protein is 4 calories per gram or 9. I always get protein and carb calorie counts confused. I believe protein is 9, though, so double check your calculation.

Are you sure 1200 calories is enough for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 04:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jess,

Your 65 grams of protein are PROBABLY enough but 90 might better protect against muscle loss. Yes that calculation you did is correct.

To boost your protein intake without too much damaging your calories, you can start the day with a breakfast shake made from a cup skim milk, an egg, an ounce of protein powder and some flavoring, like cocoa and an artificial sweeetner...about 300 calores but about 45 grams of protein. If it's more calories than you want you can skip the egg and still get over 35 grams of protein for about 200 calories.

But 65 grams of protein with a decent carbohydrate intake (so your brain won't need to scavenge protein to get glucose) should be okay.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
(female)

jess1866 HB User

Thanks for the reply Lenin, I didn't expect someone to tell me that my current amount might be ok!

Most of the calories I get are from carbs, then protein, and last- fat. I think I'll make small changes first to see how high I can get my protein levels, such as string cheese as a snack instead of pudding, eat more tuna, get the smart ones higher in protein, etc. I really don't want to go the protein powder/shake route. When you are only consuming 1200 calories you want them all to be edible! But, if I find that even with the additional effort I am getting around 65 grams I'll try your breakfast idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Jess,

Your 65 grams of protein are PROBABLY enough but 90 might better protect against muscle loss. Yes that calculation you did is correct.

To boost your protein intake without too much damaging your calories, you can start the day with a breakfast shake made from a cup skim milk, an egg, an ounce of protein powder and some flavoring, like cocoa and an artificial sweeetner...about 300 calores but about 45 grams of protein. If it's more calories than you want you can skip the egg and still get over 35 grams of protein for about 200 calories.

But 65 grams of protein with a decent carbohydrate intake (so your brain won't need to scavenge protein to get glucose) should be okay.

Closed Thread