It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
(female)

numbcy HB User
Need Help with an "Elimination Diet" - Several Food Intolerances

I am suspect that I am intolerant to MANY different kinds of food. I have been unable to figure out which ones, so I go weeks without eating anything solid; only juice fasting, which I know is unhealthy for long periods of time, but I do not want to feel like I would rather die (with all of the symptoms I get when I do eat). I would like to do an "elimination diet" but do not have the money to see a nutritionist/dietician once a week. I really don't even have the money to see one even ONCE! Can some one help me with an "elimination diet"?

Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
(male)

naturodude HB User
Re: Need Help with an "Elimination Diet" - Several Food Intolerances

I suggest only eating:
Veggies
Fruits
Nuts/seeds (unless you're allergic to that too)
Lean meats (organic if posible)
healthy oils (flaxseed, olive, hemp, Total EFA)
water

Stay on this diet for two weeks, then slowly, one at a time, add back the foods you were eating. This will tell you which foods you're allergic to.
<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-02-2008 at 06:00 AM. Reason: peer sharing only

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
(female)

numbcy HB User

That is pretty much what I did on my own. Strictly veggies and fruits for 10 days. As soon as I added rice pasta with organic tomatoe paste, within 30 hours, I got sick. For some reson, AFTER I get a reaction, even the Veggies and Fruits that didn't give me reactions before, now give me the same reaction. The only thing that seems to work to "clear it up" is to go on a 5-7day veggie juicefast and then start over again.

After some one has a reaction to a food, how long does the reaction usually last for? Because mine last for 5-7 days at a time where I am bed-ridden and am so dizzy I cannot even move!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

The way it's usually done is to eat only RICE for a week...as much as you want. It has been found that NOBODY is allergic to rice.
Then add a suspect foodm perhaps chicken, and see what it does to you...after several days you either keep the new food or eliminate it and then try another food.

All the time you keep the rice.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
(female)

numbcy HB User

Am I allowed to put anything on the rice? Like salt at least? Or does it have to be plain rice?

If I have a reaction to a food how long does it take for that reaction to go away? Because, my reactions last for 5-7 days. Is that noraml?

Also, after the week of rice, I suppose I can only introduce 1 new food every 48 hours?

And I suppose if I have a reaction, I have to go back to only rice for another week before I try again?

. . . I am willing to do whatever I have to do. I need my life back.

Last edited by numbcy; 07-23-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yes, you can salt the rice, nobody is allergic to salt...but don't use soy sauce because soy might be one of your allergens... same goes for pepper.
No, if you find a food you are allergic to just drop it and move to your next food the next day. Needless to say, you need to keep GOOD records.

Once you have 3 or 4 safe foods, say rice, chicken, broccoli and iceburg lettuce you can begin eating decent meals while continuing to test new additions. Some big allergens might be MILK, Orange juice, pineapple, peanuts, tomato...so look hard at them. I hope you can eat pasta without problems...that will rule out wheat and gluten allergies. Life is tough without wheat.

It will take a LOT of time to sort out but after the first couple weeks you should be able to put together some balanced meals. That first week of rice, rice, rice is going to be tough sledding though.

It is IMPORTANT that you be very systematic and go thhrough foods one by one.

Closed Thread