It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
(male)

John55 HB User
How do we know whether sugar is added in juice concentrate?

I try to avoid juice that has high fructose corn syrup or other form of sugar added. The label of the grape juice and orange juice I drink everyday both said "from juice concentrate". There is no mentioning of high fructose corn syrup anywhere on their labels. My wife told me that based on their calories (210 for the grape juice and 140 for the orange juice, both 10 oz.), there must be sugar added.

I guess if sugar was added at the stage when juice concentrate was made, Tropicana is not required to put 'high fructose corn syrup' in the label. As the consumer you just have to figure out what's in the juice concentrate yourself. How can I find out what goes in the concentrate? Anyone has any thoughts and ideas? Thanks.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: How do we know whether sugar is added in juice concentrate?

John55,

Technically, all ingredients should be listed on the label. If sugar was added, they may choose to not specify what form of sugar. Just to be sure, I would look for a label that bragged: "100% fruit juice".

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

John,

I think that the calorie counts are for the juices themselves. The law demands that any added sugar or HFCS be mentioned on the label of ingredients.

Fruit juices have a LOT of natural sugars,

Old 07-31-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
(male)

John55 HB User

Thanks to both of you. The grape and orange juice I drink both have a label "100% juice". I uderstand juice does have a lot natural sugars, which is fine to me.

If HFCS is added in making the juice, I am sure they have to put it on the label. My wife's theory is that HFCS is added in making the juice concentrate. So when Tropicana makes their juice by adding filtered water to the juice concentrate, they are in fact not adding HFCS. As long as they list concentrate as one of the ingredients, they are complying with the law. They are not required to say 'ya, by the way HFCS is added in making the concentrate.'

I just re-read the label, the Welch's grape juice does say "No Sugar Added". The juice is very sweet though, much so than the orange juice, which does not have a label "No Sugar Added". So I'll keep drinking the grape juice.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
(male)

John55 HB User

Just called the two juice companies. They said no HFCS or any other form of sugar were added to make their concentrate. All sugar is the natural part of the fruit. I am glad they both have their 800 phone number on their bottles.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Just to reassure you, I compared two cans of concentrate that I have, both from the same company, America's Choice (A&P.)

One concentrate is LEMONADE and the first ingredient is High Fructose Corn Syrup followed by about 4 other ingredients.
The other product is ORANGE JUICE and the first and only item in this is is CONCENTRATED ORANGE JUICE...they even spell out that the oranges come from both Brazil and the U.S.A....so no HFCS in the OJ.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
(male)

John55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Just to reassure you, I compared two cans of concentrate that I have, both from the same company, America's Choice (A&P.)

One concentrate is LEMONADE and the first ingredient is High Fructose Corn Syrup followed by about 4 other ingredients.
The other product is ORANGE JUICE and the first and only item in this is is CONCENTRATED ORANGE JUICE...they even spell out that the oranges come from both Brazil and the U.S.A....so no HFCS in the OJ.
Thanks! I am glad I'll keep drinking the two kind of juice I have been drinking.

Closed Thread