It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
(male)

somedepresedguy HB User
does pop really dehydrate you?

someone just told me soda pop dehydrates you. is that true?

Old 08-22-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: does pop really dehydrate you?

In a word, yes.

It is full of sugar and sodium and often caffeine... all of which can leave you dryer than when you started, if you don't drink enough water in conjunction with it. The rule for coffee is to drink three cups of water for every cup of coffee; it's probably safe to assume the same for pop.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
(male)

somedepresedguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffkid View Post
In a word, yes.

It is full of sugar and sodium and often caffeine... all of which can leave you dryer than when you started, if you don't drink enough water in conjunction with it. The rule for coffee is to drink three cups of water for every cup of coffee; it's probably safe to assume the same for pop.
well ive been drinking a lot of the new Mountain Dew lately which contains 121 mg of caffeine in every 20 oz bottle and ive been drinking 4 bottles or more a day and i havent had any signs of dehydration and i very very rarely drink water. could my body just somehow be naturally hydrated?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

Yes, anything that contains caffeine is dehydrating. You may not feel dehydrated because your body does not show signs of dehydration until you are severely dehyrdated. It's not very healthy for your body to be drinking so much soda and very little water. I would suggest cutting back to 1 or 2 a day and drinking a few glasses of water. You won't be able to see an immediate difference but the cells in your body rely on a certain amount of water in order to function properly and at the right pace. Drinking too little water can slow down your metabolism.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

I'm thinking no.

That's an awful lot of any kind of soda, but especially one like Mountain Dew, which is chock full of sugar and caffeine.

Dehydration has a lot of signs/symptoms, and just because you don't seem to feel it doesn't mean that it's not working insidiously in your body. It might be a good idea to cut back on the soda and drink a bit more water; juice is good, too (just check to make sure there isn't a ton of extra sugar added).

You'd be surprised at how much better you'll feel.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
(male)

HipsterDoofus HB User

No, it doesn't dehydrate you. This is an old myth that lives on by repetition. The newest research simply does not support this old myth. Even if the drink has caffeine, you retain some of the water. Caffeine is no more diuretic than drinking a lot of water. Someone who drinks caffeine regularly becomes tolerant to the mild diuretic effect of caffeine. Caffeinated beverages do not create the fluid-electolyte imbalance characteristic of dehydration.

I'm not saying it's healthy for you to be drinking so much of that product. But dehydration is not going to be a problem for you.

Last edited by HipsterDoofus; 08-22-2007 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
(female)

PinstripedBabe HB User

just a little side note...i've heard that out of ALL the sodas out there, Mountain Dew has THE MOST chemicals. I would just avoid the stuff alltogether

Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #8
(male)

Titanic Explore HB User

Don't know what pop is (other than someone's father), but i do know soda is- It will dry you out- I used to be a Diet coke addict, but was always thirsty-becuse the diet cokes left me dehydrated..

Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

It's not that drinking soda pop directly causes dehydration. But any chemical additive, preservative, or toxin will tend to cause dehydration. Here is why.

Anytime you are exposed to or consume something that is perceived by the liver as a toxin, it will work overtime to try to eliminate it from the body. This includes sending signals to the kidneys to increase urination. If you continue to replenish your fluids with more "toxic" substances you your liver and kidneys will constantly be in an detoxification cycle.

If you aren't willing to give up the MD (or similar beverages), then at least drink SOME water to assist your liver and kidneys and try to stay hydrated.

Closed Thread