It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
(male)

BReink HB User
What kind of butter is really healthy for you?

I can't figure out what kind of butter is the best for the body while still tasting good.

Arteries
From what I understand anything non-hydrogenated (I think thats how you spell it) is really good for you, or butter made with olive oil.

Fat
What makes a good butter good? Is anything low fat ok to eat?

I right now am eating Country Crocks with Calcium, and I also like the "I cant believe its not butter" but apparently that is still bad because it is hydrogenated.

What do you use and find taste wise enjoyable? Thanks in advance for any recommendations or insight.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: What kind of butter is really healthy for you?

I use tub margarine--and I spread it thin, so I don't add too many calories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

Flora is my favourite - it has poly and mono unsaturated fats in which are a healthy kind of fat, plus it tastes good!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

When you say "butter", do I assume you are referring to the real thing? Or are you using the term to cover any kind of spread? Because they definitely are NOT anywhere near the same thing!

Butter is a whole, natural dairy product made from whole cream. Strictly speaking, margarine is generally made from hydrogenated vegetable fats, in some form or another.

You could (I'm told) leave commercial margarine out on the counter and it would not spoil for extended amounts of time. At least I've seen people do that years ago when I was younger.

I don't bring margarine or similar spreads in any form into my house, reading the labels is enough to make me run, and use butter as a spread, in modest quantities.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
(male)

BReink HB User

Good call, when referring to butter I mean butter or margarine.

Quote:
Strictly speaking, margarine is generally made from hydrogenated vegetable fats, in some form or another.
Ok that answer my question exactly. And anything hydrogenated is what is really bad for your arteries if I am correct.

So really the answer is whatever "spread" I utilize should be non-hydrogenated and low fat. Those two bases together would make for a healthy spread overall.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

I can't recall the name of it, but there is a spread made of pure butter and olive oil, to help make it spread easier. That, to me, is just about the best spread you can use, healthwise.

I just use plain butter, simply because I believe your body needs some of it, it tastes good as well. It's not like I eat loads of it each day. It's a fat yes, but a good fat.

So, you don't HAVE to choose low fat.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I eat butter on wheat toast often, because it is a great filler for me, especially when I am hungery and feeling weak or dizzy from low sugar. Do not use margarine. It was developed for thr troops during the world war because it would keep and it was cheap to make for them. It is not healthy and has some crazy tovix chemicals, etc in it. You can research it and find out the information. I personally use Land O Lakes brand of butter, but I am still looking to upgrade to a better butter. It is better to stick to real butter and nothing else.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
(female)

Alexandra321 HB User

Personally, I think butter is a healthier choice. It comes from cream and usually all that is added is salt. It is a saturated fat, but your body recognizes it, and is able to digest it properly unlike trans fats.

Margarine on the other hand, is made from oils and chemicals. It doesn't even taste like butter at all. It also has hydrogenated oils which are worse than saturated fats.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
(male)

BReink HB User

Quote:
I can't recall the name of it, but there is a spread made of pure butter and olive oil, to help make it spread easier. That, to me, is just about the best spread you can use, healthwise.
I would be interested to know what that kind is called.

From all the above next time around I am going to go with a real butter and try to look for non-hydrogenated or butter made from olive oil.

Awesome tips.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
(female)

ILuvPurple HB User

I use Promise light. It has no hydrogenated oils and is low in calories and tastes great.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #11
(male)

svt65 HB User

Your body needs absolutely zero cholesterol, or dairy products for that matter (however that part is an opinion).

Anyways you can buy organic/vegan/all natural (nothing hydrogenated) veggie oil spreads at publix and most other grocery stores, just look for it. No cholesterol, 100% organic, like 80% vegetable oil, hell most of them even have omega3's enriched into them.

These are wayyy better than *margarine* (which does have a lot of bad stuff in it) or cow puss (butter).

-svt

Closed Thread