It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
(female)

meow3710 HB User
Question Red meat as a sedative

I'm not a huge red meat eater, maybe once or twice a month, but whenever I do eat it, I become absolutely exhausted and literally need to lie down and nap.

It's not really a major problem as I don't eat it often, but does anyone know the reason for this sedative effect?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Red meat as a sedative

It could just be that meat is a lot of work to digest, especially if you don't eat it often. Any other ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

dancing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow3710 View Post
I'm not a huge red meat eater, maybe once or twice a month, but whenever I do eat it, I become absolutely exhausted and literally need to lie down and nap.

It's not really a major problem as I don't eat it often, but does anyone know the reason for this sedative effect?

I don't eat meat ever and haven't for over 20 years; but with that said, the meat you eat may not be the problem or not the whole problem. I food combine, which means I don't eat carbs with protein together, and eat fruit by itself at least 30 minutes prior to eating anything else, as it digest quickly. If you're mixing carbs and protein (meat) together and possibly throwing fruit in the mix, only one will digest at best, as they take different digestive juices, and if both are ingested at one meal, one will ferment. My point is, eating meat shouldn't act as a sedative, but the combination of whatever else you're eating could be too much for your system. Also, meat can take up to two or three days to digest depending on what type of meat and how much, and how it is chewed (should be mush....LOL).

Old 01-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

Pat007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow3710 View Post

I will eat red meat in the form of extra lean 93/7 ground beef probably once or twice a month only to get some of the proteins. (I do take B vitimains) I usually eat it with a salad of spinach and nothing else.
I think it takes longer to digest. Years ago, I used to do steaks and I do believe it took 4-5 days to digest. I felt sluggish and many times my stomach would hurt during the digesting process.
I try to eat my allowance of fish, fresh white chicken & turkey, but I prefer mostly veggies only. Much easier to digest and I just feel better.

Last edited by Pat007; 01-04-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

Even lean red meat has a good amount of fat in it. A high fat meal can absolutely make you tired. Also some meats such as turkey, have a high amount of triptophan,(a protein) which acts almost like a sedative.

Milk also has tryptophan- One reason some say, a warm glass of milk before bed will help you sleep.

Leea

Closed Thread