It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
(male)

frozey HB User
forty days of rice only?

Hi,

I am Catholic and Lent is approaching. I was wondering if it was possible for me to only eat rice for 40 days? Is this at all possible? I realize it may not be the greatest thing, but as long as i can safely do it i would like to

Thanks in advance

Old 02-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: forty days of rice only?

What kind of rice are you looking to eat? I heard of people eating rice to give their bodies time to detox. I would probably not eat only rice for 40 days. Your body requires certain vitamins and minerals to stay balanced and healthy. You could jeopardize your immune system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
(male)

jamz117 HB User

rice for forty days? your looking to go to the hospital bud. what does eating rice for forty days have to do with being catholic? your body is going to go catabolic if all you eat is rice....you need vegetables,and meats as well as the starches from rice to provide proper nutrients (vitamins minerals, protiens, essential fatty acids, carbohydrates) rice, fish, chicken and vegetables will get you through 40 days

Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree that you WILL be losing a lot of nutrients and I'm not so sure this will be safe. Brown rice of course would be better than white, but you are still missing out on quite a bit for 40 days. Is there a way you can do this but add a little something else to your diet and still make a change for lent? Maybe you can try giving up something else that is unhealthy. I always hear of people giving up something they love that isn't the best for them.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

Tara628 HB User
Exclamation Re: forty days of rice only?

This is a very bad idea, nutritionally. As mentioned in the previous posts, your body needs a balance of nutrients to function. The macronutrients- carbohydrates, fat, protein; and micronutrients- vitamins and minerals. There is a reason you have a "recommended daily amount" of each of these nutrients. You need them EVERY day to support the most basic functions of your body.

By eating only rice for 40 days, you are putting yourself at risk for significant malnutrition. In particular, you could induce a type of starvation called kwashiorkor, which is when the body is forced to live off of a non-protein diet. It is very unpleasant and very dangerous. You would also have numerous vitamin and mineral deficiencies with equally unpleasant consequences.

Please re-think this now and if you ever consider a significant dietary modification like this in the future, discuss it with your doctor AND a registered dietitian before you start.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Maplethorpe80 HB User

This definitely seems risky to me, but I'm not expert.

Closed Thread