It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

IndianaGirl28 HB User
addicted to aspartame! worse then sugar? What about splenda?

I put equal on everything! And alot of it!! I have heard alot that it makes you more hungry and triggers more cravings. I know alot of sugar is bad for you. But it almost seems like aspartame may be worse!! So is Splenda bad too? I am a sweet addict!! In the past those SF treats would help me stay on track. But over the years It seems aspartame no longer helps but makes me want to eat more like regular sugar does. So how does one get off this stuff. Will splenda make me crave more too??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: addicted to aspartame! worse then sugar? What about splenda?

None of the artificial sweeteners have ever given me cravings, given me headaches or health problems, or made me gain weight. Sugar actually gives me big ups and downs in my energy, so I try to not have a lot of it. I think most of these kinds of things are bad if you have too much of them, but some people notice cravings from aspartame. I really like Splenda and switched to it because I haven't heard anything bad about it. I've heard many studies say bad things about equal and sweet & low and things like that. I think Splenda tastes good anyway and I just have it in my coffee and that's about the only time! I'd give it a try!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
(male)

BadFaith HB User

A part of aspartame breaks down in the body as formic acid and formaldehyde.

Formaldehyde is a pickling agent and a neurotoxin. How it passed FDA safety standards is beyond belief.

The tastes and cravings are based partially on how the palate responds to the flavors of the present moment. In other words given time and bearing through an adjustment period your taste for certain foods can change with exposure and initial willpower.

Drink plenty of water and start steering clear of the diet sodas which have shown to not only to be ineffective in curbing weight loss but also classed in the family of borderline unhealthy additives such as MSG.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

BadFaith, what are your thoughts on Splenda? I have made the switch from other sweeteners to splenda to use sparingly for coffee and haven't had anything happen with it. I just use it in moderation. Also, there are recipes out there where you can use splenda in place of sugar to cut calories... what about this?

I would like to look into the natural, sugar free sodas that you can buy at places like Whole Foods. I wonder what kinds of sweeteners are used and if it's a much better choice or not really. I enjoy my diet sodas and actually don't like regular soda. Diet sodas have actually helped me lose weight because if I'm craving a snack, a diet soda with zero calories often is enough for me!

Old 05-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
(female)

uma_anne HB User

My understanding is that splenda contains chlorine, and that the FDA determined small amounts of Splenda can be absorbed by the body.

When it first came out I also used it a lot, until I noticed that my stomach became dreadfully upset every time I consumed anything contain Splenda. So I quit.

I think the sodas in Whole Foods contain Stevia, an herbal sweetner. Don't know if Sevia's entirely risk free but I bet it's a better alternative to artificial sweetners.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

I agree that staying away from aspartame is best. I read an article on splenda that talked about it not being good so I quit using it. But so far the Stevia is a good alternative. Also when baking I use Agave Nector and it has worked out wonderfully.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

After reading many articles and research on artificial sweeteners, most claims are not definite about the harmful effects. Of course if you have way too much, I'm sure the claims are true! I recently looked into a study showing that up to 10 cans of diet soda (or a similar amount of articial sweetener) is safe for the body and has not shown any harmful effects. Of course, I wouldn't recommend having THAT much! 10 cans is quite a bit and some people say they get cravings for more sweets from them (I don't).

I think the best thing is to have whatever you prefer in moderation. I like to try to stick with natural sweets like fruit. I try to keep any candies or goodies to a minimum anyway and I feel fine! I do chew sugar free gum and refuse to switch over to regular sugared gum because after you stop chewing it, you are left with a sugary residue. I just have a couple pieces a day and just brush my teeth if I'm at home, so I'm sure that's okay!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

In regards to the 10 cans of soda a day, I would be willing to bet that the study was put on by a soda company. That much artificial sweetener can cause headaches for one thing. IMO anyways

Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I don't know if 10 cans a day, every day, are safe, but no one has creditable evidence of harm from splenda, nutrasweet, or aspartame at the kinds of quantities most people eat.

As for the sugar alcohols, sorbitol is ok up to 10 grams per day in most adults, at 10-70 grams per day (depending on your sensitivity), you get diarrhea. Xylitol has one definite health benefit linked to it: Chewing gum with xylitol prevents cavities by making it harder for bacteria to stick to teeth.

A little bit of artificially sweetened food is ok, in my opinion, but don't go nuts just because it's sugar-free.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I C Hot View Post
In regards to the 10 cans of soda a day, I would be willing to bet that the study was put on by a soda company. That much artificial sweetener can cause headaches for one thing. IMO anyways
No it was done by a health university, but of course I wouldn't recommend drinking all that much anyway!

I know if I have that much SUGAR I'll get a headache! I'm very sensitive to sugar and get migraines.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am still shocked that you are able to take in Aspartame and any artificial sweetners. When I have just one packet of aspartame (splenda, nutrasweet etc...) I feel very ill. My beautician made me a coffee a few months ago when I was getting my hair done. I said put just a little creme and sugar in and trusted her to do so. She didn't think anything about asking me if I was allergic to artificial sweetners. By the time I left I was feeling ill, and when I got home I had a very bad headache. It was just terrible! I called the salon and asked the lady on the phone to ask her what she had put in my coffee. Sure enough it was Splenda. It makes me very ill!

I would rather had regular sugar for safety reasons. It is not poisoness. I want to eat as close to organic as I can. I would suggest natural sugar before the artificial. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, it's funny because I'm completely backwards! I guess that just shows that everybody has way different sensitivities to foods and products!

Old 06-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #13
(female)

theboysroom HB User

You are totally right badfaith. I have been telling people this for years! I used to work in a healthy wrap resturant that served absoloutly no artifically sweetened beverages and people used to FREAK. I used to explain to people why.. the dangers and what it causes. I had a diabetic lady come in once, and she was so ****** and asked why- so I told her- turns into formaldehyde ect ect brain tumors and such. She called my boss and complained haha she was the one who asked me!

My boss just laughed with me, like lady we are the ones who wont sell the stuff, you think my boss will care that you think you NEED it just because your diabetic? Last time I checked, WATER was the perfect drink for diabetics and everyone on earth! Now if only we stopped using good water to make these horrable horrable drinks in plastic bottles the world would be in a better place and have much more drinkable water !

If I even have some gum- which all gum has aspartame these days- I get a headache.

Oh and PS: Aspartame was invented by guy trying to find a cure for ulcers, when he got some power on his glove and later on his hand which he licked and found to be very sweet. It breaks down in high temps, which is why it is not used in baking and is no longer sweet. ( Your mouth is hotter then it needs to break down, which is why it has that nasty aftertaste) Anywho, the FDA turned it down for years because there was no research backing its safty. Only after a collegue of the inventor got hired onto the FDA BOARD did he finally sway them into giving it a pass.

And then Splenda, sweet sweet splenda.. the lies!!!!

Ok: They claim that it is safe because it is made "from sugar" (which is NOT that safe in the first place!) however its chemical structure is very different from that of sugar and sucralose is actually a chemical substance.. Sucralose (splenda) is made from sucrose (sugar) by substituting three atoms of chlorine for three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sucrose molecule. Sucralose is significantly absorbed and metabolized by the body- The absorbed sucralose has been found to concentrate in the liver, kidney, and gastrointestinal tract.

Pretty scary stuff!

Last edited by theboysroom; 06-08-2008 at 03:34 AM.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
(female)

szqsk8 HB User

All artificial sweeteners (Splenda, Aspartame, etc.) are bad for the body and consuming as little as possible is always better. I have totally cut out sodas completely and my husband is down to only one per day and we both feel better. I think those sweeteners cause fluid retention in a lot of us. In my local newspaper they had an article about a sweetener called Z Sweet No Calorie Sweetener. It pretty much looks and feels like sugar and tastes sweet with NO aftertaste. I get mine at a natural foods store <removed>. Type 2 Diabetics can use it <removed>.

When I use artificial sweeteners I always end up with intestinal issues and I am sure a lot of others do as well. Look at the back of the bag of any sugarless candy and if it contains Sorbitol it warns it could have a "laxative effect", don't want that! I can't even drink Crystal Light because it gives me a headache/migraine.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-28-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Closed Thread