It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
(female)

leilani3202 HB User
bread causing bloat

so i cut bread out of my diet, i started wrapping sandwiches in lettuce, not eating my toast in the morning and its been great as far the bloating goes. im not as bloated as i used to be, less gassy, etc. only problem now is, i want my bread back!! am i doomed to get bloated and gassy forever, or is there something i can take/do to stop it? my bf made a breakfast burrito this morning and i ate it cuz he flipped out when i said i wouldnt at first due to the tortilla. i was fine after eating that. then we went to subway for dinner and my stomach has just been turning since i ate that. i feel bloated and my stomach is making crazy noises!! i cant possibly go my whole life without eating bread, but this feeling sucks!! im surprised ive been able to go a week at a time without bread...help!!

Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
(female)

theboysroom HB User
Re: bread causing bloat

Hi, I am surpised this board is so slow! I beleive you are going through what I recently went through. I found out I was gluten intolerant as well, no other way to know besides the elimination test- which you have done.. I have been trying out different grains, I was told ancient grains were significanly lower in gluten then wheat so I found I love kamut bread.. You can also find ancient grain wraps too. Rice flour makes good pasta. Check out your local organic stores and specilty bakerys. It might take a few types to find out what you like.

I do miss subway a heck of a lot! The thing is that even deli meats are so heavily processed they usually contain wheat as a filler, so now I buy those roasted chickens and cut off the meat thinly and use that in my kamut sandwich. Rice cakes are great too, I spread with natural almond butter ( no added salt) and tastes great.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

leilani3202,

Yes, bread is a handy thing to have, and it was one of the things I missed when I started eating gluten-free. Theboysroom has some good suggestions. You will need to scope out some locations in your town where they have gluten-free options. You may or may not be able to use some of the ancient grains that she recommends (kamut, dinkel, einkorn, etc) -- they do indeed have less gluten than modern wheat, but they are still older relatives of wheat. You'll have to experiment and see what works for you.

Another option is to learn to bake your own bread. Betty Hagman (I think is the spelling) has written some books on baking with gluten-free ingredients. There are lots of different "grains" that are gluten-free (buckwheat, millet, quinoa, amaranth, rice, corn, soy, etc). They all taste different, and it might be fun to see which ones you like and which ones you would rather not use. Baking with gluten-free flours requires different techniques than baking with wheat, so getting a book or two with suggestions can help you get started. I slice my bread and store it in the freezer, so that I can take out just what I need for the day, and pop it into the toaster.

Try 100% corn tortillas for your wraps. They are tasty and work just as well as the wheaty ones.

Eating gluten-free is an adventure -- but it has two great advantages. One, I am healthier and I no longer suffer painful acid indigestion. Two, I have had the chance to try some flours that I would never have tried when wheat was a major part of my diet. I have discovered that I particularly like buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, and corn. I am not so fond of soy and millet. Here's your chance to find out what you enjoy!

--Rheanna

Old 06-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I am a big fan of Ezekiel bread! I was worried it would be expensive since I don't have a ton of money, but it was only a little bit more and I LOVE it. It's gluten-free as well and flourless. I actually feel satisfied when I have ONE piece. With other bread, I would probably want more. I will fix myself a nice piece of toast or make an open-faced sandwich and I find it's more filling too. They also make great wraps and "prophet's bread" which is like a small pita.

I'd try some of these alternative kinds of bread! I'm sure there are a lot of good ones. I get mine in the freezer section at my grocery store. They have a little area with specialty breads. You can also find them at Whole Foods.

Oh goodness... this reminds me of the other day. I stopped eating pasta and had some whole wheat pasta one day (just a little bit) and was perfectly find. I thought maybe I could have it a couple times a week or so. Last night I had some (still a small serving) and felt horrible! I'm scared to eat it ever again. I had gas trapped in my upper chest area that was very painful... like you have to burp but you can't! I find that taking Tums helps, but it still goes away very slowly!

Closed Thread