It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

sophitia HB User
Please read!! Really want to eat better, always thinking about food. Help!!

Before I get to the point of the post, I just want to say that I'm not overweight. But my dilemma is that food is ALWAYS on my mind. Whether or not to eat certain things. How many times I should eat each day. I'm always torturing myself, for example- I always want to start on a clean slate but I keep failing. So instead of eating one chocolate bar, I end up eating 3. I just did that a few minutes ago. Sometimes I wish I could hate eating chocolate. Sometimes I hate food because it always on my mind, taking over my thoughts. Now I don't want to get fat but I know if I keep eating the way I do, it may happen. I don't like the word 'diet'. It makes me think of those skinny models who eat lettuce. I know I would feel better emotionally if I ate right. I guess what I'm asking for is this- any suggestions for eating better? Here are things I like to eat- chocolate ( obviously!), cheese, curries, potato wedges with chili sauce. I really don't like fruit but I do like vegetables. I'm so afraid to be told that I can't have ANY of the above & must only have salads. Now I can eat salads but not everyday of the week. Is there any food plan I could try that doesn't involve eating fruit but can include times for the 'bad things'?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Please read!! Really want to eat better, always thinking about food. Help!!

Just eating salads is not healthy, you need calories and protein.

Curry with vegetables, meats and rice is usually healthy, unless you use an enormous amount of meat or coconut and very little vegetables. I usually eat rice with stir-fry veggies and a little meat on top, that's my dinner most nights.

What do you like for breakfast? Lunch? There are a lot of ways to eat healthy, surely there's some you'll enjoy.

One way to curb your snacking on less healthy foods without ruling them out entirely is to just let yourself have a reasonable size dessert after dinner every day, one chocolate bar, or piece of cake, or whatever. If your stomach is full of dinner, you might not be so tempted to eat a lot of it.

If you are at a healthy weight right now, there's no need to guilt yourself out over food. Eating healthy is something that should make your life better, not be a source of stress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

sophitia,

janewhite1 has some wonderful suggestions. Listen to the wise jane.

Here are a couple of thoughts from me:

If you're looking for some structure in learning about good nutrition, you might check out the DASH Diet, which you can find in a book at your library or bookstore or online at the government NIH website
[url]http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/h_eating/h_eating.htm[/url]

No, you don't have to restrict yurself to eating salads. By learning about healthy food groups, you can learn to incorporate your favorite foods into a healthy diet.

If you want some "food for thought" about what triggers us to eat so much, I recommend the book "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink, Ph.D.

Basically, food is nutrition for our bodies. Period. But we humans attach lots of emotional associations to foods. If we are using food in an attempt to meet some emotional needs or avoid some emotional pain, then it becomes a lot easier to eat the food than to face whatever we're avoiding or to go out and find other ways to meet our emotional needs. You might find it helpful to try to sort out these extra associations you've attached to food. Some options:

You can try journalling -- write down what you eat every day and what you are feeling and thinking before and after you eat. After a while you might see a pattern, and once you figure out what's triggering you, you can look for other ways besides food to get your needs met.

You can go for a few visits to a cognitive therapist, where you can bounce some associations and concerns off of someone who's trained to help you look at things from other points of view.

Or -- How about taking a cooking class or two at your local adult education center or junior college? You can transfer your unhealthy "obsession" into a healthy "hobby". This way you spend just as much time thinking about food, but you can do it in a much healthier way.

--Rheanna

Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

bakingnut HB User

Hi Sophitia,

I could have written your post word for word. I am not over weight either, but I have finished off 3 Dove bars today and have one hiding in my purse. I LOVE chocolate, but I am guessing that there is an emotional component with both of us. I would love to talk with you more as I have been struggling with this for years.

Sue

Old 06-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

People say I'm an unlucky person because I get migraines from chocolate, but in a way I consider myself lucky so I don't ever want chocolate! Of course, I crave other bad stuff at times!

What I like to do is set aside a day each week to eat foods that aren't good for me so it's something to look forward to. I actually cut out a lot of bad foods and eat similar things, only made healthier. Now when I eat something fried, I really feel slowed down that day and feel sluggish, so it makes me want them less. I've made simple changes like not eating many white carb and sticking to whole wheat. I make these great sweet potato fries that I enjoy just as much (if not more- since I don't feel guilty) than regular fries. I love hamburgers, so I'll make my own at home with lean meat and grill them for a healthy, low fat burger.

Don't make yourself eat things you don't enjoy! Try to eat the healthy things you DO like and just eat the not-so-good things in smaller portions or less often. Don't cut them all out or you'll just feel bad about it and crave them even more.

For the chocolate, I know people who eat a few miniatures each day as a dessert, but not everybody will stop at just a couple of those! This may be a little more inconvenient, but maybe you can only buy one at a time or only a few at a time and convince yourself you need to save one for the next day or you will have NONE. Once I even wrote my own self a little sticky note on some candy saying it was for a certain day since I already had some. Surprisingly enough, it worked!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
(female)

sophitia HB User

Thanks for your replies

I haven't had tons of chocolate the last few days, which I'm happy about. I did have one of these belgian chocolate brownies from McDonalds yesterday but I rarely go to McDonalds.

Last week I gave it some serious thought about the food I used to eat & decided I need to broaden out in my tastes. For the last few months my husband has been working as a driver for a takeaway so it's been TOO easy to fall into a trap of eating those tasty fried foods. And then there is that chocolate addiction. Anyway, I realised that I haven't been eating much cheese lately so I bought some last week & a jar of gherkins ( I eat them at the same time & no I'm not preggers!)

I'm trying to limit myself to just one takeaway per week. And my husband told me to try to be strict with myself for 5 days then for 2 days I can be a little bit bad & eat what I want. I'm also exercising more to keep myself fit & healthy.

Unfortunately I have a problem of limiting myself to a few chocolates. My grandmother used to get a bag of Hershey's miniature chocolates & I could never just have 4. Four became 8, 8 became 12......

Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
(female)

sophitia HB User

Here's an update on my progress. I'm happy to say that I haven't been living on chocolate bars & I'm still improving in trying to eat different things. I decided to eat snacks that have chocolate so I can satisfy my cravings but I don't do this everyday. I've also been cutting way way down on the fried foods. As a result I've lost a bit of weight & I was overjoyed to be able to fit into a skirt that had been too tight on me months ago. I'm also making sure that I eat when I'm really hungry ( not always easy to do but the effort is worthwhile). So usually I have one really big meal but then I have little meals ( I'm a snacker.)

I'm going away on holiday for a week so I'll definitely be having 2 decent meals a day which includes a dessert so really I won't be starving to death. Plus I'll be doing LOTS of walking to keep fit.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Nice job. It really sounds like you are changing your eating habits for the better.

Closed Thread