It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
(male)

organicdrop HB User
Lose 80 pounds in 6 months by only eating McDonald's?

Did anyone else hear about this? I saw it on CNN. He's been all over the TV too. Can't believe he actually lost the weight. What a turn for McDonald's after that film Supersize Me.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-24-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: posted commercial website - please read the FAQs and the Posting Policy

Old 06-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Lose 80 pounds in 6 months by only eating McDonald's?

Of course it's possible, but please keep in mind that no matter what and where you eat the only safe way to lose weight is to eat less and move more. A weight loss diet should ideally contain a certain number of calories from fruits and veggies, too (which can be difficult to achieve at a fast food joint).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
(male)

Lukelyus HB User

If you ate the same thing constantly for a long period of time you'd start to loose weight! That goes for anything really. If you started to eat nothing but chocolate, you'd loose out on other things and you'd notice you start to loose weight.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

He lost weight because he was eating mostly salads and the healthier options on the menu. He probably limited the salad dressing he put on his salads as well. If you were to eat all of those fried foods everyday you would not lose weight. I'm also guessing what he was eating was not a balanced diet.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
(male)

lneely HB User
Angry Re: Lose 80 pounds in 6 months by only eating McDonald's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicdrop View Post
Did anyone else hear about this? I saw it on CNN. He's been all over the TV too. Can't believe he actually lost the weight. What a turn for McDonald's after that film Supersize Me.
Silly media... *rolleyes*

This is a misleading title. He loses 80 pounds in 6 months by eating only McDonalds? That implies a causal relationship between his eating McDonalds and his weight loss, despite long-standing evidence to the contrary. Perhaps if they said "while" eating only McDonalds.

If I believed that over 90% of people actually read stories like these and understood them, I'd be a lot less picky. Since I don't believe that, to me that's not only misleading, but a slap in the face of this man who has worked so hard to keep a healthy diet for that six months and continues to do so. They practically took the credit away from him and gave it to an undeserving McDonalds right from the start!

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that he didn't eat two pound beef patties, he didn't drink a gallon of Coke, he didn't polish off a jumbo-extra-large bag of fries. What he did was exhibit an enormous amount of self control and discipline, and that was what caused the weight loss. He showed the world that with enough self control and mindfulness of what you eat, you can even eat at McDonalds and lose weight. When he lost enough of the weight, when it would be safe for him to do so, he even began exercising, and he said that they will be eating healthier at home after all of this. I must say that I really admire him for the whole thing, and I hope that he and people like him become a stronger influence in the world of weight loss.

Last edited by lneely; 07-01-2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Everybody makes mistakes. ;)

Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User

maybe he has digestive issues like I do? Whenever I eat mcdonalds or fast food I get sicker than hell and have diarrhea and don't really digest any of it. Comes out whole. LOL

Old 07-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Smile Re: Lose 80 pounds in 6 months by only eating McDonald's?

I agree with lneely -- the guy lost weight by being sensible about his food choices and portion sizes. The media loves to present everything in terms of heroes and bad guys, because that's what the public prefers to see. Nobody is interested in a story of a guy who eats sensible portions. How boring. But a story about the evil McDonald's Restaurant chain which should be ashamed of itself for making people fat -- now that's a story! That's why a film like "Supersize Me" can draw such attention. That guy didn't gain 30 pounds in a month and become ill because the evil McDonald's chain serves supersized meals. He gained that weight because he chose the supersized portions. And ate 'em all up! McDonald's is in the business to make money. If the vast majority of people were to insist on salads and fresh fruit and small portions, you can bet that McD's would change their menu and offer people whatever it took to make money.

McD's is not the "bad guy". We all have the opportunity to make choices at every meal regardless of where we are eating. If we frequently choose large portions heavy on the calories, and then eat every last morsel, then we will gain weight. If we regularly choose reasonable sized portions and throw some fruits and veggies into the mix, then we will be a healthy weight.

My two cents.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread