It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Is rice good for you?

I'm not on any kind of diet right now, but I have been eating basically nothing but rice (and some steamed veggies and the occasional frozen chicken pieces) for the last week. I really enjoy the taste, and I'm also trying to cut back on salty foods (due to elevated blood pressure). From what I know, rice has no fat, little sodium, and is full of carbs - sounds like a good diet food, but for the first time, I'm not trying to diet.

Are there any downsides to plain white rice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: Is rice good for you?

Brown rice would provide more fiber and nutrients, but other than this, I would say there are no major drawbacks to white rice. You are correct that rice has virtually no fat or sodium. 1/2cup provides 15gms carb.

I can think of alot worse things to eat than rice, so enjoy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
I'm not on any kind of diet right now, but I have been eating basically nothing but rice (and some steamed veggies and the occasional frozen chicken pieces) for the last week. I really enjoy the taste, and I'm also trying to cut back on salty foods (due to elevated blood pressure). From what I know, rice has no fat, little sodium, and is full of carbs - sounds like a good diet food, but for the first time, I'm not trying to diet.

Are there any downsides to plain white rice?
The fact that you asked the question, "Is rice good for you?", indicates to me that you're interested in eating a healthful diet. Whole grain rice is healthful in limited amounts (measured as 1/4 cup before cooking). What you decide to put on it may be another story.

>>>Are there any downsides to plain white rice?<<<

Yes, white rice has been processed and thereby robbed of fiber and nutrients.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-14-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I usually put sweet and sour sauce on my rice (which, shockingly, is not all that high in sodium, calories, or fat). I typically buy white rice just because it's cheaper. And, like I said before, sometimes I use steamed vegetables and bits of chicken.

I am interested in eating healthier, but jut not in dieting because that ends with me going crazy as I crave everything I shouldn't have. I don't feel all that deprived with what I currently eat.

Thanks for the information, though.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
(female)

littleshelly HB User

Plain white rice is a simple card. Go for brown, complex carb, much better for you.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree with giving brown rice a try. It's much more nutritious. When I'm trying to lose weight, I try to avoid carbs, like white rice and pasta, but I will eat brown rice in moderation. Too many processed carbs can make you feel bloated, but as long as you are eating vegetables and chicken, like you say, I'm sure you will be fine! Just make sure to have enough of those to have a well rounded diet. Lots are carbs are actually recommended for very active people, like runners. There are far worse things to eat and if it's steamed rice and not fried or anything, it's low in calories. I'd give the brown rice (or wild rice) a try and see if you like it! It's a bit better for you.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I'd just like to add some information that I neglected on my last post:

1) White rice is considered to be a high glycemic index food (not good for keeping insulin levels steady).

2) "Sweet and sour sauce" may add to the "high glycemic index" factor if it contains sugar or high fructose corn sweetener. At any rate, it represents putting a highly processed "food" on top of rice, which is another processed food.

There are other ways to enjoy rice, it's just a matter of retraining your taste. Try a small serving of whole grain rice with about one teaspoon (or less) of olive oil (after cooking) and salt to taste (go easy on the salt). Before adding the oil, cook the rice with some chopped garlic and pepper. Well, the point is to experiment until you get it the way you like it, while keeping it a whole food.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-31-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Added a few words to clarify.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
(female)

littleshelly HB User

Brown rice is a complex carb, white rice is a simple carb. It is best to limit simple and stick with complex.
Understanding Carbohydrates
People are confused with all of the low carb diets. We have been told that Carbohydrates are bad. This is not true. The human body needs carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are the main source of fuel for the body. We cannot live without them. Carbohydrates are digested by the body and converted to glucose (sugar) and used for energy. But there are different kinds of carbohydrates and understanding the difference between simple and complex carbohydrates is what is important. You want to limit your intake of simple carbohydrates and get the recommended daily allowance of complex carbohydrates. It is best to get most of your complex carbohydrates from fresh vegetables and some fruit.
The big difference between simple and complex carbohydrates is how the body handles them during the digestion process. Complex carbohydrates are digested slowly. The body works harder to process complex carbohydrates and glucose is released more slowly into the system which is better for the body. Your glucose levels stay at a more even keel. Most complex carbohydrates are naturally high in fiber. Diets high in fiber keep you full and satisfied longer so it just makes sense that if you eat a diet that includes more complex carbohydrates you will maintain a healthy weight because you will not be hungry again so quickly.
Simple carbohydrates are digested very fast releasing glucose very quickly which can cause glucose levels in the body to spike, which is not good. When this happens you may get a sudden burst of energy but come crashing down quickly. You will also be hungry again in a short time. Sudden spikes in glucose levels also promote weight gain and cause our bodies to store fat.
Complex Carbohydrates
Spinach
Whole Barley
Grapefruit
Turnip Greens
Buckwheat
Apples
Lettuce
Prunes
Oat bran bread
Apricots
Zucchini
Oatmeal
Pears
Asparagus
Oat bran
Strawberries
Okra
Wild rice
Oranges
Cabbage
Brown rice
Yams and Sweet potatoes
Celery
Multi-grain bread
Carrots
Cucumbers
Beans
Dill Pickles
Yogurt
Soybeans
Skim milk
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cauliflower
Peas
Tomatoes
Simple Carbohydrates
Table sugar
Corn syrup
Fruit juice
Cake
White bread
White pasta
Pop
Candy
All white flour products
Some cereals

Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
(female)

Porcelainedove HB User

First of all,that "no fat,no sodium" sweet and sour sauce is PURE SUGAR!;
anf guess what sugar is converted into in your body?? (it is stored as fat!).
also,where rice is concerned brown rice is the way to go if you are looking for a healthy option; it has a very nutritious outer layer and has a satisfiying,chewy texture and nutty flavour.
as the daughter of a diabetic,i learned alot about nutrition and the dangers of sugar!..to break it down easily,white rice may be very tasty and "light"; generally easier to chew and faster to cook than it's brown kin.
but the bottom line is: white rice is a simple carb that is turned into sugar immediately in your bloodstream. white rice is empty calories.
it has a high glycemic index,not all that filling and VERY starchy.

i eat it as a "treat" now and then if i am eating out..
but i steer clear of the white stuff when everyday good nutrition is concerned!.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Yeah that.(to the above post).

Last edited by Jess75; 11-09-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Can't quote from a quote...

Closed Thread