It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
(male)

campingfreak HB User
Question about lunch meat.

I eat a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread just about everyday. My question is. Is turkey lunch meat processed food and should I not be eating it. I run everymorning and watch what I eat all day. having trouble loosing fat around middle. could it be the turkey lunch meat? thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

ljenner831 HB User
Re: Question about lunch meat.

I am not an expert, but I doubt that your turkey lunch meat is causing you to not be able to lose weight around the middle. A good ole turkey sandwich is quite a healthy lunch (though I do check the sodium content on those lunch meats). What are the rest of your meals/snacks during your days?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
(male)

campingfreak HB User

Thanks for the response. For breakfast i'll eat maybe a yogurt or 2 scrambled or overlight eggs., rice cakes on occasion. Has to be something sorta portable because I usually eat it at work around 8:30. By the way I run in the morning around 5 a.m. For lunch of course my Turkey sandwich, and thats about it. Then in the afternoon i'll have some dry roasted peanuts, celery, carrots, broccoli,basically whatever raw veggies my wife buys that week, then i'll have an apple. Then when I get home i'll eat whatever my wife made for dinner, I do try very hard to watch my portions and usually skip desert. I try very hard not to snack in the evening but I do break down once in awhile but when I do I try to make it some triscuts or pretzels and not many at that. I am 5'5" and right now I weigh 140lbs. I also work out at home about 4 days a week so I am pretty muscular I just can not get rid of this fat gut what is up? I guess I should mention that over the past 2 years I have lost around 23 lbs. so believe me I look good compared to where I started but I am frustrated that I can't get rid of the rest of this layer of fat. any suggestions. Thanks

Old 11-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingfreak View Post
I eat a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread just about everyday. My question is. Is turkey lunch meat processed food and should I not be eating it. I run every morning and watch what I eat all day. having trouble loosing fat around middle. could it be the turkey lunch meat? thanks
The short answer is "yes". Most likely, your turkey lunch meat is a processed food and you shouldn't be eating it if you value your health. Almost any food that is potentially good for health can be ruined by processing and made to be unhealthful. There's a big difference between "whole turkey" and turkey that's been ground and formed. If it's been ground and formed, it could have almost anything in it, like you would expect with hot dogs (salt, high fructose corn sweetener, an excessive amount of fat, preservatives etc.). And if the turkey was grain fed, which is most likely the case, it no doubt is high in omega 6, which is known to cause inflamation.

Most likely the problem is not with any one food item alone. Look at the ingredients of your bread. Does it contain high fructose corn sweetener? And what else? Do you add some kind of dressing in your sandwich? Does the dressing contain sodium and sweeteners?

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-01-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added a few words to make certain points clearer.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

the Deli type of turkey seems to be OK.. Less processing. But of course whole fresh baked turkey is best. And, if it is organic is better. But, how far do you want to go??

I have eaten deli turkey for years -- but no turkey lunch meat-- too much processing.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
(female)

littleshelly HB User

Too much sodium in deli meat. Processing is not good. Make your own. But a turkey breast, roast it and slice it up.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Conventional deli meat has nitrates and nitrates are a cancer causing agent(consuming it increases your risk, doesn't mean you'll definitely get it so don't get me wrong). If you eat it often, go organic you won't regret it.
If your worried about sodium, exercise, drink lots of water and eat foods high in potassium...potassium and sodium work hand in hand somehow. I know this isn't what you want to hear but nitrates are horrible for the body.

Last edited by Jess75; 11-08-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Closed Thread