It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
(male)

Pboy HB User
Are "extracts" (pill form) as healthy as juices/teas?

is taking green tea extract as healthy as drinking green tea?

is pomegranate extract as healthy as pomegranate juice?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Are "extracts" (pill form) as healthy as juices/teas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pboy View Post
is taking green tea extract as healthy as drinking green tea?

is pomegranate extract as healthy as pomegranate juice?
Supplements are not tested by the FDA for quality or content. I have read that independent labs have found some supplements to contain as little as "0" of the contents claimed on the label and as much as 500% more than that claimed on the label. About 25% of supplements had too much or too little and some even had the wrong ingredients and/or contaminants/metals.

There's a new book that deals with this subject. The title is: "Natural Causes: Death, Lies and Politics in America's Vitamin and Herbal Supplement Industry" by Dan Hurley.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-08-2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: To give the complete title of the recommended book.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
(female)

diabeticpumper HB User

Another good rule of thumb to keep in mind....if its manufactured, it will have chemicals because it has been man made and added chemicals to give the product shelf life, color and flavor. Our bodies, although we have been exposed for many years now, is not designed for foreign ingrediants. Thus said, natural and organic is optimal for your body to work on the food at it's best. And for those chemicals, our bodies cant break them down or digest them, so they tend to collect inside us, mainly in our colon track. For vitamins in general, most are pooped out in the original form they were swallowed in!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I take a multi, calcium suppliment + vitamin D, and a fish oil capsule daily. If these aren't being absorbed in their pill form, is there another way I can get these vitamins?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

The manufacturing process of supplements (especially for plant extracts) may be sometimes producing products with more or less of the labeled ingredients, as JohnR41 correctly points out.

But to me what is more important is that whatever the manufacturers are extracting from the plant material (in this case green tea and pomegranate) is only a part of what makes the plant healthy for us. There are so many ingredients in plant materials, and nutritionists see that these plants have obvious benefits. We read that folks who drink green tea and who eat pomegranates or drink pomegranate juice are healthier than those who don't.

So along come the manufacturers, who look for the one or two "most active" ingredients in these plants, extract them, and put them into a pill or capsule. All the other nutritional ingredients are left behind, and we are led to believe that these stripped ingredients are the same as drinking all the ingredients in a cuppa tea or a glass of juice. My own "humble" opinion is that capsules are not the same as the "real thing".

As for vitamins and minerals, I do take specific ones myself, including Vitamin D3, which has saved me from suicide since I don't get much sun up here in the grey dreary north of Germany. It is possible to overdose on vitamin and mineral supplements (they don't just get "pooped out in the original form they were swallowed in"), so one must be careful about which ones one chooses to take, and in what combinations.

Much better is to eat lots of veggies and moderate amounts of whole grains and beans and lentils, and even drink real green tea and pomegranate juice, so that we get our vitamins and minerals and other nutritional stuff in a delicious, fiber-filled diet.

These are just my opinions, after lots of reading and seeing how things work in my own body. "Your mileage may vary" as they say.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread