It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

Skyfox111 HB User
My dad eats raw garlic cloves...

My dad eats raw garlic cloves and it is killing us!!!!!!! We cannot stand to be near him...neither can anyone else. It seems to drip off of him and makes whatever room he is in reek...our entire house reeks and so does our car. If he is in a room for more than a few minutes the entire room smells for days.
Is there anything he can do, besides stopping the garlic, to minimize this effect?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
(female)

Porcelainedove HB User
Re: My dad eats raw garlic cloves...

There is odorless garlic pills he can take if he wants the benefits without the smell.
(don't worry,i have been in the same boat as you when i added a bit too much garlic powder to the pasta i cooked for me and my brother; i was complaining in the car:P.

the odorless garlic pills can be found in walmart even,they aren't expensive and have all the benefits without the "garlic breath".

goodluck!.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
(male)

FitnessJunkie12 HB User

That's actually REALLY REALLY good for you LOL! Geez I havent heard this in a long time someone actually doing this in practice.

I normally steam and cook them a bit... however if you can do that man, you got it made with the heathful benefits of garlic. It's simply unbeatable. They say garlic is so good and only in this form is it the most powerful you can derive its treasures. Is it nasty? Yeah sure but hey, health is first sometimes LOL

Rick!

Last edited by FitnessJunkie12; 11-07-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessJunkie12 View Post
That's actually REALLY REALLY good for you LOL! Geez I havent heard this in a long time someone actually doing this in practice.

I normally steam and cook them a bit... however if you can do that man, you got it made with the heathful benefits of garlic. It's simply unbeatable. They say garlic is so good and only in this form is it the most powerful you can derive its treasures. Is it nasty? Yeah sure but hey, health is first sometimes LOL

Rick!
I tried eating raw garlic several years ago but stopped because it burned the inside of my mouth. I figured that eating raw garlic can't be all that healthful if it's strong enough to burn. Back then I had a booklet telling about all the wonderful benefits of garlic. It made it seem like a miricle food. But now, years later, I think it's possible to be over-sold. While cooked garlic can be a great addition to soups, for example, it's not the only worthwhile health food. There are the many cruciferous vegetables that help to prevent cancer. And there are dark leafy greens of all kinds.

But I do value garlic highly and use about 2 cloves per day in my cooking. I'm just not sure if it's any more special than lots of other healthful plant-foods.

I normally have low blood pressure whether I eat garlic or not. That being the case, I have to be careful not to eat garlic too close to bedtime, otherwise my blood pressure will go too low and I'll wake up dizzy. So garlic might be good for those who have high blood pressure.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-08-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Adding information about blood pressure.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
(female)

Porcelainedove HB User

Me too JohnR41! i used to eat raw garlic too:P but the pain was excruciating
for me,also it really made my breath reek .
garlic is an awesome food,i personally cook with LOADS of it;
i would also suggest steaming or boiling it till soft (although this may destroy some of the benefits,as boiling tends to do to vegetation; it will help with the odor.)

blessings-PD.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

PD, here's something you and others might try. I don't do this very often, just once in a while. Take a small dessert cup (microwave safe) and put about one inch of water in it. Then put one or more cloves of garlic in the water (unpeeled). Hit the microwave button for veggies and let it go through that cycle. After cooling, it's easy to peel and tastes great (a little chewy).

George Burns: "I like eggs because they're so versatile..... It's amazing all the things you can do with an egg after the chicken gets through with it." :-)

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-13-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: To correct spelling

Closed Thread