It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
(female)

cindyla51 HB User
Barley Grass on a diet

Hi, I'm thinking of using Barley Grass as part of my diet as I've been told good things about it. My question is, should I use it as extra in my diet, or do people use it as a meal replacement?

I've also heard there's normal Wheatgrass and young Barley grass, does anyone know the difference?

<removed>

Does anyone know anything about if Melrose is the best or a good brand?

Thank you

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-07-2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Barley Grass on a diet

Wheatgrass will grow up to be wheat. Barley grass is barley, they are different plants.

I've heard some very excessive health claims made about both products, mainly from people selling them, and I doubt they are all true.

However, pretty much any green leaves are low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals, with fiber to fill you up. So, they are probably a good food for weight loss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Barley Grass on a diet

There are already so many healthy vegetables being sold in regular supermarkets and many people don't take full advantage of them. But certain food items like cabbage or Brussells Sprouts are not very glamorous because they are not marketed as super healing foods.

As far as using Barley Grass as a meal replacement, I don't think that's a good idea. Where's the protein? Where's the nutritional balance?

I occasionally use Barley in my cooking when I make soups but it's not Barley grass. Then I also include vegetables like Bok Choy, cabbage, Brussells Sprouts, Italian squash, broccoli, garlic, onion and beans or lentils. I would suggest taking advantage of all these common items first before looking for something else that supermarkets don't usually carry.

Anyway, if you're on a diet, what you need is a ton of fiber. And all the items I mentioned above are loaded with fiber, especially the beans and lentils. Good luck.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-17-2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Addional idea and spelling

Closed Thread