It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

Phi HB User
Exclamation Eating a lot of Splenda. How worried should I be?

Hello, everybody.

Okay, here goes. I've been eating Splenda for a while, probably ever since it was released. Sometimes, I eat about 5-10 packets a day for about a months, sometimes no packets, and other times...more than 300-400 packets a day for a month for more.

I think in about a year, I would eat about 12-15 boxes of the 1000 packet boxes of Splenda a year (700 boxes before they even had the 1000 packet box). So far, the only major problems I've had with it were abdominal cramps.

As for my weight, it doesn't seem to make me gain weight, though I do tend to lose weight when I eat very little of it or none at all. I'm not overweight, though losing a few pounds would be nice. I run about 6 miles a day, 6-7 days a week.

I just love eating a lot of Splenda, simply because I love to eat a lot of sweet stuff, and it makes me feel better to eat that than eating plain sugar all the time.

Here's the things I make when I eat Splenda in something besides coffee (which is only like 2-3 packets. Funny thing is that I actually prefer coffee black, most of the time).
- Cocoa powder mixed with 20-50 packets of Splenda.
- Cinnamon mixed with about 20 packets of Splenda.
- Dry Kool-Aid mixed with as many packets of Splenda until the tartness of Kool-Aid is about as mild as a tangerine.

I would have the above concoctions throughout the day, until I eat about 300-400 packets or more of Splenda.

Sometimes, I even pour a few packets of it in my mouth.

I'm just wondering, how worried should I be about this? I know it might seem like a dumb question, but the only problems I ever had over the years were abdominal pain. I think I might have felt a bit tired a few times, but that's about it.

Last edited by Phi; 01-18-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Eating a lot of Splenda. How worried should I be?

Just out of curiosity, have you lost any patches of hair while eating Splenda?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
(female)

Phi HB User

Nope, haven't lost any patches of hair. The amounts of hair that I lose a day has been about the same for most of my life.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Am I reading that correctly??? 300-400 packets of Splenda A DAY?!?!? I'm not a doctor, expert, or anything for that matter...BUT, that amount of artificial sweetener can NOT be healthy. I can totally understand having a few packets with coffee or tea or such...but 300-400 in ONE DAY does seem excessive to me. I admit that I will occassionally have something sweetened with Splenda, but I try to not make a habit of it...simply because of all the negative things I've read about artificial sweeteners in general. Take some time and read a few of the studies out there on this stuff, and you might start reconsidering the amount of Splenda you're consuming.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

There were some recent studies that found that diet soda with artificial sweeteners was correlated with increased fatness.

There was some speculation that the sweetness made the body expect calories, and when the calories did not come, the person got hungrier and ate more. Or that people just felt that they could eat more because they were not taking any calories from the diet soda.

So while eating hundreds of Splenda packets is not exactly the same, it does give reason for caution when consuming any "diet" sweetener.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
(female)

Phi HB User

Yes, that's right. Sometimes, I eat 300-400 packets a day. Although, it's not like EVERYDAY I eat that much Splenda...I can't afford it. lol

Haha, the ironic thing is one time I even did a research paper on artificial sweeteners. It mostly talked about their use, chemical structure, the relationship between their increased use and the worsening obesity epidemic, and all that good stuff. I also like to research a little of it from time to time whenever I get a good craving for sweetness.

However, even though I know all that, I still end up eating 300-400 packets of Splenda a day, once I get my hands on that 1000 packet box.

Even though I'm not overweight, my diet isn't that great. I basically eat NO meals, but snack on things like potato bread, crackers, chips, anything we have in the house. I used to have a very good, protein and vegetable-rich diet a few years ago, but I was hungry very often, and I guess that caused my new "no meals, all snacks" diet, without the healthy stuff.

Basically, any one of my Splenda concoctions is considered a "meal" during the day.

Last edited by Phi; 01-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
(female)

Enzymelover HB User
Red face Re: Eating a lot of Splenda. How worried should I be?

Oh dear. Here I go again. I will quote from an article I found two years ago on the internet. It is written by a biochemist and physician named James Bowen. It is entitled, "The Lethal Science of Splenda, A Poisonous Chlorocarbon" Splenda\sucralose is chlorinated sugar; a chlorocarbon. Common chlorocarbons include carbon tetrachloride, trichlorethelene, and methylene chloride, all deadly.
<removed>
There's a lot more to it, but you get the idea. Splenda is toxic, incompatible with human metabolism, pure poison. It can cause immune system destruction, birth defects, cancer and more, according to Dr. Bowen.
Don't confuse sucralose with sucrose. One is poison, the other is food.

Enzy

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-12-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: do not post copyrighted material

Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I have to disagree with some of the studies out there saying that artificial sweeteners cause weight gain because I use them regularly and have lost weight. In fact, over the past year or so, I don't really care for sweets as much. I eat a powebar most days for breakfast just because it's quick and easy, and that's the only sweet I eat unless it's fruit. Only occasionally do I want something sweet like a dessert. I do have coffee and use 2 packets of splenda with skim milk, and I like diet sodas (I have about one a day). I can't say I know too much about the risks of splenda and it's hard to know which studies are accurate and which are just studies, but I'd suggest taking down the amount you eat of it because it's best to have it in moderation.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I cant get past the 300-400 packets a day...No matter what the other details are, that is obviously too many - by far! If one were supposed to eat 300-400 packages of anything, they should be packaging it in bags 300-400 times larger!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I bet if you were to stick in the 5-10 packets per day range, that would be okay! There are plenty of cookbooks out there that use Splenda instead of sugar, so you still get plenty of it in these recipes. I always use Splenda in my coffee and don't plan on switching to sugar, as I don't like the way it tastes together (and I don't care for unsweetened coffee). I just try to have only 1-2 packs per coffee and limit myself to 1-2 small cups of coffee per day.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Hi Phi,

You didn't say how old you are. You're more likely to do well with your poor diet if you're still relatively young. You might even do well enough to live a normal life span. But by eating a poor diet, you increase your risk for health problems as you get older.

Just because you're okay so far doesn't mean you'll be okay in 5 or 10 years. By the time you find out what problems are caused by your diet, it may be to late to turn things around.

This reminds me of a short poem I once read and I wish I had it with me. The title of the poem is: "The Optimist". I can't give it to you line by line but I can tell you about it. The poem is about a man who falls from the top of a 10 or 12 story building. And as he passes each window bar he hollers out, "Ok so far".

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-10-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
(female)

Torbiting HB User

writeleft;

Hi, So I am very very interested in your Splenda consumption, because I am eating about 700 packets a day, at the least! I feel like I am addicted & I just kept adding more & more. Its expensive & I try & hide my habit, but my family knows. I get these huge boxes at Costco or order online. The thing is I am gaining weight, too, but I cannot stop the Splenda. I don't know if the weight gain is due to a steady increase in Splenda or if it is just because I gain wt. so easy (that is how my body always is) & have been forced to be quite inactive, due to recent illness. I am scared that I am addicted to the stuff. Its strange, because other people use a packet & they can taste it in their coffee or tea, but I cannot & never could. I wonder what the chemical composition has to do with it, as I am wondering if there is something habit forming about it for some people. Do you know anyone else with this situation?
Thanks so much!!!
Torbiting

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-12-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
(female)

Torbiting HB User

Phi;

Your Splenda consumption sounds like mine, except I am use more & pretty much & every day! This is the 1st time I have heard anyone else voice how much Splenda they use. Have you noticed any negative side effects, like weight gain, fatigue, or pain? I worry its bad for me & it is is bad for my pocket book!!! I can't stop eating the stuff, so its hard to see if symptoms I have had for a decade are worse with the increase in Splenda or not.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-12-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
(female)

Torbiting HB User

Enzymelover;

Where can I read more abou this & would it account for Splenda having an addictive quality? That is the big problem! I would be interested in having a clearer understanding of the science behind the claim that it relates to fatigue, weight gain, pain & illness. The only times I have not used any have been when I have been where I couldn't get any by any means (eg in the hospital), but when I have been in the hospital or out of town my physical problems have only become worse in terms of fatigue.

Closed Thread