It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
(male)

Black Eyes HB User
Question My friends poor diet = poor health. Help?

Hi.
My best friend and flatmate has a terrible diet and I think a possible eating problem.
Firstly he is 20 and quite underweight and so is not very healthy.
His main diet consists of these things:

- Oven Chips (pretty much everyday)
- Burgers (most days)
- Breaded Fish (most days)
- Plain pasta (occasionaly)
- Toast (occasionaly)
- Baked Beans (occasionaly)
- Biscuits, chocolate, sweets (every day)
- Breakfast cereal (some days)

Now these are the things he has for his 'main meals' (mostly processed foods)
however somedays, he doesnt make a meal at all, and I suspect
just eats biscuits or chocolate in his room instead. Now I have tried time and time again to
convince him to add fruit, vegtables and fresh food to his diet, eat proper meals and vary his food types. However he remains stubborn and maintains there is no problem. (he believes plain pasta with breaded fish is his healthy meal) Or else buys some vegtables, maintains he will use them, but of course, they remain uneaten.
I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to convince him to tackle this. His diet worries me as like I mentioned before, he is quite underweight, usually in poor health and suffers from health problems such as asthma and chest restriction. Despite the fact I have explained to him many times that he could end up with some very very serious health problems very soon in his life, he doesnt do much about it.
So, any tips on how to help him, and the things that may lay ahead for him if he doesnt change his diet? thank you.

Last edited by Black Eyes; 01-30-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: My friends poor diet = poor health. Help?

Black Eyes,

You are a fine friend for being concerned about the long-term health of your friend.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do to make changes in his diet -- it's his life after all. You can cook healthy meals in your flat for the both of you from time to time, but otherwise he has the right to choose his diet for himself.

By the same token, you also have a life to live. You can hope that your good eating habits and yummy meals will entice him to broaden his choices of food, but he may not change. As much as you care about him, your primary purpose in life is to live your own to the best of your ability. My suggestion is to enjoy him for the qualities that made him your best friend in the first place, and learn to accept that there are things about him that you don't have control over.

Here are some cyber-hugs for you, because I know that it hurts to see our friends like this --

--Rheanna

Closed Thread