It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
(male)

Divvy HB User
Fruit at night

Hi,

I've recently had a medical, which showed high sugars in the urine, and a subsequent fasting blood test showed a glucose level of 8.3. Okay, not good news but expected given my lifestyle.

I'm 40 and overweight (19 stones, 6'3"). Doc wants me to go straight to treatment for diabetes, but I know they need 2 blood tests to confirm it so not going down that route yet. I'm going to try the old weight loss/exercise thing first. That's a bit of background for you.

So, with the help of my wife, and a friend, I've got a sort of diet planned out, low carbs, multigrain bread (minimal amounts taken), wholemeal pasta (reducing the portion), more salads etc. All seems to be taking care of itself, apart from 1 area - fruit.

I know fruit has natural sugars in it, and given my potential diagnosis, I want to avoid sugar. So what's the story here. I've a bit of a problem in that I work very random shifts, so may get home at 10pm, sometimes later. Can I eat fruit late at night, is there a limit to the amount of fruit I can have in a day. Favourite fruits are banana, grapes, raspberries. Any advice you can offer will be gladly received. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Fruit at night

Divvy,

About bananas: A banana is different than most other fruits because it's starchy. It's 85% starch. I believe the GI is about 60 for a ripe banana which is a little high. So I think it would be wise to limit your intake and balance it with some other food that has a low glycemic index. I suppose one serving would be about a half cup or half of a medium banana. That should be enough.

Is there a limit to the amount of fruit per day?: The food pyramid suggests 2 to 4 servings per day. It might be a good idea to limit yourself to one serving of fruit per meal and one serving with a balanced snack.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-15-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Changed GI rating from 77 to 60

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Hi there,

I'm assuming that your diabetes is type 2. Therefore any fruit should be fine, even the starchy ones...although if you're lowering carbs then bananas are not such a good choice. They are full of potassium though which makes you feel good and helps you sleep. I eat them at night if I can't sleep or I feel like something but don't want something bad.

I wouldn't worry about your fruit intake (so long as you're eating 3 serves a day) unless the dr says otherwise. Eating fruit instead of something else is going to help you on your weight loss quest.

If you make up most of your diet with veggies, fruit and lean protein, you won't feel so bad about the wholegrain carbs and it's much easier to sustain over a long period.

Good luck and good on you for making this choice - type 2 diabetes is curable...but you have to be willing to make the lifestyle choices of a good diet and exercise. Sounds like you're on the right track

Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Correction & additional information

Divvy,

I changed a number on my previous post. I don't think bananas are 77 on the glycemic index. In the book "Sugar Busters" they have ripe bananas at 60. In "The New Glucose Revolution" the average banana is 52. But the advice about servings will stay the same.

One thing I noticed is that some fruits that seem like they might be about the same are actually very different. Take prunes and razins: The GI of prunes is only 29 and a 1/4 cup serving has 13 grams of sugar. Razins, on the other hand, have a GI of 64 and 1/4 cup has 29 grams of sugar. It seems that that would make prunes a better choice than razins.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Keep in mind, the harder it is to chew the better it is for you. Like raw veggies. Fruit is the same. One of a babies first foods is bananas. It is not a good choice for your situation. Choose something that you have to chew- grapefruits, apples and add a handful of almonds to have a good fat that slows the absorption of the carb. It will keep your insulin levels stable which helps the body store LESS fat.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Apples with peanut butter or cheese is also a good choice.

Closed Thread