It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Natural Non-Processed Eating- need ideas!

I've been trying to cut out a lot of processed foods out of my diet, but I find that I eat a lot of the same things over and over! To avoid getting too bored of the same foods, I thought I'd come for some advice

I love lean protein and I eat lots of it. I usually go for grilled chicken breast since it's low in fat and calories (and tastes great!). I eat lean beef about once per week. I recently bought some tilapia, which is new for me, and will experiment with it. Other than that, I'm out of ideas! I am not a big cook, but if it's an easy recipe, I'm willing to give it a try. I don't really care for pork and I avoid any very fattening or salty meats.

I love to make salads! I eat a lot of fresh spinach leaves and spring mix, as well as other salad leaves. I like to add in lots of fresh tomato and some avocado. Unfortunately I have a sensitive stomach and a lot of veggies don't agree with me, but I eat what I can! I also love fruit. Berries and peaches are my favorite. Fruit is my main source of sweets.

After my meats, fruits, and veggies, I start to run out of ideas! I can't eat a lot of dairy because of a lactose sensitivity. I can eat certain cheeses in small amounts, but unfortunately can't really have yogurt or cottage cheese anymore. Peanuts, almonds, and pistachios also bother my stomach and make me very bloated. I do like walnuts, cashews, and macademias. I snack on dried veggie chips from the bulk foods area in my grocery store quite often.

For my carbs, I love Ezekiel sprouted grain bread. I also like sweet potatoes. I try to not eat a lot of other breads, but occasionally I'll have a whole wheat pita stuffed with turkey and vegetables. Fruit is another good carb source for me.

I also am safe to eat eggs, which I enjoy scrambled with salsa and a little bit of veggie bacon. Other items I don't care for are beans and tofu. I am starting to eat small amounts of black beans, but only when mixed with other things.

I feel like for almost every meal I eat chicken and salad, and the same snacks over and over! The one processed food I don't give up are my protein bars, because I often need a quick meal on the go. I try to find one lower in sugar and low glycemic. Any other ideas for some good, nutritious meals (or snacks) that aren't overly processed? When I eat fresh foods, I feel more energized and better in general. I have some healthy cookbooks, but they're still a little less natural than I prefer to try to eat. I might just aim to have at least the majority of my food not too processed for the long run if I have too hard a time!

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Natural Non-Processed Eating- need ideas!

tUrRrRa,

One thing you didn't mention is healthy home made soup. I like salads too but lately I've been eating more soups than salads. Although I lke to nibble on lots of raw veggies while I'm waiting for the soup to finish cooking. I'll have a (raw) stalk of celery, a carrot, radish, cauliflower etc.. Then I'll have the soup which also contains vegetables like fresh garlic, half onion, chopped dark-leafy-greens of various kinds or broccoli. I also include a small serving of whole grain rice, pasta or wheat berries etc. in the soup.

Do I get bored with it? Not usually because every soup is different. No two soups are ever the same. I can use different beans, lentils or split peas. I can use different vegetables, starches and flavorings/spices.

I never use recipes. Every soup is my own creation and I just think it's more fun that way.

A word about lactose sensitivity: They say it gets worse if you don't have any lactose at all. Have you heard that? I even read that it might be possible to gradually overcome it. (Although I shouldn't say that because I don't believe in eating dairy.) If you want to give it a try, you might find some way to just eat a very small amount, like one level teaspoon of plain yogurt each morning. Then you might gradually develop the necessary bacteria needed for lactose digestion.

P.S. I stopped eating all soy products a few days ago. What motivated me was that I felt I was developing a "brain fog". So now I make my morning oatmeal with just plain water and about one ounce of pomegranate juice. Then get lots of flavor from various fruits and nuts.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-09-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: To add P.S.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thanks a lot for your reply! I'll definitely have to start looking into making soups, especially in the fall and winter. Soup is one thing I haven't been eating much these days because of the hot weather, but I do enjoy it (but not the canned soups super high in sodium!). That's true that you can make each soup different. I'm like that with my salads, although I still eat pretty similar ones. I like to try new things in them!

For some reason, whole wheat pasta makes me painfully bloated. So, I don't eat it at all. Pasta is something I just stopped eating because of this. White pasta doesn't bother me, but it's one of those foods I try to not eat. I can eat brown and wild rice though, and I do like rice in soup.

I've heard a little bit about that with the dairy products! Very interesting. Perhaps I'm doing an okay job with that anyway because I do tend to eat some dairy. I like to occasionally snack on string cheese, cheddar cheese, or brie. I'm usually okay with a small amount of yogurt, but the greek yogurt bothered me a bit more. I can eat the Yoplait brand just fine, but those still have extra sugar in them. They're like a treat for me though!

That's interesting about the soy products. I keep my soy to a minimum because I hear mixed things about it. I haven't noticed getting a "brain fog" from any foods, but I tend to get this way anyway due to my allergies (lots of sinus pressure). I definitely don't want to eat anything that would make it worse!

When you make your oatmeal, what kind of oatmeal do you use? Do you use a plain rolled oats kind or steel cut, or something else? Maybe I should start eating some oatmeal with berries a bit more. I enjoy it and it's filling.

Thanks again for your reply

Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What about turkey? You can buy just the breast. Very good for you - roast it and you can have to put on your salad, as an entree, in soups, etc. You need more seafood also! Wow...only talapia? Salmon is great for you...bake it, pan roast it. A good salsa for it is chopped tomatoes, minced shallot, capers, basil, olive oil and lemon juice. Fast, easy and addictive (for me, anyway). I don't know where you live or what's available fresh there but I have a fish market near my house and I go most weeks. I'm Cajun so I love my seafood - and spicey, too!

And I could probably eat chicken every day for a month and never use the same recipe - that's how many good ones I have! Most of them have only 4 - 6 ingredients. A nice chicken breast, a green salad, a veggie...easy, fresh, good for you.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I always love chicken! So many ways to prepare it. Yup, Tichou, I am not a big seafood person. I usually have to be in the food for anything with a fishier taste, such as salmon or tuna. I do like it though- just not too often! I also love sushi, but I usually get the cooked variety just to be on the safe side. I absolutely love crab! I just don't really know how to prepare it and know it can be difficult. I'll definitely have to try adding in a little more seafood for something different though. I also enjoy shrimp! I used to grill shrimp with some lemon juice and it was very good, but for some reason I got tired of it quickly.

I do like turkey! Maybe I can buy a partial turkey so I don't have a roast a whole turkey and then just pick at the white meat. Turkey does make me tired though! I think it tastes great though and I like using leftovers to make turkey sandwiches. So much better than lunch meat! Luckily my grocery store does sell a decent lunch meat that isn't as high in sodium and preservatives as other brands, but it's still not the same as fresh turkey!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post

That's interesting about the soy products. I keep my soy to a minimum because I hear mixed things about it. I haven't noticed getting a "brain fog" from any foods, but I tend to get this way anyway due to my allergies (lots of sinus pressure). I definitely don't want to eat anything that would make it worse!

When you make your oatmeal, what kind of oatmeal do you use? Do you use a plain rolled oats kind or steel cut, or something else? Maybe I should start eating some oatmeal with berries a bit more. I enjoy it and it's filling.

Thanks again for your reply
The research on soy that I read about was in the book, "Beyond The 120 Year Diet" by Dr. Roy Walford. If I remember correctly, all the research subjects were older men. There were thousands of men that were tested at the beginning and then followed for many years. When they were tested at the end of the study their average scores were low enough to cause concern. We might imagine all kinds of other reasons for that, but Dr. Walford stated that the study appeared to be a "well done study". He expressed his disappointment because if it wasn't for the possibility of soy causing "brain atrophy" he thought it could be helpful.

I used soy for almost 10 years and never noticed any bad effects. But it could be that it finally caught up with me, and it might depend on age as well as long term usage. And it might have to do with gender; I don't know if women would experience the same results. It's too bad that some food products have to be so complicated.

I use steel-cut oats after soaking overnight.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks again for your reply! I've heard good things about steel cut oatmeal, but I haven't tried it. Sounds like it's something I'll have to experiment with and learn how to prepare. Right now I only have the plain, regular rolled oats.

So, I think the new foods I'll be trying to eat more of will include the oatmeal, more homemade soups (especially when the weather is cooler), and trying a little more seafood to add some variety!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #8
(male)

Jbr21 HB User

Hi there, it is a tough one trying to be inventive with healthy eating! There only seems like a few things to try before reaching for the sweet stuff!

You could look into making your soups as an idea for veggies and sweet potatoes. Because you are making them yourself they tend have more back bone that the processing stuff and are more filling. Most recipes can be found online and all you need is a blender really.

With fish, if you look far and wide, you can get some decent recipes for fish cakes using cod or coley and these are quite healthy as you make them yourself and can add what you wish. My favourite are thai fishcakes with coley, which is an excellent protein source.

Here is a recipe for you, which I share with people with a sweet tooth!

Banana Maple Protein Snack Wraps

Ingredients:

-1 8″ 100% Whole Wheat Tortilla
-1 medium banana
-2 tablespoons of all natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
-1 tablespoon of slivered almonds
-1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
-1-2 tablespoons of sugar free maple syrup

Directions:

In a separate bowl, mash banana and protein powder together with a fork until combined.

Spread the peanut butter onto the tortilla. Top with the banana mixture.

Sprinkle with almonds, then drizzle with maple syrup

Hope this was valuable!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-21-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
(male)

titan38 HB User

It doesn't sound as though you need any ideas! Keep up the good work.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
(female)

alltaurus HB User

Turkey burgers are great.

There are so many ways to make chicken. Simmer in marinara sauce with herbs, or make fajitas, I add hot sauce to mayo and slice up chicken and serve in a tortilla wrap,

tuna wraps,

salmon is good (dip in some real maple syrup, then bake or broil), It won't taste fish it will have a crisp slightly sweep outer layer when done

whitefish with white sauce or lemon sauce. (takes away the fishy taste)

I love scallops simmered in a marinara with red wine

Add a baked potato to your meal (I eat with homemade italian dressing intead of butter and sour cream)

Closed Thread