It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

scbksp HB User
Whats the verdict with soy?

hello,

I need to increase the amount of protein in my diet. I do not drink dairy and have started to drink soy. It is non gm so good, but I have read so many things saying that soy causes cancer, and weight gain and blocks the absorption of other nutrients. Does anybody know anything more about this?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Whats the verdict with soy?

scbksp,

Over a period of many years I have gradually come to the conclusion that it's not the best idea to drink any of your nutrients, whether it be fruit juice, protein shakes, cows milk or soymilk. They all have some good aspects but then they have their bad aspects too.

One warning I heard about soy (that you haven't mentioned) is that long term usage can cause "brain atrophy". This was a well designed large scale study that lasted several years. Thousands of men were tested before and after.

That's the main reason I stopped drinking soymilk. I only drank about 1 cup per day but felt that my thinking was becoming impaired. I had been using soy for about 10 years before I noticed this strange effect. I also ate some dry roasted soybeans on occasion to boost my protein intake.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-28-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: word change & spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

Actually, I think soybeans in their natural state (dried soybean snacks, edamame, etc.) are perfectly healthy for you. Soy milk is different because it's so heavily processed - it can cause allergic reactions in many people. I think you're right about not drinking your nutrients. I thrive on lots of water and a little bit of coffee. I hardly ever drink any kind of milk and my bones have actually gotten stronger because of it.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
(female)

sjb81 HB User

Yes I've heard of several studies done to prove that drinking cow's milk actually CAUSES osteoporosis.

I've recently been reading about the issues with soy products and have stopped using them as much. I was wondering about the soybeans though... you would think that in their natural state, they'd be healthy, right? (Thanks, Arggg, for pointing that out...I was wondering).

I like John's point on just not drinking our nutrients at all. It makes total sense to me. I like it.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of diet I want to follow. I've taken an interest in vegan/vegetarian living even though I'm not 100% on it. But the protein has to come from somewhere and now I'm just not so sold on the soy like I used to be.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Even the anti-soy people (and, as a matter of disclosure, I am in that camp) believe that fermented soy is okay. It is very easy to work tempeh into most dishes; and of course miso is wonderful.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb81 View Post
Yes I've heard of several studies done to prove that drinking cow's milk actually CAUSES osteoporosis.
Of course, most studies are studying pasteurized, homogenized milk.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

One thing that hasen't been addressed is the very high sodium content of many soy products. I'm talking about things like soy-dogs, soy-burgers and soy-cheese. Even things like dry-roasted soybeans can be salted. In my opinion, any product high in sodium can no longer be considered healthy. And I already have doubts about soy, even without the high sodium.

Why did many Americans get interested in soy in the first place? I think it was because we heard that the Japanese eat soy and live longer healthier lives. But what many people don't know is that the Japanese government puts restrictions on the amount of sodium that can be added to soy products. There are no such restrictions here in the U.S. and food processors really pile on the sodium.

But as I said, I have my doubts about soy, even without the high sodium. So I choose to leave soy out of my diet. Why worry about soy when there are so many other (non-processed) beans available. We can eat black beans, red beans, kidney beans, chick peas, navy beans, and many others. You soak them overnight, cook them, eat them in soups or salads, and nothing could be better for your health.

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-05-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: The word unprocessed keeps getting censored so I changed it to nonprocessed

Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
(female)

ACurious1 HB User

My mom would make soymilk at home. She did so for the phytoestrogen as she was post-menopause. I wonder now if the harm from processing spoken of above is eliminated if you make soymilk at home?

But I don't believe that processing is really the matter, here. I think it is the actual substances in the bean (phytates?), only removed through fermentation, that are harmful.

As for plant-protein, 100% of my consumption, beans and legumes have provided me with sufficient protein. A variety of nuts, seeds, beans and legumes, and grains, is all one needs to assure enough protein, IMO. The key word is variety.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
(female)

paxhong HB User

i'd stay away from soy...when my mom started buying soymilk i got realli sick, and i got better from switching back to milk

Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg View Post
Even the anti-soy people (and, as a matter of disclosure, I am in that camp) believe that fermented soy is okay. It is very easy to work tempeh into most dishes; and of course miso is wonderful.
Yes auntjudyg - I have read this as well. I am going to work some fermented soy into my menus.

Closed Thread