It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
(female)

lostinal HB User
Question Stonyfield Yogurt Causing Gas

Not certain if I'm posting on the correct board. I had my gallbladder out several years ago & have had little trouble with gas pains since. I do have GERD and a hiatal hernia; take Omeprazole in the AM & Famotidine in the PM for those problems.

I usually buy either Yoplait or a Greek yogurt and have not had problems with either. I am not lactose-intolerant. I just purchased some Stonyfield Non-Fat Yogurt for the first time to try it.

I ate one mid-morning yesterday & proceeded to get gas pains, for which I took a Phazyme. Today ate another around mid-morning & have had unrelieved gas pain since. Taken Phazyme plus Gas-X, plus drank a ginger ale. Gas pain not quite as bad, but the discomfort is still present; like a pressure in the center of my chest. The remainder of my diet is my normal foods. No change except for the Stonyfield.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I've read that there are more 'cultures' present in this brand; is that what could be causing the trouble. I'm amazed since I thought 'organic' products were supposed to actually be better for one. This brand was not economical & it really distresses me to have to throw out the other 3 cartons!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
Re: Stonyfield Yogurt Causing Gas

I would try eating the yoghurt quite away from any meal and then at room temperature. I think the best time for having it is as a late afternoon snack (4-5PM) and without any other food. Wait a couple of hours before having your dinner.

You may not be lactose-intolerant, but what about the casein (milk protein)?

In any case, don't have the yoghurt every day. You can also try other kinds of probiotics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User
Re: Stonyfield Yogurt Causing Gas

You can buy the cultures in pill form and start with a low dose and work upwards at your own pace. They are extremely effective - I know. You may be reacting to lactose or casein in the yogurt. You might want to consider eliminating yogurt from your diet, especially if you can get the cultures another way.

Closed Thread